• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder coat vs. Hi-Tek

So a quick search yields mostly a how-to or which one looks better instead of what I'm looking for, so here it is-

Anyone notice a velocity threshold on either as far as coating failing?

I'm looking at vendors and the popularity of synthetic coatings seems to have taken off. At least for handgun stuff. Hell, if Federal is mass producing poly coated ammo then it must work.

I'm looking at a .40/10mm 180 gr T.C. design offered by a few different places, offered in both Hi-Tek and Powder/ Poly coat.
Ideal velocity is going to be just shy of 1000fps

Anyone have either coating fail at or above 1000 fps? (In handgun)

So a quick search yields mostly a how-to or which one looks better instead of what I'm looking for, so here it is-

Anyone notice a velocity threshold on either as far as coating failing?

I'm looking at vendors and the popularity of synthetic coatings seems to have taken off. At least for handgun stuff. Hell, if Federal is mass producing poly coated ammo then it must work.

I'm looking at a .40/10mm 180 gr T.C. design offered by a few different places, offered in both Hi-Tek and Powder/ Poly coat.
Ideal velocity is going to be just shy of 1000fps

Anyone have either coating fail at or above 1000 fps? (In handgun)
No failing with either. I really like Hi-Tek and with all the commercial casters switching to it I’m guessing it’s the best way to do. It was designed specifically for bullet use unlike powder coat.
I have shot it with full bore 357 mag loads out of 18” barrels with no leading at all.
Powder coat melts when you heat it up. Hi-Tek doesn’t.
I don’t like the idea of leaving deposits of some weird chemical in my barrel. I know PC can be made of a bunch of different types of paint. No thanks.

Ditto. I push all hitek bullets at jacketed velocities with no signs of leading. I need to look up velocity (I’m guessing ~1700 fps), but no issues with my .357mag Henry with a 20” barrel.

Ditto. I push all hitek bullets at jacketed velocities with no signs of leading. I need to look up velocity (I’m guessing ~1700 fps), but no issues with my .357mag Henry with a 20” barrel.
I’ve pushed them faster but accuracy drops off and I don’t want to chase around alloy and gas checks and all of that.

i have not tried any form of coating other than Lee Liquid Alox. Although watching vids and posts I feel like Hitek is a "thinner" application and seems to have more control over the coating?
Im not sure but it appears hitek will chemically bound to each coat vs powder coat will only sit as a another layer. ? Maybe next winters project or a 3D printer , build some reproduction ammo crates.

I get my powder coated bullets from a guy I regularly shoot with, he has a couple of bullet making machines in his garage, and then he has a powder coating set up that he came up with. Nice bullets, have pushed them past 1000 fps, no problem. You can also take a hammer to them and the powder coat doesn't flake off like some. I have tried others but I always go back to his, or I use Extreme bullets. He does sell some thru at least 1 local shop that I know of.

I have been a die hard powder coat advocate for quite a while. I was recently given some hi-tek coated bullets and its time to load them and see what the fuss is about. Visually there is much less build up compared to powder coating.

When using Hi-Tek does it matter if the bullets are a little frosted. I took the plunge and casted my first batch yesterday and it was fun. I was more focused on getting a good shape. Figured I could throw them back into the pot and start over again. Not like I can send them down the range. But so far casting has been great and I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

I have been a die hard powder coat advocate for quite a while. I was recently given some hi-tek coated bullets and its time to load them and see what the fuss is about. Visually there is much less build up compared to powder coating.
If you want some hi-tek coating to play with let me know.
When using Hi-Tek does it matter if the bullets are a little frosted. I took the plunge and casted my first batch yesterday and it was fun. I was more focused on getting a good shape. Figured I could throw them back into the pot and start over again. Not like I can send them down the range. But so far casting has been great and I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
Nice! Pics?

Thanks but I ordered and received some 7oz containers the other day and they are one company that is shipping pretty quick. Just have to get something to bake them in. This was cast with a lee double 230 grain double mold. Now for photos.

Attachments

• 8AF71EC6-7941-4B0C-9C48-A44E71142C91.jpeg
    8AF71EC6-7941-4B0C-9C48-A44E71142C91.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 9
  • C453CAD1-CA5B-4167-93BC-40A8356DC62C.jpeg
    C453CAD1-CA5B-4167-93BC-40A8356DC62C.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 10
Frosted isn't a problem at all

Im surprised lee and other bullet mold makers have not come up with molds for coated bullets.
There is really no need for lube grooves if your coating. ?

You can 3d print bullets for practice (primer only)
3d printing doesn't work for aluminum - you can 3d print a pattern for aluminum casting.

I'm looking at cutting a d- bit cutter to cut aluminum molds.
The bullets produced would necessarily need to be smooth sided.

cool , I have been sticking cases into 3/8" thick paraffin makes a good wad cutter for basement plinking.
Nice! Did you ever notice the “half inch” sticks are actually almost spot on 45 caliber?
the slide perfectly into a 45 Colt case. Trim them flush and you have a great wadcutter.

Im surprised lee and other bullet mold makers have not come up with molds for coated bullets.
There is really no need for lube grooves if your coating. ?

Picked up 2 from this place.
Both minus the lube grooves.
You can e-mail the guy with specs or requests and he'll make anything you want.

Powder coating and hi-tek is more of a bonding process than pressing lube in, so theres no need for grooves

Powder coating and hi-tek is more of a bonding process than pressing lube in, so theres no need for grooves

Right no need for grooves. I have been reading about coated bullets and those that have problems.
Below velocity expectations, inconsistency in velocity. Ect ect. i also dont see alot of "coated" bullet shooters slugging thier barrels. They just buy bullets and run them.
i just did a chamber cast(s) on one my SW 1911 and its right at .452" so my cast bullets are the same size...my better 1911 is a tight .4505" if i can believe my $ 30 calipers. The worst I,have seen is a .455" from a norinco my friend has that copper fouls something awful.
cast bullets are said to be at thier best at . 001" over groove. So now I really need to make sure I push my cast bullets fast enough to expand and seal. ideally sizing to throat or lead is best. Often in semi auto pistols lead/throats are very short.

any how since coated bullets maybe undersized and cast with a hard alloy if bought from a commercial caster you may not be getting a good seal. So you can end up with lower expectations of velocity , inconsistency and accuracy.
Thing is I think 90% of pistol shooters these days are shooting for hits on torso size targets vs trying to hit the X ring so "accuracy" is really not a issue.

how well can you measure pistol accuracy with out a ransom rest ? I can tell you my "accuracy" from TL -230-LRN lee bullet that I know is undersized vs the Lyman 185gn wad cutter is a good 3" group difference. Better bullet?

im going to need a good hardness tester. I have a few batches of wheel weights to smelt up. i will see what I have for clip on vs stick on and try to come up with a soft alloy for my slow loads

Last edited:

Another source for molds without lube grooves.

Back
Top Bottom