• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder

What powder should be used for loading handgun rounds?
Also do you have a preference of primers that you use?

Thanks
Adam

700X and 800X. Both I get from Black Hills. You have to be dealer to buy from them, and Class 6 FFL's get an even better break.

I use Winchester Primers for both rifle and pistol ammo. Less chance of slam fires, and a safer priming compound.

Burning Rate. 800X is slower. Both can be used in several calibers, including 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Amount of powder will likely be differnet from one to the other.

700X can be used in about anything that Bullseye can. Don't use Bullseye data for 700X, though. They use DIFFERENT amounts for any given application. I currently use 2.7 gr of 700X and a 100 gr bullet for my 7.62 Nagant Revolver ammo. Bullseye would be 3 gr.

800X is a slightly larger grain powder, making it more suitable for hotter loads like 10mm or the .357 or .44 magnums. 700x tends to work somewhat better for things like .38 Special and .45 ACP.

Ken

Adam, if you don't already have one, buy a Lee Loading Manual. Lots of info for loads, and you can see the comparison of powders.

Ken, IIRC, I use 700X in the 9 and 45, and the 800X in the 40.

I use Winchester Super Target for my .45 loads. For my my .38 I used Alliant Bullseye. And for my .357 I use Hodgdon Clays. But that's because my .357 is my cowboy loads.

I've been reading about this IMR Trail Boss powder. But I haven't seen any to buy it.

And I'm sure that Nickle can talk about the different powders better than I can.

C-pher said:
Oh, and I've always used CGI primers.

Nickel, what's the difference? I've never had a problem with CGI before. Should I be worried?

Do you mean CCI? They're OK, they also don't seem to slam fire. Rem 7 1/2's don't seem to slam fire either.

The rest of Remington and Federal are OK, but don't use them in semi-auto rifles, especially military design rifles. The priming compound is more sensitive, therefore, more likely to slam fire.

In bolt or lever guns, or handguns, no problem, and yes, Federal makes the best match primers.

Not a dumb ass, I make similar mistakes all the time. Just look how much I have to edit my posts.

I was just making sure, before I commented. And again, CCI are fine.

Yea, we were talking about computer graphics and how they did some of the things in a commerical. And I think that I just got them confused when I was typing.

I do that all the time.

And I just read your other post. How cool is it that you Dad can make brass? I just think that it's pretty neat.

Can he do Nickel plated? I'm looking for a TON of .357 nickel plated pretty cheap.

He doesn't make brass, he makes ammo. He has to reform and turn the brass to make the 7.63x21 from something else. I've done some of that work in the past. Turning 41 Long Colt into 8mm Nambu is an experience.

The 357's, did you want new, or used? Once fired 357 Mag's are hard to come by and not cheap. New stuff isn't that hard to get. You can PM me, I'll get you a source if you want new.

I haven't reloaded carry ammo (just targets rounds), however, I'm thinking about doing that. Does anyone have a favorite they use for defensive rounds? Or is there no real difference?

Lynne, what caliber? Makes a difference.

9mm, I buy Mag Tech Ammo.

40 and 45, I use Rem JHP bullets, 180 and 185 respectively.

38 Spl +P level or 357, I'd have to check into.

Sorry hun - I meant powder. :D But it would be for both the 9mm and the .40 (I have a ton of .38 loads so I don't need to do them) and I probably would have gotten around to asking about the projectile. :D

Oh, OK. First thing, ALL my handguns that I use full power loads in are all REALLY strong. Do NOT use max loads in a less than 100% strong gun.

Look up the loads in Lee's loading manual. I start up from 10% under max, then work up to Max.

I'm using 700X for full power loads in the 9 and 45, 800X in the 40. I'm loading at Lee's listed Max. The 9's are a Glock and a Helwan, The 40 is a Smith Sigma SW40 series, the 45's are a 1911A1 built on an Essex Frame, and a 1917 Colt Revolver (ex-US Army). 115 gr bullets in the 9, 180 gr bullets in the 40 and 185 gr bullets in the 45. These show about the highest velocity of all the powders for these calibers.

C-pher said:
Can he do Nickel plated? I'm looking for a TON of .357 nickel plated pretty cheap.

If you are looking for Nickel plated .357 brass, I have ~1000 cases once-fired for sale. I have a similar quantity of .38SP Nickel plated once-fired brass for sale. Also have a bucket full of 9mm once-fired (police qual) and maybe some other calibers in that load.

Still have ~4K of 148gr full WC Zero bullets (swaged) for .38/.357 to sell off. Don't shoot revolver any more and will be reloading only clad/jacketed bullets from now on.

Send me a PM if interested. I do expect to be down in No. Attleboro either Friday evening or Saturday to serve some papers, but don't know if I'll have time to dig out all the stuff before then if you are interested.

The 40 owner is my son-in-law. Nice to know my daughter is safe. Besides, her protection weapon at home is a Ruger Red Label, 20 guage. That'll definitel "leave a mark".

The MAX Lee load for 800X is safe in the Smith. They're pretty strong, I call them a "Poor man's Glock", not quite as nice, but very usable, easy to shoot, and usually fairly reasonable ($).

LenS said:
C-pher said:

If you are looking for Nickel plated .357 brass, I have ~1000 cases once-fired for sale. I have a similar quantity of .38SP Nickel plated once-fired brass for sale. Also have a bucket full of 9mm once-fired (police qual) and maybe some other calibers in that load.

Still have ~4K of 148gr full WC Zero bullets (swaged) for .38/.357 to sell off. Don't shoot revolver any more and will be reloading only clad/jacketed bullets from now on.

Send me a PM if interested. I do expect to be down in No. Attleboro either Friday evening or Saturday to serve some papers, but don't know if I'll have time to dig out all the stuff before then if you are interested.

PM Sent. And don't stress on the time. I don't need it by this weekend anyway. And Saturday is the send off for my Brother-in-law. He's off to Iraq.

Ok... I'll throw this out then... I could use some 45ACP brass if anyone has any they are willing to part with.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom