Possession of stolen firearm, $500 bail

well you can thank the courts that have ruled bail can not be usury or punitive, so all you have to do is say "eyez gots know moneeeee" and you are out on PR or low bail.

Bail used to be set to an amount fitting the crime and to assure you showed up.

This is how so many foreign visitors to our shore flee, they have their real passport stashed away, they make bail and then beat feet to JFK airport ... 500 dollars is a small price to avoid jail.

The kid tells police that he stole the gun from his uncle's home in Beverly and the uncle says he left it at his nephew's residence when he lived there for a month. [bs2]

It sounds like it was the guns fault. Twice, the Author of the article stated that the 19 year old was arrested for possession of an unlicensed firearm. If the firearm had a license then the kid wouldn't be in any trouble.

Compare and contrast the treatment of this kid with how MA jacks up people from VT, NH, and ME that don't realize they need to have a license just to keep an unloaded firearm locked in the trunk of their car.

It sounds like it was the guns fault. Twice, the Author of the article stated that the 19 year old was arrested for possession of an unlicensed firearm. If the firearm had a license then the kid wouldn't be in any trouble.

Poorly written article, obviously spewed by someone who has no clue about guns or Mass gun laws, so it was a typical leftist reporter.

Compare and contrast the treatment of this kid with how MA jacks up people from VT, NH, and ME that don't realize they need to have a license just to keep an unloaded firearm locked in the trunk of their car.

It's worth noting though that if that actually happens, -in that specific way- it's pretty rare. Most of the ones I've read about are nowhere near "unloaded locked in the trunk of the car". It's loaded guns under the seat, in the console, etc, or like that kid with the 50BMG necklace, a pile of unloaded stuff in the back seat just laying around unsecured. Most of the people arrested for unlawful possession from an MV stop, there's no search resistance on any of it, or very little. Like with the kid I just mentioned, the cop could see his stuff just by looking in the car after he stopped him. As a point of contrast, when's the last time you heard of someone arrested for unlawful possession for a gun that was locked in a container in MA? Not saying the police can't do it, but there's more flaming hoops they have to jump through to search things like that, especially if the driver doesn't consent. Then again these days 4A protections ultimately only seem to go as far as your counsel can protect you / you can afford...

-Mike

Poorly written article, obviously spewed by someone who has no clue about guns or Mass gun laws, so it was a typical leftist reporter.
I agree, What I don't really understand is

Later, a witness approached police with a semi-automatic handgun, holster and loaded magazine. The witness told police that she found the gun under a mattress, after other witnesses at the party said they saw Hannon run into the bedroom, unload the gun, and place it there, according to the police report.

And
Upon moving back to Beverly in early July, the man said he left behind some possessions, including the firearm, which he said was secured in a locked gun bag with a barrel lock secured to it.

So, he ran in the bedroom with alll these witnesses to hide the gun.......
It was in a locked gun bag with a barrel lock.

So, there was a mag loaded with ammo. Did the owner lock the gun up with a loaded mag? Doesn't make sense if the above statement was true.

Back
Top Bottom