Possibly moving to ri , some basic questions comparing ma and ri

I'm currently an ma resident with my ltc-a no restrictions. My wife and I are definitely selling our house and will be moving whenever it finally sells. We are pretty open to where we move and are considering some ri towns, mainly Lincoln, n. Smithfield or Cumberland. In reading ri laws it seems maybe a little easier to understand than ma laws but I just wanted to hear from people what their thoughts are between ma and ri.
If you had a choice, based solely in the firearms laws, which would you prefer and why?

From what I understand...
RI pros
No AWB
No mag limits
No handgun roster BS
Easier to buy firearms (blue card)

RI cons
waiting period
much harder to get a carry permit

Also, living in such a small state, you will probably find yourself back in MA often, If you do get a RI carry permit, you will also need a MA non resident LTC

Depending on what you're looking for, RI gun laws are less onerous than MA. As SJan pointed out, there's no AWB, mag limits, no handgun roster.

Possession of firearms does not require a license. Blue card is needed for buying handguns from a FFL, but it is very easy to get, and shall issue (similar to getting a hunter safety card). Long gun purchase does not require blue card. All firearm transfers require background check and FFL.

So if you are moving to RI, you can bring your guns with you, and keep them in your home, and go back and forth to the range without any licensing or permits. If you want to purchase a handgun from a dealer, just get a blue card through any FFL.

If you want to carry outside the house, you would need a permit. The situation is almost the same as MA, in that it depends on what town you are talking about. Some are easy ("green"), others are a no-go at this time. Permits are also available from the AG's office, but they are harder to get, and almost always restricted in some way.

One additional thing, if you have a town-issued permit, there is not waiting period on purchases.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
From what I understand...
RI pros
No AWB
No mag limits
No handgun roster BS
Easier to buy firearms (blue card)

RI cons
waiting period
much harder to get a carry permit

Also, living in such a small state, you will probably find yourself back in MA often, If you do get a RI carry permit, you will also need a MA non resident LTC

Bluecard is only to purchase a handgun
There is no waiting period if you have a town issues CCW permit.
Towns technically are "shall issue". Lincoln has been an issue in the past, check out rifol.org and you will get a town by town breakdown.

The only con in ri is no NFA firearms/supressors so no short barrel rifles/shotguns.

http://rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php

this ones a bit old but you can get an idea of the towns that issue ccw permits. all in all rhode island is a MUCH better place to live than mass as far as gun laws go.
enjoy your 40rd p mags . enjoy your glock pistols and enjoy buying ammo without a ltc :) welcome to ri

http://rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php

this ones a bit old but you can get an idea of the towns that issue ccw permits. all in all rhode island is a MUCH better place to live than mass as far as gun laws go.
enjoy your 40rd p mags . enjoy your glock pistols and enjoy buying ammo without a ltc :) welcome to ri

The only issue arises when you want to go shooting out of state, but you will be surprised the amount of ranges and firearm stores in the small state that doesn't make that an issue. I know of 5 stores and 4 ranges within 30 minutes away. There are even 300 yard ranges and some that one that plans on expanding to 500. There are some that have 24/7 indoor pistol access.

AFAIK all three above mentioned towns do NOT issue CCL. RI AG is another route, but again AFAIK Kilmartin is preparing a nasty surprise.

AFAIK all three above mentioned towns do NOT issue CCL. RI AG is another route, but again AFAIK Kilmartin is preparing a nasty surprise.
AFAIK all three towns in the OP have to abide by State law and have to issue permits if an applicant meets all requirements in RIGL 11-47-11.

You should definitely call all 3 PDs and explain them error of their ways. I had a "pleasure" talking last year with Cumberland PD chief Desmarais ( president of Chief assoc at that time) on the subject of Assoc uniformly wanting to get rid of permit issuance alltogether. Care to know how far my conversation went?

If you went a little further west into Burrilville, you may have an easier time getting a town issue permit.

If you went a little further west into Burrilville, you may have an easier time getting a town issue permit.

Does Burrilville issue non-resident permits? I know the law allows for it but does RI actually issue non-resident permits?

Does Burrilville issue non-resident permits? I know the law allows for it but does RI actually issue non-resident permits?
I don't have any actual experience with anyone getting a non-resident permit from Burrillville. However, refer to their application packet, page 3, item 2 where they refer to the statutory language about who is eligible to apply for a permit.

http://www.burrillville.org/Public_Documents/BurrillvilleRI_Police/REVISED%20GUN%20PERMIT%20APPLICATION%20FORM%20ON%209-17-2013.pdf

2. or, Any person 21 years of age or over, having a bona fide residence within
the United States and license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed
upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or sub-
division of the United States;

Depending on what you're looking for, RI gun laws are less onerous than MA. As SJan pointed out, there's no AWB, mag limits, no handgun roster.

Permits are also available from the AG's office, but they are harder to get, and almost always restricted in some way.

One additional thing, if you have a town-issued permit, there is not waiting period on purchases.

Hope that helps.

Be advised Last I knew Ma would not accept a town permit for a NR Mass permit
Dave

I'm currently an ma resident with my ltc-a no restrictions. My wife and I are definitely selling our house and will be moving whenever it finally sells. We are pretty open to where we move and are considering some ri towns, mainly Lincoln, n. Smithfield or Cumberland. In reading ri laws it seems maybe a little easier to understand than ma laws but I just wanted to hear from people what their thoughts are between ma and ri.
If you had a choice, based solely in the firearms laws, which would you prefer and why?

So I moved to Rhode island but still have I Massachusetts Id I dont have a FID but i can clear the background check my only question is can i buy a gun with a Massachusetts I'd? And could I just use a drivers license?

If you move to RI you will need to join a gun club to shoot and most are full. My club is in Manville/Lincoln and we have approximately a 2 year wait now. If you do move around there and want to join PM me and I'll sponsor you.

Apparently they "updated" our web page and it's lacking a lot.

http://www.msrgc.com/index.html
I moved to rhode island bit I still have a mass Id would I still be able to buy a gun? I can clear the background check I'm just not sure if they would allow it because It says i live in Massachusetts even though I live in east providence rhode island. Any answers would be much appreciated.

I moved to rhode island bit I still have a mass Id would I still be able to buy a gun? I can clear the background check I'm just not sure if they would allow it because It says i live in Massachusetts even though I live in east providence rhode island. Any answers would be much appreciated.

Just to be clear, you're asking if you can buy guns in RI with a Mass driver's license?

To buy a handgun in RI, you're going to need a "Blue Card" or a hunter's safety card or a RI town carry permit. So you need one of those before you can buy a handgun.

Let me get back to you about long guns. My gut instinct is no.

Get a RI driver's license.

To buy a handgun in RI, you're going to need a "Blue Card" or a hunter's safety card or a RI town carry permit. So you need one of those before you can buy a handgun.
You also need RI residency. I think an AG issued carry permit is accepted as well but, unlike the town permit, and AG permit does not exempt you from the waiting period. But, unlike the town permit, it does allow open carry. No, people generally do not get one of each as the town permit is good statewide.

I live in Mass and have a RI carry permit. Yes you can bring all your guns to RI and posses them in your home and travel to the range. Concerning the 3 possible towns of choice I would call Sven or Skye at Elite Indoor Pistol range, (401) 792-7000, in South Kingston they or one of their instructors should be able to answer questions about which town might be best. Elite is open to the public as well as having memberships. Nice place.

In 2017 the RI permit application required 3 letters of recommendation from non family members and you also have to sign a medical release for hospitals from Boston to RI including the Veterans Administration allowing them access to any treatment for any mental health issues. This is how they comply with there version of the Red Flag law.

Also you need to qualify with the largest caliber handgun at 25 yards getting a score of 190 or 195 on the Army A2 pistol target. Using 30 shots in 30 minutes. Basically everyone qualifies with a 1911. PM me if you have any questions.

Also you need to qualify with the largest caliber handgun at 25 yards getting a score of 190 or 195 on the Army A2 pistol target. Using 30 shots in 30 minutes. Basically everyone qualifies with a 1911. PM me if you have any questions.
I thought it was the Army-L target. Is my info out of date or are the A2 and L the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom