Potentially fatal shooting @ BGRA

Person shot in the head around 3:30pm this afternoon at the Boston Gun and Rifle club in Boston. Homicide unit called in due to severity of victim's injuries.šŸ˜¢ No further details.

It's on Faulkner Street. That's where my parents lived when I was born. Literally across the street, although the 3 deckers are long gone.

As a gun club, how the hell do you prevent this from happening? There's really no way. And you know the anti-gun crowd will be swooning over this.

Sad to hear it. How common are these range suicides? Didn't Manchester Firing Line have one around a year ago?

happens in the victim's house, or in the victim's car, you never hear a peep. PDs keep it quiet. Even now, last one that happened at AFS didn't get any publicity at all... Unless the media picks it up, or the town makes it an issue, I don't think you hear about them any more except thru the grapevine.

Sad to hear it. How common are these range suicides? Didn't Manchester Firing Line have one around a year ago?
Bobs in Salisbury had a few suicides over the years. The last one was a double.....guy and a girl rented guns to share and both offed themselves in the range. They changed their policy after that one. Can't use the range unless you have an LTC in mass. From the globe article 2016

Two people died after intentionally shooting themselves in front of stunned patrons at a gun range in Salisbury this week, the Essex district attorneyā€™s office said Friday.

A 23-year-old Malden man and a 22-year-old woman from East Hampstead, N.H., neither of whom were identified, took their own lives at Original Bobā€™s Tactical Shooting Range on Wednesday evening, according to the district attorneyā€™s office.

The two arrived at the indoor range together, rented firearms, and ā€œwere using the range as intendedā€ for an unspecified amount of time, according to Carrie Kimball Monahan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Jonathan W. Blodgett.

ā€œAt a certain point they nearly simultaneously turned the weapons on themselves,ā€ she said.

As a gun club, how the hell do you prevent this from happening? There's really no way. And you know the anti-gun crowd will be swooning over this.
Is this a Club or a pay to shoot range?

Is this a Club or a pay to shoot range?
Website says open to public.....with a reservation.

On a side note.....if you have an LTC and bring your own guns it's $50 an hour.....and you have to buy their non lead ammo. Damn that's pricey.

I heard something about them being a completely lead free range, I don't think you can even bring your own ammunition anymore.

happens in the victim's house, or in the victim's car, you never hear a peep. PDs keep it quiet. Even now, last one that happened at AFS didn't get any publicity at all... Unless the media picks it up, or the town makes it an issue, I don't think you hear about them any more except thru the grapevine.
You don't hear about all the people that jump off the Golden Gate Bridge either. Encourages more jumpers.

I heard something about them being a completely lead free range, I don't think you can even bring your own ammunition anymore.
They went strictly frangible in February. So long as you either buy their ammo or bring frangible you can shoot there.

I have plinked there a few times in the past year and helped clean the lanes of lead to help out one of the range instructors who allowed me to shoot for free a couple times and bring my own ammo. I hope everything is going to be okay for the club and nobody else was hurt, sounds like a really sinister incident.

It's on Faulkner Street. That's where my parents lived when I was born. Literally across the street, although the 3 deckers are long gone.

you were closer than me, i was a mile northeast of there. always thought it was on Dot ave, and the address shows dot ave @ faulkner. either way, i have not, and will ever be shooting at a club in fields corner [mg]

MFL has had a couple i remember, bobs tactical had like one or more a year, avg figure about 1/yr, depending on rules. Of course we're assuming this is a suicide and not an nd or something else.

You don't hear about all the people that jump off the Golden Gate Bridge either. Encourages more jumpers.

Same story (or no story) at Niagara Falls. There are a good number of jumpers, we just don't hear about them.

Same story (or no story) at Niagara Falls. There are a good number of jumpers, we just don't hear about them.

Seems like a painful sucky way to go. Maybe better to chuck yourselves down the rocks on the American side. Swan dive into them or something.

Seems like a painful sucky way to go. Maybe better to chuck yourselves down the rocks on the American side. Swan dive into them or something.
I hate thinking about this type of stuff but as someone who wants to some day become a detective you have to know how to analyze the gritty details of different scenarios. Most of the time if you jump into water from a considerable height the only way you'll live is by cleanly diving head first and curling up or pencil-diving in holding your nostrils and clenching your buttocks muscles...if doing the latter you need to clinch or else water will fly straight up your pooper and crush your intestines. It is a painful way to go, indeed.

Hi, I'd like to rent a .45.

Any ammo with that?

Sure, I'll take one.

One box?

No, one cartridge should be enough. Thanks.

Too soon? :oops:

Frank
The public range near me won't rent to a single person unless they already own guns as a method to try to prevent this. Although to be fair with the double one at Bob's, it's obviously not a fool-proof policy.

The public range near me won't rent to a single person unless they already own guns as a method to try to prevent this. Although to be fair with the double one at Bob's, it's obviously not a fool-proof policy.

This is the standard, insurance companies require public ranges to not let a non-gun owner shoot alone if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure range rental is only for LTC holders or people taking fully guided classes/range lessons. Sure, this could still happen, but I'm assuming it would be a bit more difficult. They aren't letting unattended, unlicensed people rent. Or at least I hope they weren't.

Back when I was a member, it seemed like their bread and butter was licensing classes or newbie range lessons. 9 times out of 10, I'd be the only person there not taking a class. I think that would explain all the shooting stall and ceiling holes, which in retrospect, I should have been more scared of. Every stall has like a dozen holes in it.

I'm pretty sure range rental is only for LTC holders or people taking fully guided classes/range lessons. Sure, this could still happen, but I'm assuming it would be a bit more difficult. They aren't letting unattended, unlicensed people rent. Or at least I hope they weren't.

Back when I was a member, it seemed like their bread and butter was licensing classes or newbie range lessons. 9 times out of 10, I'd be the only person there not taking a class. I think that would explain all the shooting stall and ceiling holes, which in retrospect, I should have been more scared of. Every stall has like a dozen holes in it.
And thatā€™s exactly the kind of shooter I was when I went there. I had only shot 5 times before and 3 out of those 5 were during ā€œlearn-to-shootā€ 101 classes. I bought the same carry setup as one of the instructors after shooting with him a few times and put 400 rounds through a BG380...not the most fun time for my wrist! Great times though and again, I really hope everything works out for the folks at the range and people can continue to learn and shoot there in a controlled and safe manner.

Back
Top Bottom