• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder Recommendation for 45ACP

Titegroup is the only pistol powder I’ve ever used. .45acp, .45 Colt, .38spl, 9x19, 9x18, and .380. There’s definitely a small margin for error in those smaller cases with such a powder but I took my time and worked up nice mild loads that function the guns and get decent accuracy.

I just picked up a few pounds of Auto Comp because it was on the shelf and priced pre-insanity. I’ll give it a try for .45acp if only to help save my stock of Titegroup until things return to normal-ish.

What powder do you guys like for 45ACP range plinking?

We will be pushing 230g Berry’s RN plated bullets out of a M&P Shield and a S&W 1911SC E series.

Thanks,

Bob
6.2 grs of Unique, 1.255 COAL. (1.260 works in most guns, but i brought it to 1.255 because it was a bit long for the HKs I had at the time, you couldn't unchamber a live round easily because the bullets would start to engage the rifling).

I loaded thousands of those with berrys 230's and slayed a lot of bowling pins. It's warm, but won't beat up you or the gun. Great factory substitute load.

i use winchester super target (wst). have a ton left from my trap days. works quite well.
WST would be my vote for mouse fart 230 ball loads. Will barely make low 800s maxed out in a 5.5" 1911 but shoots soft and leaves the gun clean. The only powder I've used it was cleaner than that was VV N340.

6.2 grs of Unique, 1.255 COAL. (1.260 works in most guns, but i brought it to 1.255 because it was a bit long for the HKs I had at the time, you couldn't unchamber a live round easily because the bullets would start to engage the rifling).

I loaded thousands of those with berrys 230's and slayed a lot of bowling pins. It's warm, but won't beat up you or the gun. Great factory substitute load.

Titegroup sucks for .45, unless you're making weak loads, then it'll work fine.... not a good full power 45 powder, though.

WST would be my vote for mouse fart 230 ball loads. Will barely make low 800s maxed out in a 5.5" 1911 but shoots soft and leaves the gun clean. The only powder I've used it was cleaner than that was VV N340.

Thank you Dr G.

Bob

Titegroup sucks for .45, unless you're making weak loads, then it'll work fine.... not a good full power 45 powder, though.
That’s what all my reloads are; pretty mild compared to factory. 4.4gr Titegroup with 230gr just barely gets me to power factor for IDPA/CDP in any of my 5” 1911’s.
They aren’t the best loads for bowling pins but I’ve done ok with them and who knows if we’ll ever get more pins at the one club I shoot that at anyhow!

Back
Top Bottom