Powder question

Did a quick google search with no luck. Is there a chart with a load comparison from unique powder to either hp38 or x700 powders? Thanks, Stash

Like EddieZoom said, it's tough to do a comparison without a specific caliber/bullet weight, so I'll pick .45 ACP with a 230gr jacketed bullet.

Here's the online published load data from Alliant (Unique) and Hodgdon (HP-38 and 700X)

Unique
Max Load =7.3 gr
Velocity = 966 fps​

HP-38
Max Load =5.3 gr
Velocity = 832 fps​

700X
Max Load =4.9 gr
Velocity = 842 fps
Unique is slower burning than the other two, so as one would expect, you can get higher velocity with heavier max charge weights than the faster powders.
HP-38 and 700X have similar (faster than Unique) burn rates, so they hit the max pressure with smaller charges, and results in lower velocities.
Incidentally, HP-38 and Winchester 231 are identical powders.

EDIT: The closest thing you'll find to a comparison chart is a burn rate chart/table. There are a bunch of versions you can find online. Here's one:

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/burn-rate-color.pdf

Last edited:
I have manuals. The hodgdon manual doesn't have a comparison listed. Am loading Speer shot cups for my 38 cal lcr. Speer says 5.5 of unique. Only powder listed. Only doing a dozen or so don't want to go out and buy a jug of powder. I have HP38 and 700x ( might be over limits for storage :) ) so I don't need any more. The above 2 powders have worked well for me for quite a lot of years for 9, 40,45 and 38/357. If it ain't broke don't fix it... Stash

the Speer manual recommends #9 shot, loaded to an overall length of 1.50 inches. Recommended charges are:
630 9.0 gr. (this load with CCI Magnum Primer, all others standard)
Unique 5.5
231 5.0
Bullseye 4.5
700X 4.5
HP38 4.5

I have manuals. The hodgdon manual doesn't have a comparison listed. Am loading Speer shot cups for my 38 cal lcr. Speer says 5.5 of unique. Only powder listed. Only doing a dozen or so don't want to go out and buy a jug of powder. I have HP38 and 700x ( might be over limits for storage :) ) so I don't need any more. The above 2 powders have worked well for me for quite a lot of years for 9, 40,45 and 38/357. If it ain't broke don't fix it... Stash
What are you trying to compare ? Performance? Or some chart that says if you use 5 grains of X and want to use Y use 8 grains?

How much does the shot cup weigh loaded with shot? Im going to gander speer only has one powder listed as the shot wad is very light and your not generating enough pressure to use other powders effectively?

Last edited:
Thanks JPM. Just what I needed to know. I will be using #4 shot. Just making a few for use in my ported 357. Thanks Again, Stash

Hi again. Bit the bullet and bought a box of the shot cups. Came with load data. Also Speer contacted me and told me what to use. 38 or 357, 4.5 of HP38 or 700X. Just have to break down a few #4 shottie shells. I found the loading manual ( Hodg) that came with my first Lee press. What is neat that it shows pellet diameters and pics. May give some buckshot a try. Thanks agsin for all the assistance... Stash

Thanks JPM. Just what I needed to know. I will be using #4 shot. Just making a few for use in my ported 357. Thanks Again, Stash
How many pellets of #4 can you get in there?
#9 would be a happy medium you get more shot on target.

If you have not shot much "shotcup" loads the pattern opens up pretty quickly. fun stuff
Used to use the 22lr shells to shoot wasps and dragon flys

Mac1911 Not sure on pellet count. Haven't had a chance to load any. Had mt treatment Friday at the oncology lab so I'm messed up for a few days. Also to the gent that said use #9. PORTED barrel , #9 will spit from the ports. Stash

Hi All,

This thread seemed as good a place as any to ask:

Going start reloading 223 for my AR (16in barrel, 1 in 8 twist).
Would H335 be a good choice for 'reasonably accurate' loads out to, say, 200 yards using a 60-80gr bullet ? Or would I need something like N140 ($40 more for an 8lb carton) ?

How about a 24" barrel with the same twist but stretching it out to 300 yards (assuming I can find a place to shoot that distance)?

If there's another thread where this sort of stuff is discussed just point and I'll amble on over there :)

Thanks,

Peter

N140 might be better for the longer barrel, looks like its a slower burn.

You might be single-feeding an 80 gr, thats a long one. Either 70 or 75 was the max length for a mag.
I'd say settle on a gr wt first, then go from there.

N140 might be better for the longer barrel, looks like its a slower burn.

You might be single-feeding an 80 gr, thats a long one. Either 70 or 75 was the max length for a mag.
I'd say settle on a gr wt first, then go from there.

Ok, I'll do more research on the 80's. I have 1100 or so 70 heads and a couple of hundred 60's and don't necessarily want to buy any more now. So, let's assume I use the 70's for now (and keep my eyes open for something smaller). There's plenty of load data out there for the 70's so would H335 be 'acceptable' in my shorter AR (which ony has a 1x Red Dot so I didn't particularly build it for accuracy) but then would use the N140 (or something else ?) to build up an accurate longer range load for 24" AR ?

Thanks !

I'd think any published load data for these bullets would get you started. One powder may perform better in your rifle than another, but that will come with much shooting and comparing one load against others. Even one powder may perform differently in the same rifle depending on powder grain charge variations. That's something you'll have to determine by doing. Find a load combination that works well and stick to it, as much as possible, otherwise you';ll be trying this load and that load forever.

Hi All,

This thread seemed as good a place as any to ask:

Going start reloading 223 for my AR (16in barrel, 1 in 8 twist).
Would H335 be a good choice for 'reasonably accurate' loads out to, say, 200 yards using a 60-80gr bullet ? Or would I need something like N140 ($40 more for an 8lb carton) ?

How about a 24" barrel with the same twist but stretching it out to 300 yards (assuming I can find a place to shoot that distance)?

If there's another thread where this sort of stuff is discussed just point and I'll amble on over there :)

Thanks,

Peter
H335 is fine if that what you have.
what bullet manufacture?
i have some 60 gn sierra flat base HP .
i run H335 with bulk 55s.
1/8 twist is fine. i run 80s in my 1/8 heavy varmint barrel 18" . Ideal , no not really but i cant shoot good enough consistently enough to matter.

H335 is fine if that what you have.
what bullet manufacture?
i have some 60 gn sierra flat base HP .
i run H335 with bulk 55s.
1/8 twist is fine. i run 80s in my 1/8 heavy varmint barrel 18" . Ideal , no not really but i cant shoot good enough consistently enough to matter.

Well, I have 1lb each of H335, Varget and Reloder 15 (all unopened). So, while it's still available (even at nasty prices) I want to pick up an 8lb carton and make sure I have a little extra...

The heads are Sierra MatchKing, Hornady and a 1000ct bulk pack of 70gr RDF 22 HPBT factory seconds (I've had these for a long time and don't remember exactly where I got them).

It sounds like I can go with H335, save a few $ now and then see what I get for accuracy with the long barrel. I can change direction then if need be. Both my Richard Lee and Speer books have loads for H335 with 70gr bullets.

Thanks all !

Peter

Well, I have 1lb each of H335, Varget and Reloder 15 (all unopened). So, while it's still available (even at nasty prices) I want to pick up an 8lb carton and make sure I have a little extra...

The heads are Sierra MatchKing, Hornady and a 1000ct bulk pack of 70gr RDF 22 HPBT factory seconds (I've had these for a long time and don't remember exactly where I got them).

It sounds like I can go with H335, save a few $ now and then see what I get for accuracy with the long barrel. I can change direction then if need be. Both my Richard Lee and Speer books have loads for H335 with 70gr bullets.

Thanks all !

Peter
I run varget in my "match" loads.
Only down side I see to H335 is velocity.
What type of accuracy are you expecting?
223 for me gets the best accuracy in that area just below max loads. That has worked from 55s-80s
with varget/H4895/RL15/BLC2/H335/H332/8208

I tend to lean on what ever is on sale and what works for a large span of my needs.
H4895 fills that bill nice.

H335 is running low and with my 55 bulk bullet load I run 25 grains out of 16-20" barrel. 1 /8 twist.

I run varget in my "match" loads.
Only down side I see to H335 is velocity.
What type of accuracy are you expecting?
223 for me gets the best accuracy in that area just below max loads. That has worked from 55s-80s
with varget/H4895/RL15/BLC2/H335/H332/8208

I tend to lean on what ever is on sale and what works for a large span of my needs.
H4895 fills that bill nice.

H335 is running low and with my 55 bulk bullet load I run 25 grains out of 16-20" barrel. 1 /8 twist.

Ok, for now I'll save the Varget for when I get to making a load for 24" AR. I was getting 1" groups (max) at 100yds with factory ammo (using a bipod) - so hoping for better accuracy than that :)

For my 16" barrel hitting the steel 10 out 10 at 100yds with 1x Red Dot.

Anyway, XXXXXXXXX doesn't have a really wide variety in stock so I just ordered 8lb of H335. Should do fine until I get better at this :)

Thanks !

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom