• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder

Winchester 231 worked well for me. it is very versatile, especially in reduced loads. Hodgdon titegroup not so much.

Could some one suggest a good clean all around powder to use loading 9mm, 40,45.
Thanks in advance.

WST is fairly clean, but very little data for 9mm. Cleanliness is relative, especially when you figure what is actually happening in the firing process.
Among the Hodgdon family, CFE Pistol seems to give top velocities in those calibers and has ample data in each across most bullet types and weights (same with 231, 700X, Titegroup), but I can't say how clean it is; haven't ever used it yet.

What type of velocity are you looking for? If you're not looking for fast +p loads, Vihtavouri N320 is considered to be one of the most cleanest powders. There are slower Vihtavouri powders (N340 and N350 for example) if you want more velocity

I find TG makes the 9mm cases dirty, but not my gun. It also produces low muzzle flash.

I've used Bullseye with 45 and 147gr 9mm, it's not too dirty in 45, but I can't say how it is in 9mm since that's my suppressor load -- so the gun is filthy after a few rounds due to the can.

I use CFE PISTOL for 9mm, .45ACP, .357 MAG and light .44 MAG loads. I find it pretty clean, it seems to be pretty fast burning, so depending on the load it gets a little snappy but were using firearms not cap guns.

Winchester 231 worked well for me. it is very versatile, especially in reduced loads. Hodgdon titegroup not so much.

+1. WW 231 is the first powder I ever used for non magnum loads in 38, 9mm, 40, and 45, and it is still my favorite. Availability is a problem; look also for Hodgdon HP 38 which is the same powder.

I'm using Alliant Power Pistol for 9mm.

I hear such great things about PP in 9mm but have yet to try it out. I have about 4 pounds on hand but I've only used it for light 357 mag, 44 mag, and 7.62x25 tokarev loads.

I hear such great things about PP in 9mm but have yet to try it out. I have about 4 pounds on hand but I've only used it for light 357 mag, 44 mag, and 7.62x25 tokarev loads.

PP is great for accuracy but tends to be flashy and loud. I use about 5.2 GR with 125 GR Blues for a nice open minor load. It's better loaded near or at max.

PP is great for accuracy but tends to be flashy and loud.

I did notice that in those calibers I mentioned. Especially in 7.62x25 - for a gun made in the 50s and cost me $250, it will shoot ragged holes at ~45 feet (using 86 gr JSPs or 90 gr XTPs). It is rather loud and has good muzzle flash which is a nice effect[laugh]

PP is great for accuracy but tends to be flashy and loud. I use about 5.2 GR with 125 GR Blues for a nice open minor load. It's better loaded near or at max.

Has anyone had any experience with Alliant BE-86. It's advertised as having a flash suppressant.

Has anyone had any experience with Alliant BE-86. It's advertised as having a flash suppressant.

I use it. It meters really well. Good velocity--and as you said, it does have a flash suppressant.

Here is the reloading data.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=38

ETA:

9MM http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=38&cartridge=23

.45 ACP http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=38&cartridge=35

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom