Powder Coating Bullets. first runs,

Hello all just a fast update on this Powder coating test.

124gr .356 , 105gr .358 , 230gr .452 all 3 are cast from range lead

First load photo 1 (1).JPG second run photo 3 (2).JPG 124gr before sizing diephoto 1.JPG I may run it a third time for a more FMJ look [mg]
after a pass on the sizing die photo 2.JPG test round " no primers or powder"photo 4.jpg photo 3.JPG after some "hammer time" it look ok to me [smile]photo 5.jpg Round 2 > using a bit more powder [cheers]photo 2 (1).JPG

I was using HF Red and the shake and bake with dry powder method.
Bad new is i have no time to test fire this bad boys until the second weekend of March[sad]
Thanks,
H.

Last edited:
interesting. let us know how the testing goes. i'd be concerned about the powder coat increasing the overall size of the projectile (probably not a huge issue), and what the paint would do to the bore (could be a problem, but hey, shoot it out!).

interesting. let us know how the testing goes. i'd be concerned about the powder coat increasing the overall size of the projectile (probably not a huge issue), and what the paint would do to the bore (could be a problem, but hey, shoot it out!).
will do ..
In case "something bad" happens, can I have your other guns? [smile]
get in line for that [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

photo 3 (3).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Second test run look better, looks like adding a bit more powder did the trick. [wink]photo 4 (2).jpgphoto 1 (2).jpg

Looks like a pretty rough surface that would be detrimental to accuracy. I think you want a much smoother surface and better consistency. also worried about fouling in the barrel possibly...

I don't cast for rifle now ,but when I do >>> [smile]
DSC01161.jpg

Looks like a pretty rough surface that would be detrimental to accuracy. I think you want a much smoother surface and better consistency. also worried about fouling in the barrel possibly...
Totally agree about the smoother surface I will do some more runs on the oven with this bullets.
about fouling the barrel i not concerned about that. That are loads of info on this type of PC and it seen to work.
[smile]
A40x2.JPG
colorbullets02.jpg

Last edited:
So this is actually powder coating like you'd use on a refrigerator or bike frame? It's not Hi Tek, which is designed for bullets?

Probably because he wants the cheapness of shooting lead without the lead smegma getting all over his guns? The main reason I rarely shoot lead is because of all the pollution it makes in the gun and elsewhere.

-Mike

Probably because he wants the cheapness of shooting lead without the lead smegma getting all over his guns? The main reason I rarely shoot lead is because of all the pollution it makes in the gun and elsewhere.

-Mike

Gotcha. I've never heard of powder coating bullets and couldn't tell if it was purely aesthetic or if it had a useful purpose.

Back
Top Bottom