• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Possibly looking for new pistol

.40 isn't something I care too much about and I try to mostly buy 9mm handguns. However, I do have my eyes set on the G30 which everyone seems to love. I had a brand new 36 but found it to be too snappy and I didn't like how it was the only Glock that didn't have interchangeable parts. You didn't say what size gun you're looking for, so I assume it's a CCW. If you like bigger guns, the G21 is absolutely unbeatable. I'm not Glock fanboy and would recommend an SR9c to you, I love mine. The SR40c is another option too. And then there's the ultimate in handguns, SR1911.

@ ColdDayInHell it would be for CCW, and the only firearm I own at the moment is my SR9 and I absolutely love it.

Hell yeah, the SR series are unbelievably great guns for the money. The internals are almost identical to the Glock, except for the Ruger lift spring which you can only tell if you take it all apart. So the SR9 is just like the G17, which is why they run so well. It also has more character to it and that huge LCI flag. [rofl] I've learned to live with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the Glock 30/ 30SF, huge knockdown power is a subcompact frame. And why get a .40 when there are 9mm loads with almost the same energy.

Then get a Glock 19 and call it done. If you really must have .40, get a Glock 23.

This. My Gen4 G19 is the perfect balance in weight, recoil, and it carries damn good for a compact gun. Sure Glock gets a lot of hate sometimes, but they certainly deliver.

Glocks suck. Buy a Sig P229R in 40sw or a 1911. If you like the polymer frame guns, get a Springfield XD. I've owned Glocks and personally regard them as crap. After shooting a XD, you won't want to touch another Glock again. If you don't mind a slightly heavier pistol, go with the 229. I carried mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Couldn't ask for a nicer holster. And if you really want to go 45, go all the way and get a nice 1911. In my experience, S&W makes the best 1911's for the money and every shop worth walking into keeps them in stock.

Depends.. How do you carry? 4oclock, appendix? Do you spend a lot of time driving? Do you exercise?

Don't get me wrong.. I have love for 1911s but there is a reason that Glock is the most trusted handgun in the world.

Last edited:
I'd get the S&W M&P in either 9mm or .45acp

In the size that you prefer. Regular, Compact or SHIELD

I would NOT get the .40

And I would get the APEX trigger or a Trigger Job!

.45 is really a great round, arguably the best defensive handgun round available. Sure there are more powerful calibers available, but recoil becomes and issue. You can't go wrong with a good 1911, and it is surprisingly easy to conceal because it is so thin. 1911's are also inherently accurate due to design and long barrel and sight radius.

If you don't like the 1911 platform and still want a .45 it is tough to beat a Sig 220. They are as reliable as the sunrise and very accurate.

Personally, my favorite carry gun is my Sig 229 in .40 caliber. It conceals easily, eats anything and puts rounds where I want them. I replaced the factory grips with Houge rubber grips with finger grooves and it made a big difference in terms of felt recoil and control. YMMV

Step 1: Wait for everyone to name their favorite gun.
Step 2: Go to a rental range and be sure to shoot anything that shows up in this thread at least twice.
Step 3: Buy the gun that "talks" to you. Some of the guns will feel dead in your hand. Some will feel more natural. If you are lucky, one will feel like it was made for you and will shoot well. Buy that one!
Step 4: If it is the 1911 that speaks to you, come home before buying and do some research - there is a huge spectrum of quality and price in 1911s and you should do some digging before grabbing the first one you see to make sure you are finding the right balance between quality and cost for you.

Things that will help us put together a better list for you:

How big a gun are you willing and able to carry? This is influenced by your size, your wardrobe, and your daily activities.

Are your hands single or double stack in size?

Do you like an external safety or not?

Is frame material important to you?

Nicole +1

You don't have to spend a crap load on a 1911 but you also don't want the cheapest one. There's a few things you'd want for a target but not in a ccw 1911. So if you like the feel of the 1911 just read up a little on them.

I carry a 1911 my self. A Remington r1. I liked it better then most, because the thumb safety,slide release, grip safety are all of the smaller style. I don't have fat hands so I don't need to worry about hammer bite so I don't need the big beaver tail grip safety.

That said colddayinhell got me wanting a g30 mainly for summer carry. Dam you :).. Mainly so I can get away with different clothing .

Since I'm a smaller guy I carry at 2 o'clock or so . I can't really drive with it at 3 o'clock , and I'm "thin" front to back. so when I have it at 3 o'clock the grip sticks out behind me lol.

sy5e8a4y.jpg

If You do go for a 1911 & want a new one. I personally would buy the RUGER 1911

In my opinion it is the best 1911 made for under $1000 bucks PERIOD!

I have talked with many gunsmiths who agree....

Fine, I'll throw out another one:

HnK USP series either .40 or .45. I put my duty carry gun through the toughest conditions this side of an active combat zone. I rode ATV's in the desert and even after a week without cleaning my HnK would still work. If I posted pictures of what it looked like I'd get a lifetime ban for letting my gun get in that condition. But it was a test to see what the gun could handle and it took it like a champ. I can consistently hit a large steel popper at 100 yards with it. It is simply a great gun so far.

If I needed another gun and cost wasn't an issue, I'd get one. I kick myself for not getting one when we had a side purchase program and could have gotten the gun for $600 set up like our duty carry.

Fine, I'll throw out another one:

HnK USP series either .40 or .45. I put my duty carry gun through the toughest conditions this side of an active combat zone.

I have to disagree. He wants the gun as a carry gun, and the fullsize USP is just huge. I have an HK USPc .45. I sold an HK USPc in .40. They are overly large, particularly the slide. They are reliable and accurate, but a Glock 23 is a heck of a lot smaller than a USPc .40 and thus easier to conceal. The SA trigger on the USPc is OK, but the DA trigger is just horrid.

i too will throw out another suggestion. try a ruger p345. great all around gun and is a good ccw. its way better than any .40 made as it is a hard hitting round imho.

bob

Ruger is making some amazing guns... SR9c, or SR40c is an excellent option... I'm on the waiting list for the SR1911... That thing is selling faster then they can make it!!!

If you're just trying to waste money stick with a .45, at least that way when you go to sell it it'll be easier to sell. Everyone and their brothers uncle has a .40...

-Mike

My vote for an all around gun that you can carry concealed and actually use at the range would be the Glock 19. Pre-ban mags are readily available and they shoot great. I would stay away from .40 unless you are already dedicated to this caliber for one reason or another. I personally have no use for anything in .40 and if 9mm won't do the job for me i'll move to .357SIG before I touch a .40. Personally I carry a G19 most of the year and switch the slide and necessary other bits over to .357SIG for winter carry (making it essentially a G32).

If you want to move to .45 then i'd go with a Glock 30/30SF. Again they shoot great and pre-ban G21 mags are easy to get if you need the extra capacity.

Also you'd be amazed what you can conceal with the PROPER holster and attire. I'm a little guy at only 5'8" and barely 130 wet wearing wool and I can conceal a Glock 21 in a raven holster all day long and no one would ever know provided i'm wearing more than a t-shirt or polo to cover it up. The proper holster is key!

Just my $0.02 so YMMV.

Last edited:
Ruger is making some amazing guns... SR9c, or SR40c is an excellent option... I'm on the waiting list for the SR1911... That thing is selling faster then they can make it!!!

Yep, I have the SR series pretty well represented in my collection with the SR22, SR9c, and SR1911.

I run two CCW guns.

PPS 9mm Non MA trigger in Summer or when CCW clothing is tight
Hk45c LEM trigger rest of time

Love both and never had any issues on range during practice with either

I run two CCW guns.

PPS 9mm Non MA trigger in Summer or when CCW clothing is tight
Hk45c LEM trigger rest of time

Love both and never had any issues on range during practice with either

How is the HK45c to conceal? looks a little too thick but has some rave reviews...

My vote for an all around gun that you can carry concealed and actually use at the range would be the Glock 19. Pre-ban mags are readily available and they shoot great.

If you want to move to .45 then i'd go with a Glock 30/30SF. Again they shoot great and pre-ban G21 mags are easy to get if you need the extra capacity.

Also you'd be amazed what you can conceal with the PROPER holster and attire. I'm a little guy at only 5'8" and barely 130 wet wearing wool and I can conceal a Glock 21 in a raven holster all day long and no one would ever know provided i'm wearing more than a t-shirt or polo to cover it up. The proper holster is key!

Just my $0.02 so YMMV.

Proper holster is key.. Yes it is. Personally I prefer appendix iwb and doing do makes even a full framed Glock 17 disappear, even while wearing a t-shirt or polo.

My vote for an all around gun that you can carry concealed and actually use at the range would be the Glock 19. Pre-ban mags are readily available and they shoot great.

Also you'd be amazed what you can conceal with the PROPER holster and attire. I'm a little guy at only 5'8" and barely 130 wet wearing wool and I can conceal a Glock 21 in a raven holster all day long and no one would ever know provided i'm wearing more than a t-shirt or polo to cover it up. The proper holster is.

Im considering a G19 as a CCW what is yr exp with it at a cross draw 11 am position Im worried abt the size but if yu like it it might be ok for me Im 6'2" and 230

I shoot a G17 and really like it, I shot the 19 does not seem very different

what kinds of holsters?

Just my $0.02 so YMMV.

Proper holster is key.. Yes it is. Personally I prefer appendix iwb and doing so makes even a full framed Glock 17 disappear, even while wearing a t-shirt or polo.

AIWB is definitely a better choice, especially in the summer months when you wear less/lighter clothing. It is right there and printing is very minimal.

Though it is not my personal favorite, though it was the first gun I bought for myself, the Glock 19 is a great mix of firepower and size. At that point you can decide if you want to stay with the compact or go up/down in size.

Since no one else has said this ............ become a GREEN member here and visit a member shoot event. Bring some .40 and .45 ammo with you and many members will be more than happy to let you squeeze off a few rounds. Also there are places like the manchester firing line and Bobs Original in Salisbury they allow you to Rent different firearms for reasonable prices. You don't buy a car without test driving... right!

Im considering a G19 as a CCW what is yr exp with it at a cross draw 11 am position Im worried abt the size but if yu like it it might be ok for me Im 6'2" and 230

I shoot a G17 and really like it, I shot the 19 does not seem very different

what kinds of holsters?

I am 5'9, 170lbs.

I have not had exp with cross draw as I prefer to keep my primary on my strong side.

You want to make sure it rides low enough to no be in front of your stomach, while still allowing for a proper draw.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351136817.736609.jpg

Mine is a custom chop job but Galco makes some good, cheap ones and some nice leather ones for 50-90$. High Noon also gets a +1. But it really depends on what you want. Leather or kydex, center clip, offset clip, j-hook,no cant or slight cant, there are a lot of things to consider.

I am 5'9, 170lbs.

I have not had exp with cross draw as I prefer to keep my primary on my strong side.

You want to make sure it rides low enough to no be in front of your stomach, while still allowing for a proper draw.

View attachment 42816

Mine is a custom chop job but Galco makes some good, cheap ones and some nice leather ones for 50-90$. High Noon also gets a +1. But it really depends on what you want. Leather or kydex, center clip, offset clip, j-hook,no cant or slight cant, there are a lot of things to consider.

thxs and BTW the Boyton[wink]

Back
Top Bottom