Post Ban mags & Military pre-deployment

ARV

Ok so my friend asked me this last night and I didn't know the exact answer. Hes going to Afghanistan in July, and it was recommended he buy some of his own 30 round mags. It was specifically recommended he buy HK mags. Seeing as I dont own an AR, heres what I was asked:

1) Can he buy them and posses them in Mass without an LTC, because they are for military use. (Im guessing that's a no-go)

2) What brand should he get? He said he would prefer not to spend a ton of money if he isn't getting better quality.

3) Where can he order from? Seeing as I assume that he cant posses them in Ma on his own, he has a guy in his unit in RI (Hes in the RI guard) that he can have them shipped to. I'd like to tell him someplace that has good prices, and wont cancel the order because they see a Ma billing address despite a RI shipping address.

Thanks guys!

No, he can't legally possess new hi-cap mags in MA even if he had a LTC!

Being in the MIL doesn't extend that privilege and EOPS even says LEOs aren't supposed to own them to be used on the job either!

I would not want to risk it.

Being in the MIL doesn't extend that privilege and EOPS even says LEOs aren't supposed to own them to be used on the job either!

Thats what I figured, and thats what I said. I was erring on the side of caution with that.

Also, HK mags aren't all "that". A lot of instructors prefer eitiher regular USGI or Magpul mags. If buying your own mags, just get regular USGI Al ones, so there won't be any issues with M27 IAR.

Tell him to ask his team leader to move the question of why hasn't the supply NCO pulled his head out of his ass yet to order the improved mags with the tan followers up the chain of command. These improved mags have been out for FOUR YEARS! I haven't the slightest idea why some of these units are still telling their joes to buy their own magazines. I bet they have ACOG's, DBAL''s, PEQ-15's and PVS-14's, but not improved mags - no of course not! If he buys anything, get a combat load of pmags. Don't waste your money on the HK's.

He can have possession of them in accordance with his duties, doesn't matter what any state law says. They are part of his issued gear and are expected to be taken home and used upon return to drill. I'd love to see him try to be prosecuted for it. The prosecutor will have his work cut out for him. Now with that said, I wouldn't take them to the range for use in a personal weapon.

CTsupra, said person would be prosecuted by MA DAs and have to prove this (with documentation) in court. NOT a nice position to be in, expensive and with MA liberal judges there is no guarantee about outcome. With EOPS position that officers MUST leave their hi-caps at the PD at the end of shift, it's no stretch to see a prosecution.

Sorry, you must be thinking of the laws in the United States! MA hasn't belonged or ascribed to them in a very long time!

I wouldn't want to be the test subject for prosecution; but, I have been pulled over with my TA-50 before, it is not a pleasant experience.
About an hour and four patrol cars later I got to go home.

OP: I personally liked the PMAGs more than the USGI; new or refurbished USGI mags are fine, but, if he didn't open them out of the bag I wouldn't trust them either. Just let him know whatever he buys to watch the lips, especially on metal mags. An MP unit, right? Tell him good luck and take care!

I wouldn't want to be the test subject for prosecution; but, I have been pulled over with my TA-50 before, it is not a pleasant experience.
About an hour and four patrol cars later I got to go home.

OP: I personally liked the PMAGs more than the USGI; new or refurbished USGI mags are fine, but, if he didn't open them out of the bag I wouldn't trust them either. Just let him know whatever he buys to watch the lips, especially on metal mags. An MP unit, right? Tell him good luck and take care!

Yup, MP unit.

CTsupra, I have no idea why they dont have new ones, I asked why he had to buy his own. He said he doesn't have to, but was told the ones they will be given over there are beat to hell, so its a good idea to bring your own to be guaranteed good mags. He has a link to this thread, and I've passed on a few PM's to him as well.

Im just going to tell him to keep them the hell out of Ma. Hes in the RI guard, and one of his buddies who is also in the unit lives in RI, so he can store stuff there. Not sure how his CO's would feel about him being arrested and having to deal with court, just before hes set to ship out.

I was involved with unit rotations into and out of theater. We had all received brand new magazines in our CIF issue (green followers), but when we arrived in theater, we turned in our new (empty) magazines to be replaced with an equal number of loaded magazines. I'm sure that our magazines went to the next unit coming through.
When units left theater, they turned in full magazines and received empty ones in exchange.

We kept foot lockers full of full and empty magazines to facilitate the exchange.

Sent from my cell phone using Forum Runner. Please excuse spelling errors, formatting, and absent links.

Well 90% of his issued mags are probably post ban anyway. I would tell him to avoid the HKs and just go with pmags. The one issue we did have was the Pmags won't fit the M27s, though not many units have fielded them yet. The E-mags, still 1/3 the price of the HK mags solve this problem, and I think the new Pmags do as well.

While my "legal" advice would be don't do it. From a practical standpoint, he should get some reliable mags. He probably already has a bunch of post-ban aluminum ones that are issued. Based off what I have seen used for non-military purposes here, some guy on his way to Afghanistan is more likely to get struck by lightning then charged with a crime for his pmags. Possible, yes, appreciably likely, no. He can get what he needs.

Mike

Thats what I figured, and thats what I said. I was erring on the side of caution with that.

Erring on the side of caution is to say F&%k the MA law. He should go to CT and buy a bunch of Brownells USGI mags over the counter and bring them to the sandbox.

When he's done with his deployment , if they're still in good condition, he should gift them to someone who either didn't have the money or the foresight to bring his own mags.

Its about balancing risk. What is he more frightened of? Breaking the letter, but not the spirit of the law as he's about to be deployed to put his life on the line for his country, or getting shot by a talaban?

If he's that worried, let me know. I'll get him some mags wholesale and ship them directly to Afghanistan. I'm guessing I wouldn't have trouble getting people here to kick in to cover the cost.

don

get his address in-country, and have a shop in NH mail them to him after he is deployed.

Erring on the side of caution is to say F&%k the MA law. He should go to CT and buy a bunch of Brownells USGI mags over the counter and bring them to the sandbox.

When he's done with his deployment , if they're still in good condition, he should gift them to someone who either didn't have the money or the foresight to bring his own mags.

Its about balancing risk. What is he more frightened of? Breaking the letter, but not the spirit of the law as he's about to be deployed to put his life on the line for his country, or getting shot by a talaban?

If he's that worried, let me know. I'll get him some mags wholesale and ship them directly to Afghanistan. I'm guessing I wouldn't have trouble getting people here to kick in to cover the cost.

don

As noted, he was just curious about having them in Mass, but is in the RI guard with long time friends who are in the same unit, that live in RI. He'll just keep them there in RI. He mostly wanted to know if he could have them shipped to his house legally and keep them there, otherwise they'll just go to said friends house in RI.

There should be no need to mail them after he leaves. It was basically just a possession question, and who will sell to him with a Ma billing address. Basically, any mitigating hassle.

Using RI contacts is the safest way to do this.

Many DAs in MA salivate at the opportunity to jack up a law-abiding citizen. I doubt many have any respect for the Military either. I would just hate to see someone jacked up over it, and there is an easy solution here that is perfectly legal.

Many DAs in MA salivate at the opportunity to jack up a law-abiding citizen. I doubt many have any respect for the Military either. I would just hate to see someone jacked up over it, and there is an easy solution here that is perfectly legal.

Yup, thats basically the route its gonna go, and it seems PMags are winning the race here. Anyone have a good online vendor that wont crap themselves over a MA billing address & RI shipping address?

Agreed.

If he ever did find himself in court for that BS his CO, 1SG and probably the rest of the RIARNG higher command will be up to bat for him and the DA will be put to shame.

Back
Top Bottom