Post-Downtime Thread

sHORTY

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve changed my mind.

The functionality of posting from a mobil device when you want to do anything besides type a post is virtually unusable.

When I try to simply highlight and bold text half the time clicking the B returns me to the NES home page!

Just tried. Notice no bold text in this post? That’s because I cannot. It sends me back to the home page.

Also, when clicking in the window to type, it shoots the window down to the bottom of the screen where the keyboard pops of over it so I can’t see what I’m typing unless manually scrolling up. And if I accidentally click out of the window, so the keyboard goes away, clicking back in restarts the process.

And because there is no more “go advanced” option, which takes you to a page exclusive for posting without the rest of the thread, I’m constantly getting shot up the thread anytime I click out of the posting window.
I have no idea why anything is returning you to the homepage - there are not links to the homepage anywhere except the header.

With regards to the keyboard handling, that's not something I can control - this is controlled by your browser.

Either way, I'll add in an option for an equivalent to the 'advanced' editor from before that should hopefully help.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All my tabs begin with (3) before the title of the tab.

Edit: Now it just changed to all having a (4).

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have no idea why anything is returning you to the homepage - there are not links to the homepage anywhere except the header.

With regards to the keyboard handling, that's not something I can control - this is controlled by your browser.

Either way, I'll add in an option for an equivalent to the 'advanced' editor from before that should hopefully help.
fwiw I noticed some similar oddities with selecting words/phrases on the phone as well, but I usually only use my phone when I'm half asleep, so I chalked it up to fading in and out.

On the (Android) phone I use Chrome.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure why either but I tested it several times and when highlighting text and clicking the ‘B’, numerous times sent me to the home page.

Before, when clicking in the text box to type, the forum would automatically move the box into view above the keyboard when they keyboard pops up. Now it either doesn’t move it or moves it underneath the keyboard, and you have to manually scroll it into view. It’s very annoying and definitely different from the old version.

And I just noticed now while typing, when the “Messages have been posted since you loaded this page” notification appears, while typing, it also pushes the text box out of view. Also very annoying.

613547C6-C894-4E84-9768-42597D5A09B3.png

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a [drunk] emoji for those that enhance the web surfing experience after 4 or 5pm.
Did you ever consider maybe you're getting shot because this is a GUN forum?! sheesh!
IPhone has a drunk emoji
IMG_0615.JPG
🥴 This one here on XenF is close, but not really woozy looking, more like a harelip.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Twice as many cookies loaded for each visit to track my browsing history. But since I clear browsing history after visiting any site, that doesn't amount to a piss hole in the snow!

Last edited:

sHORTY

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice as many cookies loaded for each visit to track my browsing history. But since I clear browsing history after visiting any site, that doesn't amount to a piss hole in the snow!
I mean, whatever makes you feel better, but you're only causing yourself pain by clearing out the NES cookies. You log in to the site so we're already explicitly tracking everything you do via that as it's required for anything here to work. Third party sites can't read or access the cookies created by NES.

Install an ad blocker and block tracking cookies, but clearing first party cookies constantly is super overkill.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not sure why either but I tested it several times and when highlighting text and clicking the ‘B’, numerous times sent me to the home page.

Before, when clicking in the text box to type, the forum would automatically move the box into view above the keyboard when they keyboard pops up. Now it either doesn’t move it or moves it underneath the keyboard, and you have to manually scroll it into view. It’s very annoying and definitely different from the old version.

And I just noticed now while typing, when the “Messages have been posted since you loaded this page” notification appears, while typing, it also pushes the text box out of view. Also very annoying.

View attachment 310159
Disable those push notifications. I found that makes the page suddenly jump to the top regardless of what else I may be in the middle of.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I declined push notifications and selected the never ask me again option. The page doesn’t jump to the top, it just moves up enough so that the reply box is obstructed by the keyboard. From this screenshot to the second.

4BAAD893-044A-4E72-B8DA-111A6626325C.png20663B25-7F81-4C13-8956-F6A2E5F58C12.png

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I declined push notifications and selected the never ask me again option. The page doesn’t jump to the top, it just moves up enough so that the reply box is obstructed by the keyboard. From this screenshot to the second.

View attachment 310216View attachment 310217
OH I see. Yes, that keeps happening to me too. The reply box gets stuck under my keyboard so I have to close the keyboard, scroll the whole page, then open keyboard again and hope I got it right.

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One gripe.

While it is possible to list threads that I'm watching and also have unread messages and it is possible to list all threads I'm watching whether or not with new messages and it's quite easy to list all new threads and threads with new messages, it's a little clumsy to go between them.

The old "xen/watched/threads" with the button to "also" show those without new messages was efficient and pretty intuitive. No fiddling with defaults and adjusting to suit a whim. Too many clicks.

I don't even care if there's a menu item / button to do it. If you can publish the urls to accomplish those things, I'll add my own bookmarks!

- list of all threads that are watched and have new unread messages in them (the old watched/threads link)
- list of all threads that are watched, whether or not they have new messages in them (the old watched/threads + read link)
- list of all new threads (thus with new unread messages) (the old new-posts link)

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The notice =---> Northeastshooters.com Forums would like your permission to enable push notifications.

When you click on the X you get

We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity.
and if you answer Never ask again, if you clear cookies after a logon, and come back here, the Notice reappears. If you logout and come back without clearing cookies, the notice does not reappear.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The notice =---> Northeastshooters.com Forums would like your permission to enable push notifications.

When you click on the X you get

We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity.
and if you answer Never ask again, if you clear cookies after a logon, and come back here, the Notice reappears. If you logout and come back without clearing cookies, the notice does not reappear.
Going out on a limb, the site is protecting your privacy by maintaining your preference on your own device rather than as a row of data on a server that can be seized by the gubbermint.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I mean, whatever makes you feel better, but you're only causing yourself pain by clearing out the NES cookies. You log in to the site so we're already explicitly tracking everything you do via that as it's required for anything here to work. Third party sites can't read or access the cookies created by NES.

Install an ad blocker and block tracking cookies, but clearing first party cookies constantly is super overkill.
Yup, I clear browsing history/cookies and passwords before and after each site visit. Pain??? No pain here! I do not access any other services from any website, I go directly to the website I use a service for. I got an unusual activity notice from one site. HaHaHa. I "Need" to do nothing, other than what I'm doing.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Going out on a limb, the site is protecting your privacy by maintaining your preference on your own device rather than as a row of data on a server that can be seized by the gubbermint.
sHorty said
I mean, whatever makes you feel better, but you're only causing yourself pain by clearing out the NES cookies.
Ok, but why does the NEW read feature maintain correct pointers after I clear cookies. I just cleared the whole forum as marked as read, loged out, cleared cookies and came back under a new logon and the off topic thread only had a few "NEW" posts, correctly flagged as new since my logoff. That feature does not rely on cookies. This enable push is only a couple key presses but it seems an indicator of other cookie demanding features.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
sHorty said

Ok, but why does the NEW read feature maintain correct pointers after I clear cookies. I just cleared the whole forum as marked as read, loged out, cleared cookies and came back under a new logon and the off topic thread only had a few "NEW" posts, correctly flagged as new since my logoff. That feature does not rely on cookies. This enable push is only a couple key presses but it seems an indicator of other cookie demanding features.
First, a disclaimer. I'm just another member here. I'm commenting based on my own experience in software development.

My best guess is, different developers worked on different features and didn't use a "site Bible" of UI features.

My wisecrack about maintaining privacy was just that. A wisecrack.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wisecrack about maintaining privacy was just that. A wisecrack.
Not critical... It's just a noticed thing, not a critical important problem. I always enjoy wisecracks.

When programming, it could take me three days to find a missing period, (.) in a program. Sometimes this seeming stupid items are indicative of deeper problems. Inconsistencies within operations are indicators of deeper problems. I just point out stupid =-----> inconsistencies.

sHORTY

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not understanding your question - your by thread 'read' status is stored on the server, rather than via cookie. The only major thing the cookies are used for is security on a per-session basis. These are the three main cookies we utilize, and their function:
  • xf_nes_csrf
    • Stores a token, unique to you, which is used to verify that the actions you perform on this site were intended to be performed by you.
  • xf_nes_session
    • Stores the current ID of your session.
  • xf_nes_user
    • Stores a key, unique to you, which allows us to keep you logged in to the software as you navigate from page to page.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've found we either need to go back to a single type of like or enhance it slightly so we can like one part of the post while laughing at another or even hearting another paragraph.

Trying to decide WHICH like to use is paralyzing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you click on "watched" (not capitalized), it brings up your watched threads, all of them. The old one used to bring up the UNREAD watched threads, then you could click a link at the bottom to turn them ALL on. Having this back would be nice. Thanks.

white feather

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So on my phone, everyone's avatar is about as large as the screen... I had to remove mine as when it was displayed, there was no room to view the thread.
This is still a problem. It seems that the top right hand section of the screen where the avatar, envelope, bell, and search is magfnified and covers over the page. The page is under this huge avatar and other stuff but it can't be minimized. I put my avatar back and now only view the forum on my PC... [crying]

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Having a hell of a time enlarging and viewing pics in the firearms classifieds on iPhone. Tried using fingers to swipe (zoom) in and out as one normally would.

Doesn’t work or works very wonky. After trying the +/- button up on the afforded toolbox when viewing pics, it still doesn’t make them near close enough to see details on the firearms, and if you then try to expand (zoom out) with your fingers to get a closer look, it actually makes it smaller not larger, backwards affect.

Anyone else struggling with the pics there?

Top Bottom