• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Where do you store your powder? Until recently, my reloading was done inside in a tempature controlled environment. Now it is in my garage which is subject to the heat and humidity of the South. I was recently reading some opinions on powder degradation and wondering what some of the folks here have experienced. Keep in mind that I reload for accuracy for hi-power game and precision long range.

I think most everyone is putting the powder in plastic or metal containers these days so you don't have to worry about cardboard containers. I'd just make sure to put the powder that you have in your thrower and dribbler back into the container at the end of the day and you should be fine. I would try and isolate it from direct sunlight on the containers. Maybe in a cabinet or cardboard box. I had some cardboard jugs or R-15 that were in a very wet barn for a couple of years and it shot fine at 600 when I reloaded it. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't leave powder in my thrower or trickler. I just wonder how heat affects degradation even though it's closed up tight in a plastic jug. I'm wondering if humidity enters the powder to the point of affecting results when you open the jug and allow new air to enter - or if it matters how long it stays in the thrower. Just little things that may or may not affect accuracy.

That same barn was pretty hot during the summer and very cold in the winter. The powder seemed to be fine and I cant tell the difference on target. Still shoots them in the middle.

I had some 4064 that I pulled from Fed. Gold Medal 308. I needed the cases to load some ammo for the Palma rifle and I was going to re manufacture it. That was back in 96. I dumped that powder into a large yogurt container and it sat in the barn for several years, and then in the apartment for another couple of years, and then in the house for the last two years. The yougurt container started to get brittle and turn yellow and it got a crack on the side and a little leaked out but I loaded some ammo this spring and it shot pretty good. I wish I had more of it.

B

Back
Top Bottom