Post pics of your Shack here!

Nice. You playing in the contest this weekend?. I'm going down to the shack in a minute or two.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Here's my 'Shack in a Box' I put together recently consisting of a Gator half-rack road case, an Icom IC-7100, an LDG antenna tuner, and a power supply. I also use an Icom ID-51 HT and a Yaesu FTM-400 in the truck. I'm a tech since 1993 and hope to take the General shortly.

IMG_7022.JPG IMG_7024.JPG IMG_7030.JPG IMG_7042.JPG IMG_7046.JPG

I would like to what contest? I just got up and running yesterday. I have been out of HF for the last three months since I sold my Yaesu FT950. I just receieved the Ten Tec Orion II yesterday.

Nice. You playing in the contest this weekend?. I'm going down to the shack in a minute or two.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would like to what contest? I just got up and running yesterday. I have been out of HF for the last three months since I sold my Yaesu FT950. I just receieved the Ten Tec Orion II yesterday.

The WPX contest is this weekend through 23:59 zulu Sunday. 10,15,20,40,80 and 160 meters. You‘ll hear all kinds of stations calling ‘cq contest'. The exchange is simple. They give you a signal report and serial number and you do the same. For your first contact in the contest it would be 59 1. For your 10th contact it would be 59 10. By now (half way through) lots of the stations have thousands of contacts. You can participate as much or as little as you want and you dont have to submit your log unless you are want to. .
The rues are posted here; http://www.cqwpx.com/rules.htm

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. Yesterday I made contacts on 10 and 40 meters.

Nice. I wasn';t on the air a lot but I did make a bunch of contacts. Got Samoa on 10 meters. That's a new one for me.

I love when these guys are on their 2000th contact and I'm giving them number 50. LOL

I know what you are talking about I got 25 contacts. It was fun anyway you look at it. It's great to be back on HF. It look like I will be taking my Extra Test the end of April.
KC1ABV

The extra ticket will be a help. I've gotten lots of good contacts in the extra portion of the bands.

I know what you are talking about I got 25 contacts. It was fun anyway you look at it. It's great to be back on HF. It look like I will be taking my Extra Test the end of April.
KC1ABV

Finally got it all together for my lake home (to operate portable this summer)..I found a Yeasu FT-840 and an Ameritron tuner and an ICOM IC-2KL solid state Linear Amplifier...all from craigslist. The XYL let me set it up by the front windows so I can have a relaxing view while trying to work DX. She did help me string up a G5RV between a couple of pine trees behind our house.
2e0ohok.jpg

sqpml4.jpg

s24fh1.jpg

Once it was set up, the XYL promptly stole my station (she holds a General class license too)....

htu51s.jpg

I think I see a herd of kids playing out in the driveway. A little slice of heaven there.
And your XYL "...came in first in my region and second nationally..." in the rookie roundup?!?!?!? Jim, you are one lucky man!

I think I see a herd of kids playing out in the driveway. A little slice of heaven there.
And your XYL "...came in first in my region and second nationally..." in the rookie roundup?!?!?!? Jim, you are one lucky man!

Bob you are right and I count my blessings! But you were instrumental in assisting me getting my ticket and that resulted in my wife getting the bug too....so thanks buddy!

Old thread, but here's my ham shack. Mobile unit and I also have the baofeng uv5r. Temp wiring until I drop the headliner and drill the roof and do some wire runs and panel removal.
0ba1073e3cb486c00ca8412710ac73a3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

That's pretty visible while driving. I'm wearing my tinfoil hat at the moment. I remember reading that the regulations and/or courts say that even in states that ban cell phone use still allow ham radio use in the car. Having a copy of whatever those regs are in the glove box may come in handy if an ignorant popo pulls you over.

Come to think of it, that long antenna on my car tells the same story. I had better find those regulations myself.

I am torn on whether or not I will remote it under the seat and put the head on the dash. Its small enough and its an FJ cruiser so there is tons of room up there and it doesn't block the vision of the road at all. If I decide to add additional rigs, maybe I will remote it, but for now, I think I will leave it up there. I have a small handheld CB as well (Midland 75-822) for some upcoming offroad runs, and a hardwired 4' wilson FLEX CB antenna on the hinge of the back door. I leave the CB antenna inside, because the only thing you hear around my area is channel 6 with people in far off lands, always talking and saying nothing on overpowered rigs.

Are there specific regs in MA on HAM? I have looked but didnt see much. I have heard in some places that you can monitor emergency frequencies as a HAM while driving, but I am not sure if that's the case around here.

Actually I just did some digging and didn't come up with much. All I found was a NY judge declared it's OK in NY and some controversy about CA's hads free law.

You can be cited for distracted while driving when distracted by a legal device too. I imagine if John Law sees you wanter over the center line while talking the blue lights will come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is a Commander 1275 I do not have it in service right now because I have to run a dedicated 220 line into my office and have not gotten around to this. Maybe it will be up and running in a few weeks. I also need to get a high power runner before I use it.

When I took the pic it wasnt sideways 90°..
Im from Calif but dont admitt to actually living there..
Props for not using the 2 letter federal state abbreviation for California.

Yes, you don't know how to use your phone / camera....?? Aren't you Calif. people "tech savy"?

its been a few years so I am bumping this thread. I just got my ticket last week, waiting for the call sign to appear on the FCC database.

Looking for ideas to build a shack, don't forget the antenna pictures!

its been a few years so I am bumping this thread. I just got my ticket last week, waiting for the call sign to appear on the FCC database.

Looking for ideas to build a shack, don't forget the antenna pictures!

I just bought some new gear and will post some pictures once I get it all together and up and running.

Back
Top Bottom