Posting stories about murder - what's the upside?

Mike S

NES Member
Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here for a while, haven't even been here for a while, so I'm looking at NES with fresh eyes.

Something that jumped out at me immediately is the amount of linked stories about murder where the tool for the job was a gun. Three on the front page of the general section alone.

I have to ask, what is the upside of posting these stories and increasing their reach?

This is a pro 2A - pro firearm forum, and the stories make it look like something Moms Demand would want.

My 2 cents.

What’s the upside? It’s a discussion forum, not a 2A marketing site. What’s the upside of 99% of the threads on here? Are you proposing we selectively censor threads that you think make guns look bad? Those threads stay on the front page because they generate lots of discussion as everyone MMQBs the situation. So what?

I bet if you look at any of those threads you refer to there’s a lesson or three that all of us can learn from in each of them. Or are we supposed to pretend they’re not happening and never speak of them? And you worried about how NES looks to the outside world or is it something else?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here for a while, haven't even been here for a while, so I'm looking at NES with fresh eyes.

Something that jumped out at me immediately is the amount of linked stories about murder where the tool for the job was a gun. Three on the front page of the general section alone.

I have to ask, what is the upside of posting these stories and increasing their reach?

This is a pro 2A - pro firearm forum, and the stories make it look like something Moms Demand would want.

My 2 cents.
Why does there need to be an upside? What's the downside? Would it really matter. If you think anything we do here affects Mom's or the other anti-gun Leftists in any way shape or form you have already cowered a bit and need to snap out of it and put you big boy pants on. We are gonna need everyone standing tall over the coming years.

Short answer: because Reptile.

Long answer: some stories provide valuable information. For example, the snow shoveling murder/homicide is a great lesson on deescalation, as well as marksmanship and handgun effectiveness.

in addition, many murder stories have a good illegal immigration or non-Caucasian thug subtext. It's a good balance against all the BLM/immigration cheerleading that goes on in the main stream media.

i show some of them to my wife who can be a "behind the wheel tough guy"
i use the less graphic ones to try to teach my kids to be aware of whats around them , keep distance and leave the area if theres something going on.
I try to tell my wife and kids there are a lot of people who just dont give a f*** about you or themselves , these can be very dangerous people.

All these stories have a lesson.

They are in the eye of the beholder.

I always put myself in the shoes of both parties - one at a time.

Could I have de escalated? Could I have followed the 4 S rules? What tactical moves could I have made to improve my chances of survival?

Should I leave my gun home today because I'm too lazy to be a responsible American.

What if I AM the bad guy? How could I have better controlled my anger? Did I really let that Karen bait me like that? Maybe next time I will learn to walk away - oh wait I'm going to jail forever. Was this argument worth losing my LTC? Was my new car worth losing my freedom? Should I remind my kids to stay away from those sort of people?

Americas 1st Freedom has a whole page devoted to these stories every month.

Violent content in any form has pros and cons. The conclusions drawn are up to the individual. My wife would constantly bust my aggots about surfing a few sights that put violent videos in your face. I have been lucky enough to spend the majority of my life free of any real violence. For me watching such things made me more aware of exactly how screwed up the world and the people in it are. Forced me to take off the rose colored glasses. You dont want to focus on stuff like that but you cant stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist either.

Hi everyone,

My 2 cents.
Well hiding the fact these shootings happened isn't going to be missed by the anti-gunners either, just go to www.reddit.com/r/gunsarecool to find a nice little list.

It's probably good to highlight irresponsible ownership up to and including malicious intent, a good example is the snow shooting out of PA(?). None of us think that would ever be us, but there's a lot a rational gun owner can learn there- there is little doubt in my mind that this was a long standing feud or perhaps an example of bullying in the adult world that just got out of hand until someone snapped one day. Rational people don't shoot their neighbors over something so simple as snow, highlighting something as f***ing awful as that might give pause to assess your own life and wonder if "could that be me" or "am I in a similar toxic relationship", and identifying those problems ahead of time could lead to more positive outcomes.

Conversely, the idiots busted by BPD with illegally carrying 10lbs of drugs, 30k in cash, and a firearm tell a different story about situational awareness. It's unlikely you or I would ever end up in a confrontation with these guys, but it isn't inconceivable you could end up down range of a gang related shoot out.

Honestly, my problems with most of the news posts about who got shot where is the usual forum actors that immediately throw up the usual false flag/illegal immigrant bullshit as if everything bad that ever happens is faked and your average American couldn't commit a crime, especially if they're white- which is f***ing retarded.

I look at these stories realizing it's not the gun, it's who pulled the trigger, and when seeing who did pull the trigger, have my belief reinforced that gov't "common sense" gun control laws and groups like MDA and everytown are so far off base I believe emotion gets substituted for intellect with much of society.

Hi everyone,

My 2 cents.
While I do understand your thought process on this, I think as others have already posted, these stories often times have info or video that lessons can be learned from. I was never a fan of Israeli carry, but often heard of newbies feeling they needed to carry that way. A story was posted of the jewelry shop owner that was robbed and ultimately was gunned down in front of his daughter because he couldn't get the empty gun in to action quick enough. That video is an eye opener for many who felt they need to carry with and empty chamber.

While I do understand your thought process on this, I think as others have already posted, these stories often times have info or video that lessons can be learned from. I was never a fan of Israeli carry, but often heard of newbies feeling they needed to carry that way. A story was posted of the jewelry shop owner that was robbed and ultimately was gunned down in front of his daughter because he couldn't get the empty gun in to action quick enough. That video is an eye opener for many who felt they need to carry with and empty chamber.
ASP has a video along this line that I can never find of a restaurant owner and his employees trying to bar a armed robber from accessing the kitchen where they're all hiding. Long story short, while the employees are panicing in fear the robber has his arm and gun inside the kitchen door which is being held closed by the owner who's desperately fumbling his gun trying to get a round in the chamber.

Store owner ends up lifeless with like 6 in the chest and his $500 hammer on the floor with a full magazine. For a while it was my goto video for new people on why you don't want to carry with an empty chamber- it just needs way, way more practice.

Hi everyone,

My 2 cents.

I think the stories are a stark reminder that the police are not always going to be there and no one is going to protect you.

Guns are tools like anything else, carry accordingly...be prepared for anything. Your life might depend on it one day.

A person doesn't get up one day and become a gun fighter, it is a learned process. A lot of what ifs and how would I have done it in that scenario, that is what stories and videos accomplish.

I can say from experience that drawing a gun on people is a learned process, you have to have your head in the game or you will be in danger if you are unable or don't act.

The first time I drew a weapon on someone was to stop a stabbing (this is pre CCW days). I was unprepared mentally for the for the if/then scenario of maybe having to shoot.

After a couple of other encounters (I have lived in a few crappy neighbor hoods when I was younger), I was calmer, considered cover, kept distance and was prepared mentally for the plan that I was sure would change.

Last edited:
If one puts a certain member on ignore, you don't see any of those news stories. :cool:
i thought we weren't fans of censorship around here. i would have added cancel culture but we have so many active boycotts going on it's hard to track them.

THEY use the stories to make advertising revenue.
THEY use the stories to promote laws and confiscation.
WE use the stories to illustrate that when it comes right down to it, had these victims been better able to defend themselves, there probably wouldn't have been a story to read in the first place.

WE use the stories to illustrate that when it comes right down to it, had these victims been better able to defend themselves, there probably wouldn't have been a story to read in the first place.
And of course to extol the virtues of judicious marksmanship and training.
Dunno how many stories of creepers getting shot in daughter's bedroom's I've seen, but that could be a self rectifying situation.

Actually if the Goy's had the benefit of watching a video of a similar incident to theirs when it came time to go out and throw snow into their neighbors yard and call him an effin kitty they likely would have elected to stay inside.

I'll know what neighborhoods to avoid.
I think we all do. But sometimes bad things happen in places that you would never expect them to.
That is why we all carry. If we knew where and when there was going to be trouble, we would all just stay away.

I was at a car dealership recently, in a quiet town, and there was a guy there flipping out. He was being very loud and getting more and more angry by the minute. I said to the guy I was talking to, "This is going to escalate, wait for it." Sure as shit, the guy ended his rant with, " I'm going to drive it right through the showroom glass and then shoot everyone one of you motherf***ers!" And he left.
Incredibly stupid. They know exactly who he is, his address, phone number etc. The cops showed up as I was leaving. I assume they were there to take a statement and listen to witnesses. I don't know if the guy was charged or not, but people get shot over stupid shit all the time, like they didn't provide enough dipping sauce for chicken nuggets.

Back
Top Bottom