Post #700

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
My new truck. :D A buddy of mine gave me a good deal on this 2005 Tacoma Crew cab. He's on the left, I'm on the right. Nothing but smiles.

2005_tacoma.jpg

I'm a Marine not a Squid. Didn't John Belushi say the Germans Attacked Pearl Harbor?

ETA: Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Heh.

When I got my bike (a BMW), my mother told me that it would probably "goose-step out of the garage". Guess what she's been driving for the last 20 years? Yup, Nissans and Hondas.

Yeesh.

Ross

Well...
I just picked up my new Dodge Ram 1500 last week, and I ride a Harley.

Does that make me an elitist? :D

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Well...
I just picked up my new Dodge Ram 1500 last week, and I ride a Harley.

Does that make me an elitist? :D

No, Adam, but it will make you deaf unless you wear earplugs... or get rid of those straight pipes that almost all Harley riders seem to love. [lol]

I ride a Beemer... I'm the elitist!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Ross

No straight (drag) pipes for me. I upgraded the factory pipes to Vance & Hines performance exhaust. Not as loud as the drag pipes, and they actually add performance rather than dumping all the bottom end torque. Don't get me wrong though, when it's building power there is no mistaking that it's a Harley coming! :D

Adam

dwarven1 said:
I ride a Beemer... I'm the elitist!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Ross

Yeah, a lot of the BM riders are. I USED to be one, until I wanted a QUICKER bike, and bought a Harley "product".

Ross, you coming up to the MOA National next year? It's going to be a couple of miles down the "street" from where I work.

s3t.jpg

NICE truck, Derek!!! The Tacoma Crew Cab was one of the trucks I looked at when I got rid of my Ram four years ago (An extended cab truck absolutely STINKS ON ICE when it comes to loading/offloading small chillens...).

Went with the Durango because it's American, dammit! (No, just kidding. We got the Durango because it was bigger, had a bigger engine, and was cheaper).

My wife commandeered it almost immediately after we bought it. It's a lot easier to load the kids into and out of than her car (Honda Accord), so...

Now I drive the Accord...

But I ride a Harley.

Nickle said:
Yeah, a lot of the BM riders are. I USED to be one, until I wanted a QUICKER bike, and bought a Harley "product".

Ross, you coming up to the MOA National next year? It's going to be a couple of miles down the "street" from where I work.

Hey, I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be. That's why all the smiley's. Although I have to admit that one of my pet peeves are straight pipes... especially going by my house late at night. Or in front of me when I'm on my nice, quiet, factory-exhaust R65.

As for the '06 National - I didn't know that a site had been chosen yet. Didn't see anything in the ON and there's nothing on the website about it either. But I see that you're in VT, so even though I'm not much for rallies, I may pop in for a day or two. My sister lives in Shelburne Falls, so I may go up there and steal my niece to come with me.

Waitaminute... I'm thinking of bring a 16 year old girl (and a darn cute one, at that) to a BIKE RALLY?? My sister'd kill me! Oh, wait... my sister is the one who believes that owning guns "opens you up to the path of violence"; I'm safe. :)

dwarven1 said:
Nickle said:

Hey, I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be. That's why all the smiley's. Although I have to admit that one of my pet peeves are straight pipes... especially going by my house late at night. Or in front of me when I'm on my nice, quiet, factory-exhaust R65.

As for the '06 National - I didn't know that a site had been chosen yet. Didn't see anything in the ON and there's nothing on the website about it either. But I see that you're in VT, so even though I'm not much for rallies, I may pop in for a day or two. My sister lives in Shelburne Falls, so I may go up there and steal my niece to come with me.

Waitaminute... I'm thinking of bring a 16 year old girl (and a darn cute one, at that) to a BIKE RALLY?? My sister'd kill me! Oh, wait... my sister is the one who believes that owning guns "opens you up to the path of violence"; I'm safe. :)

I've got a VERY good friend that just happens to be an MOA Ambassador. I used to live in Shelburne, still go by the Falls a couple of times a week.

I wouldn't worry about a 16 year old at a bike rally. They're very safe places, even the "outlaw wanna be" rallies put on by some of the Harley and Wanna Be Harley folks. Harley Owners Group Rallies and most rallies attended by BM riders are VERY safe. My "kids" have attended them for years, my daughter rides a Black K75S, and pulls a trailer.

Besides, you can carry concealed up here WITHOUT any permit. VT doesn't believe in CCW permits, not required.

I always say "There goes Horspower going to waste as noise" whenever I hear straight pipes. My Buell isn't quiet, but it isn't loud either. Stock exhaust still.

dwarven1 said:
My sister lives in Shelburne Falls, so I may go up there and steal my niece to come with me.

Waitaminute... I'm thinking of bring a 16 year old girl (and a darn cute one, at that) to a BIKE RALLY??

Ask your niece if she knows a Kelsey F. that lives in Hinesburg. That's my niece.

Nickle said:
I wouldn't worry about a 16 year old at a bike rally. They're very safe places, even the "outlaw wanna be" rallies put on by some of the Harley and Wanna Be Harley folks. Harley Owners Group Rallies and most rallies attended by BM riders are VERY safe. My "kids" have attended them for years, my daughter rides a Black K75S, and pulls a trailer.

Besides, you can carry concealed up here WITHOUT any permit. VT doesn't believe in CCW permits, not required.

I always say "There goes Horspower going to waste as noise" whenever I hear straight pipes. My Buell isn't quiet, but it isn't loud either. Stock exhaust still.

I wasn't really worried... more making a joke than anything else. I was at Rhinebeck and know the kind of people there. The only thing I'd be worried about is if I camp... and that idiot with the conch from Rhinebeck is at the rally. I'd be very tempted to stuff it down his throat if he blows it at 3 AM again.

"Horsepower going to waste" - I may have to borrow that. I like it.

Ross

PS - I'll ask Liz if she knows Kelsey. It's not likely, though, as my sister just moved to VT last summer. Spent a year in KY, but didn't like the area... I suspect that she saw too many rifle racks on pickups and she probably mouthed off about her liberal attitudes. But that's just a guess. :)

dwarven1 said:
I wasn't really worried... more making a joke than anything else. I was at Rhinebeck and know the kind of people there. The only thing I'd be worried about is if I camp... and that idiot with the conch from Rhinebeck is at the rally. I'd be very tempted to stuff it down his throat if he blows it at 3 AM again.

"Horsepower going to waste" - I may have to borrow that. I like it.

Ross

PS - I'll ask Liz if she knows Kelsey. It's not likely, though, as my sister just moved to VT last summer. Spent a year in KY, but didn't like the area... I suspect that she saw too many rifle racks on pickups and she probably mouthed off about her liberal attitudes. But that's just a guess. :)

If it was a big guy with glasses and very dark hair, I think that would be Big Dog (his DeadHorse name). I wasn't there, but that'd be like him. You'll have to stand in a LONG line if it was him.

If you remember the short Italian Lady (very classy) running the tour both at Rhinebeck, she's another close friend of mine. Another DeadHorse.

If Liz goes to CVU, they probably do know each other. Small school.

I think you'll find that we have a lot of common friends. I know a LOT of the New England area BMW riders. I even used to belong to the Yankee Beemers.

I've emailed my sister to find out where Liz goes to school.

As for Rhinebeck, I really don't remember all that many people. I met the Branson Bunny, for example, and Chip Robie and Matt Parkhouse, but I don't really remember anyone else. It was kind of overwhelming as it was my first bike rally (that's a long story as to why it was my first - ask me in a PM if you really want to hear the sordid details.)

I do know several area Beemer riders, so we probably have several acquaintances in common, but I usually ride alone, or occasionally with a friend.

If you happen to see a black Airhead R65 on the road with a small red lobster on the front fender, wave. That's me (there's also a small Masonic sticker just below the license plate). Here's a pic of my buddy with our bikes at Mt Washington (I was taking the picture :-( )

IM000066-small.JPG
[/url]

dwarven1

Nice R65.

What are you doing Labor Day Weekend? Some of us bikers get together up in Ripton (VT) in the National Forrest. It is Primitive Camping, though. No showers, but we do arrange for a Thunder Box (PortoLet). Meals are provided.

We ALSO go shooting at a local pit (Federal Property, so no problem) on that Sunday. I think an invite can be arranged.

You'll REALLY be able to corrupt your niece. I've got some NICE semi-auto's for her to try. An AK or SKS ought to fit a 16 year old about PERFECT.

TonyD said:
Did I see a 'still in the background of one of those pics?

Not unless you consider a "Thunder Box" (PortoLet) a still. There was a growler from Otter Creek Brewing that was being handled like a good old fashioned 'shine jug. I've never seen 'shine in a jug, though. Usually, I saw it in Tropicana bottles.

For reference, I'm the guy with the Dragunov in the upper picture, and the M14 in the lower one.

Nope, don't recognize any of them. But it does look like fun. One question, though... don't you get kind of funny looks while riding down the road with a rifle case on your bike?

Anyway, that might be a real nice weekend. I'd have to see about finding a tent, though... the only one I have left over from my SCA days is a monster that takes up a full duffle bag, and takes 2 people to set it up.

As for my niece... She went to the Lake Champlain Waldorf School, and is entering their high school in Charlotte in September. But she has friends who are going ot CVU, so she may well know your niece.

dwarven1 said:
One question, though... don't you get kind of funny looks while riding down the road with a rifle case on your bike?

In Vermont? Are you serious? Most folks up here would just ask what kind of gun it was, then reply "Nice". What were you thinking of bringing? I may have a duplicate or reasonable duplicate of it.

dwarven1 said:
Anyway, that might be a real nice weekend. I'd have to see about finding a tent, though... the only one I have left over from my SCA days is a monster that takes up a full duffle bag, and takes 2 people to set it up.

My tent is a Eureka Sunrise 11 (11 foot by 11 foot). It usually travels in the Jeep my wife brings, but I have taken it on the bike in a BIG duffel. I had a military cot (aluminum, a real one) and my sleeping bag in the duffle as well. I cheated on the chair, though, my daughter took that in her trailer. I could just barely see out of the edge of the mirrors.

Nickle said:
In Vermont? Are you serious? Most folks up here would just ask what kind of gun it was, then reply "Nice". What were you thinking of bringing? I may have a duplicate or reasonable duplicate of it.

Well, the only long arms I have are a 10/22 and a Mossberg 500, so I was just thinking of bringing the handguns. Besides, I owe my niece a session with the 9mm. :) So... my mouse gun (CZ75), the .45's, my PPK and the 686 will probably round it out. Don't see the need for the Charter Arms or the Mark 1.

Nickle said:
My tent is a Eureka Sunrise 11 (11 foot by 11 foot). It usually travels in the Jeep my wife brings, but I have taken it on the bike in a BIG duffel. I had a military cot (aluminum, a real one) and my sleeping bag in the duffle as well. I cheated on the chair, though, my daughter took that in her trailer. I could just barely see out of the edge of the mirrors.

When I get a chance, I'll have to scan in the pix of my Rhinebeck trip... boy, did I overload that poor R65. 8' dome tent, 2 sleeping pads, chair, sleeping bag... I went to Rhinebeck via the long way around; I went to Prattsburg, NY to visit a friend first.

I took the Mass Pike to the end, followed the back roads up to Troy, NY, then crossed the river and hit the Thruway at Albany. It took me 30 seconds to realize that I'd made a BIG mistake in loading the bike so heavily - the winds were tossing me around like crazy. I got off at the next exit and took Rt 20 across the state. Much more fun than the superslab!

Anyway, since my wife will probably not come, I'll have to bring whatever I want on the bike. Fortunately, the sleeping pad is a Thermarest - packs nice and small. Now I just have to order a Kermit chair...

dwarven1 said:
Well, the only long arms I have are a 10/22 and a Mossberg 500, so I was just thinking of bringing the handguns. Besides, I owe my niece a session with the 9mm. :) So... my mouse gun (CZ75), the .45's, my PPK and the 686 will probably round it out. Don't see the need for the Charter Arms or the Mark 1.

I usually bring my Winchester 190, so a 22 won't be a problem. The rest should pack into one of your saddlebags, no problem. There will be lots to shoot anyways. Most of the guns in the pictures were mine, so you can see a definite diversity to my "collection".

You were definitely right about going to Rhinebeck the LONG way.

Back
Top Bottom