• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Post collapse - prepared?

chindogg

NES Member
I read guys on NES talking about it being time for a reset and lets bring it type of stuff. I agree that things must change in order to preserve what our country stands/stood for and to end this corruption and evil ( IMHO ). I do think however expectations may differ from reality when the one of the many possibilities occur : dollar collapses, solar flare, natural disaster etc. Pick your poison. Here are a couple of articles to ponder. I pray these things never happen. http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/shocking-videos-the-post-collapse-world-will-be-violent-and-brutal-extremely-graphic-imagery_06132014 http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/03/the-5-stages-of-economic-collapse-financial-commercial-political-social-cultural-2580752.html

The joke is that people think they are gonna flee somewhere. The roads will be jammed, no gas, no food, sheeple all over the place. Also the loners with piles of stuff will be easy targets. You need a small group to be effective.i am south if Worcester if stuff gets bad.i already know a spot with a hand cranked well. Water will be key. Anyone wanna hang let me know

Nah the html code was all wonky. Link may work on some but it didn't work in my browser. This works:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-ne...and-brutal-extremely-graphic-imagery_06132014

BTW, as a counterpoint, the British broke up their own empire with minimal violence. It didn't collapse in a civil war, by enemy conquest, or invasion. That was a first for modern history.

The second time it happened non-violently was the collapse of the Soviet Empire.

I think those examples are more indicative of what will happen in America. Different regions will break off to self-govern more suitably than an out-of-touch centralized government.

Last edited:
I am not particularly concerned about total societal collapse. If nothing else, "normalcy bias" works in our favor for once -- When the masses finally realize it is time to get out of the cities, it'll be too late to get out of the cities.

I disagree with the people who suggest that a massive shocking collapse or globe-encompassing disaster is going to happen (aka "Zombie Apocalypse"). these scenarios, while not impossible, are highly improbable; it is a poor allocation of resources to put any significant effort into preps which are only useful in these extreme situations. You want plans and gear that are useful for both a 4-day blizzard and a 40-day deluge, but if you start building an ark as your first priority, people will (rightly) call you crazy.

Dr. Ali Khan said:
If you are generally well equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse you will be prepared for a hurricane, pandemic, earthquake, or terrorist attack.

I have a full tank of gas and half a pack of marboros.

You are not prepared and have no idea what to expect. Whatever you plan for wont happen. I'll tell you what to expect , because I am wicked smart. ....

My Plan "A" : is to eat , stay warm and dry , have friends that can help each other , not be weak in security , and wing it it from there.

Of course we have options and skills , from living in existing rural boonie-ville to stealing Old. Ironsides and shelling Saigon.

BTW preparation starts with where you choose to live.

Absolutely! Having lived in rural America almost all my life, I get a kick out of people who live in cities and will "bug out" when the SHTF. I can just picture what will happen when carloads of city folks think they are going to do some long-term camping in someone else's back yard. I'll expect a postcard letting me know how well that works out.

Pray for the best, prepare for the worst = win!

And prepare to be blindsided by something you never expected. I hate to be the stinker on these threads lately, but you don't need to have a massive societal collapse or natural disaster in order to experience your own personal apocalypse.

I will add to your list: spend time with the people you love, because you could lose them at any moment. pray and prep, by all means, but don't ignore the people you are doing it for, and don't forego things because of what if?

Absolutely! Having lived in rural America almost all my life, I get a kick out of people who live in cities and will "bug out" when the SHTF. I can just picture what will happen when carloads of city folks think they are going to do some long-term camping in someone else's back yard. I'll expect a postcard letting me know how well that works out.

That whole 'this is my family's land' thing is going to put a crimp on that for sure.

I have a feeling that 'please leave' isn't going to do much good if those times come.

They'll end up camping on I93 , I95 , & R16. Keep it nice and neat for FEMA and Vikings to service them all.

or until they run out of gas

That whole 'this is my family's land' thing is going to put a crimp on that for sure.

I have a feeling that 'please leave' isn't going to do much good if those times come.

Yeah on a forum like this, "Please leave" won't really be a pleading request.

Last edited:
People who want to leave the resources of the city behind are idiots. I hope they leave the city and take their idiot suburban friends with them. Canada?

Of course we have options and skills , from living in existing rural boonie-ville to stealing Old Ironsides and shelling Saigon.
I'd rather have the Cassin Young.....

I lived in Marbledead when the Constitution visited. Wuz cool.

Last edited:
The Constitution may be a little bit of a reach , I was really thinking of a Novy hull trawler with a few drums of scavenged home hearing oil and an F-ton of 5 gallon buckets full of breakfast and 5.56.

There is no way to know what happens , if the end comes , our children may look back and say - that one day right there was the day our parents should have done something different , instead of going to work and watching the news all night ...

I suppose I could wait patiently for the government to come save me from itself. If I have a 3 day emergency kit , with duct tape and plastic , copies of all my documents , and no weapons they'll probably let me on the bus. Of course I'll have to leave my dogs behind. And hope the accommodations at the FEMA camp are acceptable.

Yup. But it's not getting posted on NES. In a scenario like that you don't need much to stay ahead of societal decline.

If you're prepared that is.

I do think however expectations may differ from reality when the one of the many possibilities occur : dollar collapses, solar flare, natural disaster etc.

Yeah. Very likely you'll be one of the zombies and not one of the few remaining humans shooting them.

Having said that, I like zombie stories for a reason I find it hard to put my finger on.

I have 3 locations of differing distances. One close to home 12 miles into the wilderness one 75 miles and the other is about 3o miles . All back road accessible from my house with enough warning I am hopeful I can get to the at least the first one the second one may have to wait til things calm down a bit. All have water ad ample food.

IMO the biggest threat that faces preppers, is complacency.

Thinking that you're ready for anything.

At best, you can get the odds a bit more in your favor Unless you have prior warning that nobody else has, a bugout to Firebase Delta is gonna be trouble.

If you're bugging in, turning away the neighbor that you don't hate, that has the 6-month-old and needs clean water for formula, is gonna be tough.

I suppose I could wait patiently for the government to come save me from itself. If I have a 3 day emergency kit , with duct tape and plastic , copies of all my documents , and no weapons they'll probably let me on the bus. Of course I'll have to leave my dogs behind. /QUOTE]

Sorry guy but in the "post" world , Dogs = Food ! Gives new meaning to the expression "its a dog eat dog world!""

I have 3 locations of differing distances. One close to home 12 miles into the wilderness one 75 miles and the other is about 3o miles . All back road accessible from my house with enough warning I am hopeful I can get to the at least the first one the second one may have to wait til things calm down a bit. All have water ad ample food.
So you must be the clown that filled my shed up with twinkies & beer..
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom