• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder questions; BE-86, and a TB replacement?

Anyone ever use BE-86? I bought it during one of the 379 powder shortages that have occurred since 2012. How does it compare to Bullseye or Power Pistol? Is it more or less flashy, smoky, etc? I load for IDPA/USPSA, usually 4.3bullseye or 5.1 PP over a 115FMJ, or ~3.2bullseye over a 147 coated.

Anyone know of a 45 colt cowboy load (<800fps, 255 LFP) Trail Boss replacement, since it is apparently out of circulation? Since TB looks like cheerios, I figured I would try that, but it was ineffective.

Thank you

Last edited:
Anyone ever use BE-86? I bought it during one of the 379 powder shortages that have occurred since 2012. How does it compare to Bullseye or Power Pistol? Is it more or less flashy, smoky, etc? I load for IDPA/USPSA, usually 4.3bullseye or 5.1 PP over a 115FMJ, or ~3.2bullseye over a 147 coated.

Anyone know of a 45 colt cowboy load (<800fps, 255 LFP) Trail Boss replacement, since it is apparently out of circulation? Since TB looks like cheerios, I figured I would try that, but it was ineffective.

Thank you
Try some Vihtavouri Tinstar. Supposed to be “similar” to trail boss but far from interchangeable.

Thank you
TB is out of circulation?

What?
When did that happen?

TB is out of circulation?

What?
When did that happen?
It’s not being produced in 2021. Doesn’t mean it’s gone forever.

Attention Dealers,

Please see below the update from ADI on their rifle propellants and specifically the packs and popularity/frequency of manufacture for each:

"Rifle Propellant Outlook

AR2206(H), AR2208, AR2209, AR2213SC - These propellants are our core rifle range and account for the majority of the propellant we release to the market every year. These propellants will be available in both 1kg and 4kg bottles for the foreseeable future and we have these propellants represented through the different stages of manufacture almost constantly.

AR2217 – While this propellant is outside our core range, it is still a popular choice. However, due to production capacity constraints, the decision has been made to only offer this propellant in 4kg bottles through 2021. It isn’t made as regularly as our core rifle range above, but is typically made multiple times a year.

AR2225, AR2218 – Our two slowest burning propellants represent only a small amount of the propellant we release to the market every year. Due to this, combined with production capacity constraints, we’ll be offering these products in 4kg bottles only throughout 2021.

This is likely to be a welcome change for those that use these propellants as AR2225 was only previously offered in a 500gm bottle. As many already know, the smaller bottles disappear quickly when loading for common AR2225 calibres.

We make both of these propellants as often as we can, but have to balance market demand with onsite storage at the factory so we don’t affect storage of other necessary energetics.

Benchmark 1, AR2205 – Like AR2225 and AR2218, these propellants only account for a small proportion of our annual demand. Due to a combination of factors that include the aforementioned as well as manufacturing batch sizes, these propellants will not be manufactured in 2021. However, we do currently have stock of AR2205 for our distributors to access as needed.

AR2207, AR2219, Benchmark 2, Benchmark 8208 – These propellants will continue to be offered in 2021, however we have consolidated the bottle sizes in an effort to manufacture more propellant and release it to the Australian market. These will be offered in 1kg bottles only for the foreseeable future. Production of these propellants is less frequent when compared with the core range (AR2206(H), AR2208, AR2209 and AR2213SC) but we still endeavour to make them in line with market demand.

Trail Boss – This propellant is unlikely to be released in 2021 and there continues to be an active research and development project associated with its delivery."

My understanding is that BE-86 is an "updated" Power Pistol. Essentially, Power Pistol with a flash surpressant. That being said, don't assume same/same load data...follow your standard process for load development with a new powder.

I've used 8 pounds of BE-86 and so far I like it. It looks like Unique but meters much better. It's very versatile and can be used in a bunch of handgun calibers. In .45 Colt, I use 8 grains but the data says 8.3 grains pushes a 250 bullet at 861 fps. It doesn't list the barrel length.

Would something like VV TinStar (N32C) work for you?
It's not clear. It says it is made for cowboy loads, including 45 colt, but then there is no load data for for it for 45 colt on the website, and in searching other forums, I have read it cannot be used for 45 colt and 357 mag. So I sort of wrote it off.

Back
Top Bottom