• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powdered Milk?

In God We Trust

NES Member
Anyone tried it? I have a bunch of the provident pantry stuff for my son, but I don't drink milk, so I have not tasted it.

Wish I had asked before I bought a years supply. All they sell is non fat in powdered, so am I losing much nutritional value? My son is 1 year old if that makes a difference.

We have Morning Moo. Not too bad. A trick a friend that is LDS told me was to put just a little vanilla pudding powder in to give it some flavor. Just a little makes a big difference.

I just got samples of stuffed shipped to me from Wise. Not sure what I am getting but worth a try if you want to see.

Just fill in your info online and they will call you the next day to confirm who you are and your address.

I can't comment on giving it to kids, but I would assume that if the lights go out it would be better than nothing. I have Carnation brand powdered milk. You can find it in big bags when you buy it at BJs club. It's always going to taste fat free but I think it's fine. The trick is to pour the powder on top of the water to have it mix easily. Also, make it the night before you want it to make sure it's really mixed well. I have a quart sized jug that seals tight so I can shake it up well. I use it regularly because I don't drink enough milk to keep it from spoiling in the fridge. I just make powdered milk as needed.

I grew up on it. Just like going from whole to 2% and then again to skim, there is an adjustment. It tastes really watery compared with what you might be used to but you can get used to anything. If you are already drinking skim it'll be an easier adjustment. It is more palatable at first when served ice cold-not that it is possible during a prepper scenario.

As noted powdered milk has taste issues but it will last for a couple of years if left unopened.

As in many many years. Tested and proven first hand. There's no fat in it to go rancid.

As for taste, its just something that will have to be overlooked in lieu of nutrition in hard times. Add some kind of chocolate to it or some shake mix.

Its a great dry product to store away, light, not too bulky and nutritious.

We have Morning Moo. Not too bad. A trick a friend that is LDS told me was to put just a little vanilla pudding powder in to give it some flavor. Just a little makes a big difference.

+1 Morning Moo is probably the best tasting powder milk I have tried.

With nothing to give a child or your family, it would taste awesome. The only thing that sucks about powered milk, as far as I know, is that it doesn't last longer than a year?

Keep it for emergencies. Taste watery but then again that will be the least of your concerns when you are keeping the hordes of zombies at bay

I keep regular dry milk on hand and as most say "it's an acquired taste". BUT, it does have GREAT uses. Just not as a glass of milk...lol
It works great if you bake at all or it's being added to something (Pancakes, muffins, batter and the like) Especially if you hike and make mixes that you just need to add water to. I've also used it as emergency creamer for coffee.

Grew up in a hurricane prone region. Survival is in my blood. Powder milk is not my favorite but when in need, beggars can't be choosers.
Just like Crocodile Dundee eloquently said: "Ah, well... You can live on it... But it tastes like shit"

Used to use the "Milkman" brand, it was better than the boxed stuff. OK for cereal, cooking, just not for drinking. Maybe with some Nestle Quik it would taste better.

Mix some up and stick it in the fridge overnight THEN try it. it does make a differeance in Taste. We are storing Aldi's brand as we like it as much as the ones from the storage food providors. (we oven can it to ensure longer life. )

powdered milk is best when it's very cold. We drank a lot of this stuff growing up. Always sucked when you were ready for cereal and no one had made milk the night before and you had to drink it warm. Oh yeah, the stuff we had you basically had to mix it with luke warm water to get it to dissolve even with vigorous shaking of the jug.

I forget the brand now, but I've bought some from Walmart before, chucked it into a bin and forgotten about it until a snowstorm or other happening. Make it the night before, and it isn't much different from Skim. In fact, in cereal or chocolate milk it doesn't taste too bad, but I didn't care for it drinking it straight. My toddler liked it just fine. Wife couldn't stand it. But once I gave it to her and didn't tell her it was the powdered and she said it was fine, so... It also worked fine in Mac and Cheese and a few other things we cooked with.

I'm a big fan of Parmalat, shelf stable milk in a tetra pak. Not sure how it lasts, but it's gotta be good for a couple of years. Tastes like real milk.

Back
Top Bottom