• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Post SHTF Skill ???

Had I known when I was a boy that we may face this reality, I wouldn't have quit boy scouts, learned more skills, been more fit and outdoorsy. Now in my 40's, I have construction and mechanical skills that may or may not translate, but I got a family to feed, so I will probably have to reconcile the fact that I would need to be a stone cold killer, apex predator type and kill my neighbors and towns people for their supplies and food.
SHTF=everything out the window, including the constitution, the commandments, being a good neighbor . It would be 10,000 BC as far as I'm concerned.

If that is going to be your actual course of action, you'd be hanged in less than a week.

Had I known when I was a boy that we may face this reality, I wouldn't have quit boy scouts, learned more skills, been more fit and outdoorsy. Now in my 40's, I have construction and mechanical skills that may or may not translate, but I got a family to feed, so I will probably have to reconcile the fact that I would need to be a stone cold killer, apex predator type and kill my neighbors and towns people for their supplies and food.
SHTF=everything out the window, including the constitution, the commandments, being a good neighbor . It would be 10,000 BC as far as I'm concerned.

See you do have marketable skills. Don't sell yourself short...

So you're the a hole that didn't prepare and you think you can just go around killing to get what you need. Good luck with that.[mg]

Hunt, kill, clean, and cook game
Fish
Grow veggies
Eat just about anything that moves- no problem with crickets, worms, etc.
Fly a plane
Operate a tractor
Drive or motorcycle off road
Repair / rebuild vehicles and most types of power equipment
Repair electronics
Consistently shoot accurately to ~700 to 800 yards. Working on 1,000 but won't say I'm consistent yet.
Rebuild / repair most firearms
Reload including casting projectiles
And most importantly, brew beer. [cheers]

Downloading a full copy of NES would add to my prep. (Is there an export to xml or csv button?)

Have multiple copies of survival manuals and docs stored in ways which can be retrieved without power grid and only battery or solar

Have engineering, logistics, and computing background. Can make cars work if they don't suck.

Mostly though, I think my tools will be what would give me a leg up. Being too far away from like minded inner trust circle people will be my downfall.
Also have tons of textbooks from science courses. Hard copy .

Small sampler selection of firearms and ammo.

Deficiencies:
More medical supplies
More ham gear (haven't replaced HF kit. Ha e a bunch or 2m /440 and frs gear)
Not running 5 miles a day anymore.
Don't shoot enough to be happy with my rifle skills .
Gave away my crappy but functional genset. Never replaced it .
Don't have enough stabilized fuel on hand.
Don't own a diesel.
Good lab grade glassware. I could build a darn good still and run it safely, but don't have anything on the list on hand.

So you're the a hole that didn't prepare and you think you can just go around killing to get what you need. Good luck with that.[mg]
Maybe that was my prep....
If that is going to be your actual course of action, you'd be hanged in less than a week.
I'll be the one running my own gallows.
I do have guillotine blueprints... perhaps I should get to work.

Maybe I could run my own scam like Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly...
Cash in on a bounty the set the guy free before he gets hanged and split the booty.
Then doublecross him.

Hunt, kill, clean, and cook game
Fish
Grow veggies
Eat just about anything that moves- no problem with crickets, worms, etc.
Fly a plane
Operate a tractor
Drive or motorcycle off road
Repair / rebuild vehicles and most types of power equipment
Repair electronics
Consistently shoot accurately to ~700 to 800 yards. Working on 1,000 but won't say I'm consistent yet.
Rebuild / repair most firearms
Reload including casting projectiles
And most importantly, brew beer. [cheers]

You're hired. We'll work on a compensation package later.

I know a little about a lot of things. The type of massage therapy I do is closer to PT so that could be helpful when people get hurt. Plus you'll have a bunch of people doing more manual labor they aren't used to.
Except for the "kill people and take stuff" guys. They just need to keep the trigger finger limber.

I'll have to update my NES sh!t list.

**mental note, do not call Palladin if I need an electrician. He might be keeping a list.**

:cool:

Gardening/crop production
Cooking/feeding large groups efficiently and equipment to do it
Construction, built many buildings/houses including my own house and garage/ barn and out buildings.
Mechanical skills, can fix and maintain and operate just about anything large or small
Welding, stick, mig, tig, and all the equipment to do them
Emergency medical skills and supplies
Communications
Firearms
Reloading
Rigging heavy objects for moving
Electrical
Tactical security
Large barter stock of essential items
Can tend cattle and other farm animals
Tools for many trades on hand, with spares.

I know how to keep women from getting pregnant...

Back
Top Bottom