Powder Check for Hornady LNL AP?

I used the hornady check die and Ended up pulling it. I look in every case and having to refocus on the top of the die ended up messing with my process. This was on straight walled pistol ammo. I intend on using it again once I start on 223.

Anything inline fabrication should be gtg. They make nice stuff.

I love the Inline Fab stuff, but for $110 bucks I'll just drill a hole.

AB0D556A-44D2-4F79-A725-BF867AB5BC59-701-00000094D91E1C43.jpg

I have the Hornady Powder check ... in the drawer. Was the most unnecessary accessory I bought. I weigh every reload and can see into every case in the station where it was formally installed.

On the other hand I recently dropped more than the cost of that on the Ultramount and the #3 combo ( ergo lever, case/bullet holders, lights) and they were the best accessories I've bought.

How does that work? And how well?
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the mechanism... Did I read that it actually locks and prevents the press from indexing?

I'll take a video and post it up, but it does what it is supposed to well enough, the debate would be if it is worth a station. it hards stops at the top of the stroke and won't let you finish the stroke.

I love the Inline Fab stuff, but for $110 bucks I'll just drill a hole.

AB0D556A-44D2-4F79-A725-BF867AB5BC59-701-00000094D91E1C43.jpg

What powder through expander setup are you using there? I'm not currently using one, so potentially I'd have to drill more than one hole (a case feeder is coming in the not so distant, but not so soon future). The RCBS lock out die seems to be a popular alternative as well.

Edhead,

Do you have any pictures of the lock out die installed you can share? Also, any general feedback and/or positive/negative comments? I've heard it's good with straight walled cases, but not bottle necked cases. What are your experiences?

What powder through expander setup are you using there? I'm not currently using one, so potentially I'd have to drill more than one hole (a case feeder is coming in the not so distant, but not so soon future). The RCBS lock out die seems to be a popular alternative as well.?

It's the standard Hornady measure that comes with the LnL with a Powderfunnels universal expander installed when I'm doing pistol stuff. (http://www.powderfunnels.com) I also have the Hornady case feeder (no holes required for that.) All that is mounted on an Inline Fab strong mount, along with their roller handle, LED kit, dual bin bracket, and Dillon low powder sensor adapter. I also have a bunch of their die brackets. (Easy enough to make the die brackets yourself, but they're cheap enough to not bother.)

I like the Dillon powder check because it gives me an audio warning signal in addition to what I see in the case with my eyes as I set the bullet. The lockout die is interesting but I mostly load rifle and AFAIK the lockout only works with straight-walled cartridges. The Dillon works with anything.

It's the standard Hornady measure that comes with the LnL with a Powderfunnels universal expander installed when I'm doing pistol stuff. (http://www.powderfunnels.com) I also have the Hornady case feeder (no holes required for that.) All that is mounted on an Inline Fab strong mount, along with their roller handle, LED kit, dual bin bracket, and Dillon low powder sensor adapter. I also have a bunch of their die brackets. (Easy enough to make the die brackets yourself, but they're cheap enough to not bother.)

I like the Dillon powder check because it gives me an audio warning signal in addition to what I see in the case with my eyes as I set the bullet. The lockout die is interesting but I mostly load rifle and AFAIK the lockout only works with straight-walled cartridges. The Dillon works with anything.

I have found that many people love the powderfunnels.com expanders. I tried the Hornady one, but found that it makes the press seem to stick.

For small hard to see powder charges I use the RCBS lock out die, and I look into the cases.

This is what I like as well. The powder cop die from Hornady blows. The referenced setup in the OP looks like it would be a PITA.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I'm using the Hornady Powder Cop die currently but seriously eyeing the RCBS Lock Out Die.

Those of you using the lock out die (not to hijack): I read in a few reviews that it has a tendancy to lock up on even the most minor variation in powder and that it winds up bring more of a PITA than a helpful tool. Anyone confirm this? As I also agree the IF setup in the OP looks like overkill.

I'm using the Hornady Powder Cop die currently but seriously eyeing the RCBS Lock Out Die.

Those of you using the lock out die (not to hijack): I read in a few reviews that it has a tendancy to lock up on even the most minor variation in powder and that it winds up bring more of a PITA than a helpful tool. Anyone confirm this? As I also agree the IF setup in the OP looks like overkill.

Personally I have never had this happen. I did have a problem with powder sticking to the white plastic insert, after cleaning the hell out of it, but I sprayed it with graphite and its been fine ever since.

I have only used it with pistol flake powders. Never with extruded or ball.

I have not experienced any problems with erratic lock ups and I get a lot of confidence that my reloads are good.

Good hijack! I'm loading almost entirely straight walled pistol right now (and only pistol progress). Maybe I'll pickup the RCBS, then move onto a dillon setup when I start in my progressive press.

Back
Top Bottom