• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder Availability Report

...and lots of other stuff ;-)

Just got back from a trip to Warwick. Tons of W231 & HP38. 231 only available in 1LB, HP38 in 1LB & 4LB.

If Hodgdon makes it, they probably have it right now.

Wow 231 and HP-38!? Damn.

Tons of powder at Shooters Outpost today, picked up a few pounds of HS6 and 4895 rifle powder. Didn't see any 231 or Varget, but I really wasn't looking for it either.

They had plenty of .22 ammo as well at reasonable prices. I bought a 300 round pack of minimags for $25. 500 round limit. A brick of CCI SV would cost $40.

Chris

Just got back from state line (or whatever they call themselves now). They had ~ 8 lbs of varget on the shelf, for ~ $32/lb. There was some other rifle powders, but they had very little handgun powder.

Anyone been by Riley's lately,I'm going up Monday and hope to find 231,HP 38 or some other type of multi purpose powder. If SO is still asking for a ltc/fid for powder and the like I'll make a point to not stop there.

Anyone been by Riley's lately,I'm going up Monday and hope to find 231,HP 38 or some other type of multi purpose powder. If SO is still asking for a ltc/fid for powder and the like I'll make a point to not stop there.

Let us know what you find!

I'm also on a hunt for w231 / HP38.

Friend of mine was there today and said there wasn't any 231/hp38 or bullseye. But had plenty of Titegroup along with H110, 700x, HS-6.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is HP-38 any good?
I can't find any Win 231, but I did find a pound of HP-38. Haven't loaded any of it yet.

It's horrible, you should probably just mail it to me and I'll properly dispose of it. [smile]

HP-38 for all practical purposes is exactly the same as W231.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is HP-38 any good?
I can't find any Win 231, but I did find a pound of HP-38. Haven't loaded any of it yet.

Everyone says its really good powder mainly because it meters well and you don't need much. I have a pound of 231 (same as hp-38) which I just loaded for the first time last week making some powder puff 44 mag loads. I use Titegroup for 9mm which works well and you don't need much either. But all my other pistol calibers use H110/296, 2400, and Power Pistol.

Where did you find the hp-38? And how much? I know D&L in Warwick has a bunch according to their website but I don't get down that way often.

Last edited:
Has anyone been to Heritage Gun and Coin lately ? Used to be my go to shop for powder in my ATA trap shooting days? Always a good amount of powders and shot. Back then it was well worth the drive on price also.

For those in the plymouth area Outback Arms has a decent selection of powder to many to even begin to remember, little high on price but in stock? I do believe I seen 8lb jug of Clays but could have been ClayDot ? Also Plimoth Bay Outfitters had more powder than I ever remember seeing on the shelf ?

Has anyone been to Heritage Gun and Coin lately ? Used to be my go to shop for powder in my ATA trap shooting days? Always a good amount of powders and shot. Back then it was well worth the drive on price also.

I stop in at Heritage and D&L whenever I am passing through Warwick. In the past year or more, D&L has always had a larger selection of powders on the shelf. Not always what I am shopping for, but more. Before powders started becoming scarce, Heritage stocked 4 and 8 lb jugs of all the popular shotgun powders at reasonable prices.

I wish I knew more about how the distribution system works. It seems like one shop will get a huge shipment of powder while nearby shops are left with nothing.

I stop in at Heritage and D&L whenever I am passing through Warwick. In the past year or more, D&L has always had a larger selection of powders on the shelf. Not always what I am shopping for, but more. Before powders started becoming scarce, Heritage stocked 4 and 8 lb jugs of all the popular shotgun powders at reasonable prices.

I wish I knew more about how the distribution system works. It seems like one shop will get a huge shipment of powder while nearby shops are left with nothing.

Some shops may place larger orders or actually invest in some inventory. If powder or reloading supplies are not fast movers I'm sure some shops wait until they are almost out of everything.
What really surprised me is the lack of gun shops to do group buys...I know right now selection is at a minimum still....BUT in my 10 years or reloading not a single MA gun shop has said. You know if you can get X amount of people to buy X amount of powder/bullets it will cost Z.

I have mentioned this before. I approached every dealer in my area (SE MA) which for the most part stock very little reloading stuff and their sources where also slim pickings even when there where no shortages or looming scares of the end.....So I went around asking.
Well since you can't find what I need I have found what I need. They will ship to a FFL. I will pay for the order have it shipped to FFL....Now what kind of fee would you (FFL) charge to accept a box of powder and primers?( the amount was at the limits of mass regulations per permit) I only got one...."yeah I can do that" how much " for the profit I loose not selling it" . Ok but you don't have it and said you can't get it...so you made zero money vs charging me a fee to accept a box? As I turned to walk out I got....." hey hold on how about ....... The door had shut so I never heard what he said....o well I found my shit eventually.

Last edited:
Riley's had a fair amount of rifle powder but not much in the pistol powder. Tightgroup,Trail Boss and I MR 4227 and a 1lb limit on each. There was 2 larger containers of Varget but I couldn't tell if they were 4 or 8 lb. Went to Bass Pro after that and got lucky and picked up 2 lbs of Bulleye.
Ammo dept. Riley's had CCI mini mags $16 a hundred BP and Walmart no 22 ammo at all. My buddy picked up 2 boxes of 225 gr jacketed 45 Colt AE ammo $40 a box of 50. Never saw standard 45 Colt ammo with jacketed bullets before only lead bullets. Fancy self defense ammo yes but not standard blasting ammo.

Riley's had a fair amount of rifle powder but not much in the pistol powder. Tightgroup,Trail Boss and I MR 4227 and a 1lb limit on each. There was 2 larger containers of Varget but I couldn't tell if they were 4 or 8 lb. Went to Bass Pro after that and got lucky and picked up 2 lbs of Bulleye.
Ammo dept. Riley's had CCI mini mags $16 a hundred BP and Walmart no 22 ammo at all. My buddy picked up 2 boxes of 225 gr jacketed 45 Colt AE ammo $40 a box of 50. Never saw standard 45 Colt ammo with jacketed bullets before only lead bullets. Fancy self defense ammo yes but not standard blasting ammo.

How much was the Bullseye at BP? Last time I saw it there, it was $25 per pound if I recall.

Everyone says its really good powder mainly because it meters well and you don't need much. I have a pound of 231 (same as hp-38) which I just loaded for the first time last week making some powder puff 44 mag loads. I use Titegroup for 9mm which works well and you don't need much either. But all my other pistol calibers use H110/296, 2400, and Power Pistol.

Where did you find the hp-38? And how much? I know D&L in Warwick has a bunch according to their website but I don't get down that way often.

Gun and Sport North, in Salem NH. It's a new owner, he seems nice. He had some HP-38 a few weeks ago. I think can't remember what I paid, I'll have to look at the bottle. He seems to be dabbling in reload supplies. I told him to get whatever he could, there are a lot of people looking for anything.

Read on the CMP forum that 8lb jugs of Win 231 are in stock at Cabelas.com. Shipping is only $5 when you use the coupon code '15FLAT' and the hazmat fee is $20 so that works out to be $195 or just over $24 per pound. I know they don't ship to MA but figured I'd pass the info along for people in NH or people in MA that have stuff shipped to friends in NH.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat333152280

Other powders are available but this seemed like the best deal/price when you buy the 8lb jug.

Also Patriot Arms in Ipswich, MA currently has Bullseye, Unique, Titegroup, Power Pistol, and Green Dot in stock. I haven't called to confirm the price but last time I saw those powders at their shop they were around $23 or so.

Kittery Trading Post has: Winchester WST and WSF in 1lb. Also has IMR 4064, IMR 7828, IMR 4831, Hodgdon Hornady Superformance rifle powder, Hodgdon Hybrid 100, Hodgdon Varget (a few 8lb kegs), Hodgdon Retumbeo, Hodgdon Pyrodex RS, Hodgdon Pyrodex Select, Hodgdon Triple Seven, Alliant Reloader 17 and Reloader 22, all 1lb kegs except the Varget...1lb and 8lb both available. I took a pic but haven't figured out how to post them lol. So the deal is... if you don't ask any questions at checkout, they don't. no ID, no nothing. Walk to where the powder is and find a guy wearing a green shirt... tell them what you want and they do a "powder transfer" from the warehouse... takes from 3-10 minutes... it is waiting for you on a shelf near the register. all of this is normal and happens every day. :)

Back
Top Bottom