• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

** POSTED SURVEY RESULTS - see post #19 ** Survey: Ammo Prices Now vs Then?

I was limited by the number of questions, so I could not get specific re: caliber.

The important thing is not so much the caliber, but the price difference between now and 2009 for a specific caliber you bought

But you just said 7.62. Didn't say 7.62x51 (or 308), 7.62x54R, 7.62x39.. Those prices are all drastically different. If you specify one, then at least someone could check off that it's not applicable.

But you just said 7.62. Didn't say 7.62x51 (or 308), 7.62x54R, 7.62x39.. Those prices are all drastically different. If you specify one, then at least someone could check off that it's not applicable.
Yes, it's a crude survey.

For the 7.62 replies, I'll have to go through each individual reply to look at the % difference for now vs then. I hope that responders report on the same rounds for pre-FR and recent prices, so if they bought both 308 and 7.62x39, the only thing to do is choose one type and ignore the other.

I really do applaud your effort; this is a nice idea. But for those of us who don't own a G17, an AR, or an AK, you won't hear anything from us.

Nice try, though.

Filled out the survey. Free 50ct box of 9mm just for answering a few questions? thanks!

I think the 50 ct of 9mm is very appropriate for my time to fill out a survey. Thanks for mine.[wink]

I really do applaud your effort; this is a nice idea. But for those of us who don't own a G17, an AR, or an AK, you won't hear anything from us. Nice try, though.

I like the idea and the survey. Even with the survey limitations, I thought it was good. How about one that see's how many rounds are your reserve and stock? How many rounds to keep per firearm / per caliber (besides the obvious of "one more than the savages breaking down your door)?

I really do applaud your effort; this is a nice idea. But for those of us who don't own a G17, an AR, or an AK, you won't hear anything from us.

Nice try, though.
Thanks man - some data is better than no data!

I went for the most common ammo for the most popular gun types because the free version of this web survey tool is limited to 10 questions

My rule of thumb for prices used to be:

.22LR - $0.10 per round
9mm/.40 - $0.33 per round
.45ACP / .223 / 7.62x39 - $0.40 per round
larger caliber rifle rounds - $1+ per round

Obviously, they change based on brand and bulk purchase discounts, but it was a good "am I getting a deal" vs "am I getting screwed" when I went to say Walmart or Bass Pro.

Now a days, I cringe at getting a box of 20 in .223 for $20, but I've only recently purchased my first AR, so I never had the need/benefit of buying 1000 rounds at $300 from say cheaperthandirt.com back when they shipped to MA.

Thanks to everyone who filled out this survey!

This was something I did to get some real numbers to describe how much more people are paying for ammo now versus a few years ago. Peoples' attitudes about ammo are also interesting, and the trends in preferred ammo types (gun types, really).

The survey took respondents about 3 minutes and was totally anonymous. It was done on a free site, which limited it to only 10 questions.

Summary:

91 people responded to questions about:
- if you're *not* buying ammo right now, why not?
- what did you pay for ammo in 2009 vs what did you pay for it in the past 3 months?
  • 9mm (for 50 rounds)
  • 45c (for 50 rounds)
  • .223 / 5.56 (for 20 rounds)
  • 7.62 (for 20 rounds)
- questions about respondents

Results:

1) if you're *not* buying ammo right now, why not?

All 91 people responded to this item. They could select more than one statement they agreed with from the following list:

"If you decided in the past few months that you're *not* buying ammo at nuts prices, what's your reason? (select more than one if you want)"

a) buying at nuts prices only encourages middlemen to keep charging nuts prices...forever
b) you are using up a heap of ammo you got long ago at pre-nuts prices
c) you can't / won't target shoot when ammo is at nuts prices
d) The Man is watching if/when people buy ammo and that's freaky
e) you know that prices will return to normal when people calm down and stop impulse buying
f) the prices will *NOT* return to "normal"...you're just watching in horror as the bottom drops out
g) you bought a reloading setup and are hoping the cost of supplies doesn't also go nuts

Here is a chart showing the results:

why not buy ammo.jpg

2) Ammo Prices, in 2009 vs the past 3 months (The survey asked "what is the most you paid for XYZ target ammo in 2009/in the past 3 months..." This gives us an indication of what the market would bear at these two points in time.)

This graph is a summary of the prices that people said they paid for target ammo in 2009 and in the past 3 months. I chose the most common ammo varieties and was limited to only 10 questions on the survey, so I could not get into greater detail on the different varieties. Comparing 9mm now vs then is pretty straightforward, and the same is true for 45c...the price differences should tell a clear story because the same person is pretty likely to buy the same sort of ammo at the same places, unless they are reloading (which was one of the survey questions).

Comparing rifle ammo is not straightforward. The survey asked people to say what they paid for "7.62" or ".223 / 5.56" ammo in 2009 and in the past 3 months. There's so much variation in price based on the many varieties (i.e. 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 NATO, 30-06, etc.). Because of this variance in types and prices of the rifle ammo, I only summarized the data from people who bought both in 2009 and in the past 3 months. My hope is that they chose one variety for one gun, like ammo for their M1A or AR15, and just entered prices for this for the time periods.

total bought in 2009total bought in past 3 mo.bought only in 2009bought only in past 3 mo.bought both then & now; what they paid in 2009bought both then & now; what they paid in past 3 mo.
9mm
# responses505119203131
average price$12.73$17.98$12.11$17.24$13.11$18.46
% increase from 2009 to nown/an/an/an/an/a50%
45c
# responses302715121515
average price$16.27$23.84$14.57$24.83$17.97$23.05
% increase from 2009 to nown/an/an/an/an/a37%
.223 / 5.56
# responsesn/an/an/an/a1717
average pricen/an/an/an/a$10.21$15.21
% increase from 2009 to nown/an/an/an/an/a66%
# responsesn/an/an/an/a99
average pricen/an/an/an/a$8.97$13.14
% increase from 2009 to nown/an/an/an/an/a61%

3) Who did the survey?

The survey asked for some info about the respondents...this was all optional:
- do you have an LTC or FID?
- # years with LTC (rounded up)
- # yrs owning guns (rounded up)
- do you carry most days?
- caliber of EDC (some people listed multiple guns here...I chose the first one they listed. Ex: "38, 45, 9mm" = "38")
- state of residence

91 people did the survey and ~50 of them answered some or all of these questions.

Here are some charts summarizing the responses:
fid ltc.jpg have ltc own guns.jpg edc.jpg states.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom