Possible Sticky to cover the "What if" questions?

About once a week there are threads started by people that need simple answers to seemingly complex questions/situations.

Depending on the mood of NES'ers, the OP can be helped out with a few responses or gets trashed.

We have a search feature as well as law forums, I know, but there have been times that I have used them to find a certain thread or possible answer to a question and I've either come up blank, or it's taken 20 min to sort through all the other threads that have nothing to do with my query.

We have Sticky's at top for a reason. They generally provide information that people got tired of having to post repeatedly. They also help people find valuable information quickly without taking a lot of time to do so.

I don't know the logistics of how to put one together, but I do think that it would be a good idea.
I know that if I didn't have a thick skin, then I would have wrote this site off a while ago due to some of the flame-jobs from people that are frustrated answering seemingly simple questions.

I understand that it's frustrating to see the same Q's over again, also seeing that someone didn't try doing the legwork and FIND their answer. I get it...but what I WILL NEVER GET is the level of rudeness that is thrown at these people. We need more of us, not less; a kind point in the right direction goes a long way.
For some members here, I know that being nice just isn't an option: you've been too annoyed by the question....now you could just say "See Sticky". It may cut down on the need to even have to say that.

Alot of the members here are more knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be when it comes to gun laws/firearm rosters/MA BS, and unfortunately there is no mistake that you can make that won't put your MA LTC in jeopardy. This knowledge is pure gold to me, as well as any newbie searching for an answer. We should all have the goal to try to educate and keep the amount of licenses GROWING in MA and surrounding states. (I understand I put the emphasis on MA, but apparently the other NE states are more cut/dry)

Not sure how to get this started. I'm guessing if we could think of the most common Q's, pm them to someone, then compile and post as a sticky? I would be willing to do it, I just haven't ever posted in any other format than this: so it'd be plain jain text.

What would you guys think about doing something like this? I'm all for having people finding their own answer, this would just put more of the answers in one place.

Lots of the commonly asked questions are already answered in stickies (especially in the Gun Laws fora). People don't read them before asking their "Why-can't-I-buy-a-Kimber-in-Mass?" questions.

Ok. How about I then compile into a mega-sticky that is in all forums?

I want there to be no excuse for people to have to ask "dumb" Q's. If there were one sticky to rule them all.....

I'm not trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If there are good reasons for not doing it, I'll be fine with it

Your idea still assumes that people will read stickies.

Good point, that's usually the reason we get "dumb" questions. Perhaps we have too many already? What if there was just 1, with a table of contents and sections? Upon registering, a person gets an automated e-mail to read it. Doesn't force members to, but if they are told it holds most FAQ's....it just might

I'm no hippy, and I'm not under any illusions that we can all be best friends.

My concern is just making NES as friendly as it can be, as it should be.

Ok. How about I then compile into a mega-sticky that is in all forums?

I want there to be no excuse for people to have to ask "dumb" Q's. If there were one sticky to rule them all.....

I'm not trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If there are good reasons for not doing it, I'll be fine with it

What makes you think they're going to read your sticky, if they're (obviously) not reading any of
the existing ones that address the problem/questions you're talking about?

[rofl]

People are lazy. Making more reference material to somehow, make them non-lazy, is an exercise in futility.

-Mike

What makes you think they're going to read your sticky, if they're (obviously) not reading any of

[rofl]

People are lazy. Making more reference material to somehow, make them non-lazy, is an exercise in futility.

-Mike

How about a sticky reminding everyone to read the sticky about reading the stickies...Can we get a sticky? [smile]

Good point, that's usually the reason we get "dumb" questions. Perhaps we have too many already? What if there was just 1, with a table of contents and sections? Upon registering, a person gets an automated e-mail to read it. Doesn't force members to, but if they are told it holds most FAQ's....it just might

I understand what you are trying to do, but doubt that it is practical. Here's why:

1. Your "mega-sticky" would be massive. I doubt it would be read.

2. The main problem is that people make NO effort to actually look for an answer. Being lazy, they just post yet another repetition of an oft-asked question, expecting the answer to be spoon-fed to them.

Then they get whiny when the obvious place to find that answer is brought to their attention, followed by half a dozen enablers making excuses for the OP's sloth on the grounds that we are creating a hostile environment/scaring off newbies/generating bad karma/singing "Kumbaya" out of tune, etc.

PART of the problem is that the SEARCH function is clunky and, often, just does not work. Give those who DO look first the tools to find their answer. The leeches don't deserve coddling.

[rofl]

-Mike

I just looked at the general discussion forum and read the sticky titles. I also read the "read before posting" section again. Then there's the "equipment" section with the sticky about dry-firing Glocks....

I want to get all this in one, easy to navigate format

Thank you Scriv for constructive criticism. It would be big. You also hit the nail on the head about the search feature. If it didn't include classified ads when I'm asking a Q about a topic, would certainly help.

I really don't want to coddle the drive-by members who are looking for a one night stand of instant knowledge/feedback. I just want to make it simpler. Is there a way to realistically do it is my main question

In the early days of the forum, we wrote tons of stickies to help people with commonly asked questions, info, etc.

As has been pointed out above:

- People are inherently lazy and don't bother to look at stickies at all.
- The search mechanism in vBulletin sucks [thinking] , frustrates users and they just "give up" and post another "same question".
- People have complained that there are too many stickies (a page or more worth) in a forum! [thinking]
- Reading something that scrolls for many pages online is a PITA to read and most won't bother after the first screen or two. So a "massive" sticky is self-defeating.
- At first I felt "obligated" to answer all the legal questions on NES. It drove me to be less than polite with some users as it tended to consume much of my days. Eventually events occurred to give me some perspective on what's important and I realized that I am NOT obligated to answer the same question over and over again. I can now ignore poorly worded questions, anything that I personally think is dumb, or anything I don't feel like answering . . . and I'm not insulting anyone, not pissing anyone off, and not aggravating myself. It's a piece of advice that I learned the hard way and shared with all the Mods here on NES. It might be wroth trying for some of the other folks here as well.

Carry on! [wink]

I have the best solution. Add a forum simply called "dumb questions". Let people ask whatever they want as many times as they want and those who want to help can help. Those that have the uncontrollable urge to be an ass hole can show some restraint and move on without comment or better yet, never enter the forum. I personally don't mind answering the same question several times for several different people so long as it helps. Being part of the solution is much more gratifying than being part of the problem.

If someone is asking a "dumb" question it's likely that they are new. If they are new they probably have no idea how to use the search function. Make the ONLY sticky in the "dumb question" forum directions on how to search and where to look based on the subject of their question (for example, if your question is about MA law, look at the stickies in the MGL section as well as searching).

To me the problem doesn't seem to be the dumb questions, it's the ass holes who's world revolves around unloading on the new guy for no reason other than flexing their internet muscle.

I have the best solution. Add a forum simply called "dumb questions".

And what makes you think people who don't use SEARCH, read the stickies, or even enough of the forum to find the relevant section for their redundant questions will use your feature any more than they DON'T use the existing ones?

Maybe some people just want to get their post count up and by using the stickies their post count stays the same.

Both LenS and Scriv have driven home the fact that it would be very large. I've been thinking about it as I've been out with the GF doing her errands.
It's turning out to be quite the utopian idea. I've been trying to figure out what is driving me to want to change the way things are. Is it because it's broken, or do I just wish people weren't as rude?
I like MXD's idea, but I also see what Scriv is saying regarding it.

I just wish there was a better way of finding out answers to questions/scenarios that are unclear that don't require starting a new thread. I thought a mega-sticky would do the trick

And what makes you think people who don't use SEARCH, read the stickies, or even enough of the forum to find the relevant section for their redundant questions will use your feature any more than they DON'T use the existing ones?

Every time a mod sees a question that belongs in the "dumb Question" forum, they move it. Hopefully it will catch on.

for those of you who don't like to repeat yourselves, here is what i did on another forum where i knew enough to actually help out. I made up a "word / word perfect" page with answers to the usual repeat questions, then when they were asked i just copied and pasted the answers. saves time and typing.

I should do that here.

Every time a mod sees a question that belongs in the "dumb Question" forum, they move it. Hopefully it will catch on.

That MIGHT work.

Maybe.

Never underestimate the power of the terminally obtuse and willfully inert.

Until you are a Mod on a high-activity forum, you have NO idea how much work and how big a PITA doing that thankless job is. Moving threads is a real time-consumer and I seriously doubt that the Mods here will appreciate the added work load!! [thinking]

I think lots of first time users come here because they have a specific question about guns, and want an immediate answer.

Either they're moving, buying a first gun, concerned about inheritance, buying a gun out of state, etc., and they come here hoping to ask a question and get it answered.

They're often not interested in joining anything or doing research. They just want their specific question answered.

I doubt they'll read stickies unless directed to do so to get a response.

I suspect a high number of these never come back after getting their question(s) answered until they have the next question.

I'm not sure what can be done about these users. Hoping we can get them interested and have them decide to stay, is an idealistic objective but I'm not sure that it's realistic.

Well I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I think I've had enough time to think about it, and collectively you guys are right. Nothing you can do to cure those in need of a quick fix.
What we already have leads them to water, but it will never make them drink.

I appreciate the input on the matter. Thanks

Well I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I think I've had enough time to think about it, and collectively you guys are right. Nothing you can do to cure those in need of a quick fix.
What we already have leads them to water, but it will never make them drink.

I appreciate the input on the matter. Thanks

Don't be disappointed, your idea was legitimate and a good one.

Back
Top Bottom