Powder recommendation 38 Special/357 Magnum

I have H110 for my 357 Magnum hot loads however, not recommended for lead bullets due to needing to keep the velocity down. I am looking for a powder I can use for both lead/target loads for the 357 Magnum that I can also use for 38 Special loads. Unique and Winchester 231 seem to be two common powders that show up under both calibers in the Hornady reloading manual. However, I've read Unique is hard to meter. Any suggestions?

I have H110 for my 357 Magnum hot loads however, not recommended for lead bullets due to needing to keep the velocity down. I am looking for a powder I can use for both lead/target loads for the 357 Magnum that I can also use for 38 Special loads. Unique and Winchester 231 seem to be two common powders that show up under both calibers in the Hornady reloading manual. However, I've read Unique is hard to meter. Any suggestions?

Titegroup burns really hot so it might be better for jacketed over lead.. Unique smokes a lot, had better luck with that in .44.

I'm using Bullseye for 158/170 gr .38 and 125 gr .357
IMR 4227 for 180/200 gr .357

+1
Beat me to it.
Personally I wouldn't bother with fast burning powders like 231 or Titegroup in 357 magnum as they won't be all that powerful compared to using slower burning powders like Power Pistol, 2400, or H110/296.

Another +1 for Power Pistol for .357's when you don't have H110 or similar. I use Win231 for .38 plinking rounds.

I use Clays in .38s. with 125 and 158 Gr Lead or Coated Lead Bullets. But have used Power Pistol in .357 Sig. All with good results. Bullseye is also good in .38 Special. For .357 the old standby was 2400.

Any of the recommendations here are spot on, but I will say I've always used Unique and 2400 for .357's, buy it by the 4lb container, never had issues with metering, but I'm sure it depends on the powder measure your using.

2400, CFE Pistol, BE-86, Power Pistol, Sport Pistol

I've been using CFE Pistol quite a bit on everything from 9mm up to .45 acp. It meters consistently.

If your looking for cast targets loads I run clays in 38spl with some variety of wad cutter.
I dont bother loading 357 target loads with cast only advantage is you dont get the 38spl crud ring in your 357 chamber.
You can pick up about 150fps loading in a 357 case with a 158 swc and clays but honestly 850fps is plenty for a good cast target load.

i also run Trailboss , silly light load. Great for 50' ranges and very very comfortable recoil.
i run all my cast loads with traditional bullet lube.
either 2500+ or Lee ALox.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for target loads on 38/357 than any fast burning pistol powder will work. There’s load data for pretty much all of them in 38 special.
If you need some speed then you’re better suit with a second powder instead of trying to get it out of one powder.
231 is fine for a 38 load but not slow enough for a full house 357.
If you had 2400 or similar powder you would be set up perfect for magnum lead loads.
Then use whatever you can find cheap for 38 special right now.

I agree with @Knob Creek on the clays though. Super clean burning. Frugal as can be but very bulky so it fills the case well for such small loads.

As others have said, Power Pistol. Becoming one of my favorite powders for .32 and .38 revolvers.

Titegroup seems to run well in revolvers, in my limited use with that powder. If you have full wadcutters and .357 brass, use the load data for .38 and have fun. Titegroup isn't position sensitive and shoots full wadcutters just fine out of the longer magnum cases.

Bullseye is still good too.

Your trying to do what I was trying to do for a whole year. One powder for 38 and 357mag. Can you do it? Sure. Will you get good performance out of both calibers? No you will not. Take it from a guy that chased for the holy grail of powder to do both well for over a year......just buy two different powders.

Bullseye for 38
2400 or h110 for 357 mag

Closest you'll get imo to one powder for both is unique.....but the 357 magnum loadings are not going to have real 357 mag velocities like using magnum powders like h110 or 2400.

Last edited:
Your trying to do what I was trying to do for a whole year. One powder for 38 and 357mag. Can you do it? Sure. Will you get good performance out of both calibers? No you will not. Take it from a guy that chased for the holy grail of powder to do both well for over a year......just buy two different powders.

Bullseye for 38
2400 or h110 for 357 mag

Closest you'll get imo to one powder for both is unique.....but the 357 magnum loadings are not going to have real 357 mag velocities like using magnum powders like h110 or 2400.
Its not hard to find one powder for cast loads in 38/357 ....getting higher velocities with jacketed ammo is a completely different game.
I like 2400 when I do load any 357 mag loads.

Mike was nice enough to hook me up with some cases and 172gr LSWC bullets. Can't seem to find any load data for these specific bullets. I'm assuming I can just use any 170 gr bullet data but want to make sure. First time using lead cast bullets.

Gonna make a run to Bullseye in Woonsocket tomorrow afternoon to see what they have for powder. Only pistol powder I have is Winchester 231.

Mike was nice enough to hook me up with some cases and 172gr LSWC bullets. Can't seem to find any load data for these specific bullets. I'm assuming I can just use any 170 gr bullet data but want to make sure. First time using lead cast bullets.

Gonna make a run to Bullseye in Woonsocket tomorrow afternoon to see what they have for powder. Only pistol powder I have is Winchester 231.
I use the load data from the Lyman 49th using the Keith 358429 bullet. Work your way up.

I need to pick up projectiles for 38 and 357 for a 357 Ruger Revolver and a Rossi lever.

What do you guys recommend for good options that cycle well and run cleanly? I have Unique, H110, Power Pistol.
Just missed the Zero 158 gr JHPs but they do still have the 125 gr JHPs. All I use for 357 mag.

I need to pick up projectiles for 38 and 357 for a 357 Ruger Revolver and a Rossi lever.

What do you guys recommend for good options that cycle well and run cleanly? I have Unique, H110, Power Pistol.

If you're trying to load for both, and depending on what the twist of that Rossi is ( for years they made all their levers a 1 in 30 twist) go with a 125 gr.
Use unique for the wheel gun and H110 for the lever. Different barrel lengths. You'll get a good burn out of the rifle barrel.

I'm assuming sunshine state is florida, so this place will ship to you. They have 158's and 125's in stock, flats and rnfp's.
Coated cast is a good option too, just stay away from Black Bullets. 90% chance you'll get the wrong diameter from them.

Back
Top Bottom