• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder Availability Report

oh don't worry, the nra will have everyone panic buying LONG before then. Probably in June.
Jesus, you guys aren't panic buying yet? :D

I'm with Andrew on this. I want a couple of years worth of ammo/components. I'll be damned if I get stuck spending every weekend trying to scrounge up ammo again.

just remember to visit the fire dept and get your powder & primer storage permit so you can store up to 48 pounds of powder and more than 1000 primers.

Interesting. I can get it for $124 before shipping and hazmat fees.
I think I know where, but dare not mention it on the forum.

I've seen the price list from the distributor used by a high volume gun shop. The powder prices the shop pays are not any less than unconnected people pay from the suppliers that ship to unblockaded states - although the shops often get trucked deliveries without hazmat. I suspect this lack of price spread is why you see retail for powder to be so much higher than the "order it online" price.

Some have never heard of such a permit.

Such as my town/city. I gave up because I didn't want to force the issue and let everyone know what I have. The fire inspector who's the brother of one of my friends told me I'm fine as long as it's stored inside a wooden box/container that is at least 1" thick on all sides. But also wanted to conduct an "inspection".... He was quoting federal fire regs and not MA regs from what others here told me.

Post #28...
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...ow-need-an-inspection-at-the-house?p=4203627&

Last edited:
Such as my town/city. I gave up because I didn't want to force the issue and let everyone know what I have. The fire inspector who's the brother of one of my friends told me I'm fine as long as it's stored inside a wooden box/container that is at least 1" thick on all sides. But also wanted to conduct an "inspection".... He was quoting federal fire regs and not MA regs from what others here told me.

Post #28...
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...ow-need-an-inspection-at-the-house?p=4203627&

He's probably referring to the NFPA 495 Explosive Material Safety standard, Sec. 14.3.7 which addresses quantities and storage methods. Strictly speaking, it's not a federal fire regulation - it's a national standard that may or may not be incorporated into regulation, law or bylaw by your particular state, county or town. I know the Mass 527 CMR Fire Prevention regs incorporate most of the 2012 version NFPA Fire Prevention code (which lists the storage limits we're familiar with in MA), but I haven't seen (yet) a CMR or MGL that calls out NFPA 495, which does have direction on how to store various amounts of smokeless powder. I haven't spent a lot of time looking, either. It's the sort of legal tail chasing exercise that leaves you with 11 browser windows open, no clear memory of what started you looking into this mess, and a headache.

In any case, 1" of wood is a good way to store the stuff. I've been using a commercial flammable cabinet, but thinking about it right now I'm not actually sure if the safety vents are enough to cope with smokeless powder burning vs. the burning VOCs it was designed for.

I'm pretty sure my current fire chief has no idea these permits exist. The previous chief had issued lifetime permits for maximums to the 4 people who ever asked, and I'm not going to start kicking that sleeping dog.

just remember to visit the fire dept and get your powder & primer storage permit so you can store up to 48 pounds of powder and more than 1000 primers.

Not sure how all of the high volume shooters (USPSA/IDPA) deal with this. Some fellow NESers burn through 30-50k rounds a year so you'd need to stock A LOT of powder/primers in general - not even considering stocking up for years in advance [laugh]. But that's none of my business...

I'd guess I probably shoot around 7k rounds of 9mm a year so it's easier for me than for someone shooting 5-10 times that [laugh]

FYI for anyone looking for Win231. Lot's of 1LB's available at Hunters in Weymouth yesterday....price was steep...33.95/LB I believe. I was not in need of any so I passed.

Not sure how all of the high volume shooters (USPSA/IDPA) deal with this. Some fellow NESers burn through 30-50k rounds a year so you'd need to stock A LOT of powder/primers in general - not even considering stocking up for years in advance [laugh]. But that's none of my business...

I'd guess I probably shoot around 7k rounds of 9mm a year so it's easier for me than for someone shooting 5-10 times that [laugh]

I'm,not sure if many do this but I only know one high volume shooter. Shoots IDPA IPSC cowboy and a few other things.
His loads are well established so he orders enough powder and primers to last a long time.
He loads his ammo storage limit and is just about maxed out on primers and powder storage after that.

Back
Top Bottom