Powder and Ball

I've got a Middlesex Village Trading Co, doglock fowling musket (reproduction)

It's a .69 caliber I've had it for some time but finally want to break it out and start making some noise. I've shot black powder in the past, both blanks for reenacting and live fire, however everything I needed was supplied by the unit. All i can tell ya is the powder came in metal tins. lol

Whats the best kind of powder (I vaugley remember someone saying not to use pryrodex...)

lookin for a little guidance as to the best powder (FFg) and ball size to use, and most importantly where to get it? BassPro shops didnt have it unless I missed it, but I've heard that Kittery Trading Post has a good black powder selection, any help would be appreciated.

Find a manual and read it. No need to blow up the gun or worse. There are blackpowder fora that will have the info you want. I like pyrodex for my BP guns.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

thanks fellahs. I already know my grain load, going to start at a modest .60grains and go from tehre but i'll continue to read and talk with my friends who are black powder vets.

Last edited:
I don't have any first hand experience, but my understanding is that a flintlock will not light pyrodex or other substitutes effectively.

Also, I've heard of people using either FFg or FFFg for a main charge and FFFg or FFFFg for the priming pan, but never FFg in the priming pan.

Back
Top Bottom