• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Possession of a pellet rifle

richc

NES Member
I know in MA there are no licensing requirements for pellet guns. However there is an age requirement of 18... I believe.

My son is 17 and has an FID card. I believe he can legally carry a low cap rifle or shotgun, properly secured, in the trunk of a vehicle to the range. Is this correct?

Am I also correct in saying he would not be legally able to do the same with a pellet rifle? That his FID card has no standing with regards to the Gamo pellet rifle?

If my thought process is correct, that means my 17 year old son is legally able to carry a .308 bolt action rifle or 12 gauge shotgun in the trunk, but not a pellet gun.

Can anyone poke holes in my logic? FYI the reason I am asking is because he received a pellet rifle for his birthday.

Thanks,

Rich

Chapter 269: Section 12B. Air rifles; possession by minors; shooting

Section 12B. No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession.

I don't know if an FID would constitute a "permit" - as you correctly point out, because an air rifle isn't considered a gun for licensing purposes the FID may not apply.

I believe 18 is the age requirment for purchasing the pellet gun not use or possesion.
Not true according to MGL C269 S12b.
No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession.

I know in MA there are no licensing requirements for pellet guns. However there is an age requirement of 18... I believe.

My son is 17 and has an FID card. I believe he can legally carry a low cap rifle or shotgun, properly secured, in the trunk of a vehicle to the range. Is this correct?
Unloaded. This appears to be one of those things that is permitted because it is not prohibited.

Am I also correct in saying he would not be legally able to do the same with a pellet rifle? That his FID card has no standing with regards to the Gamo pellet rifle?

If my thought process is correct, that means my 17 year old son is legally able to carry a .308 bolt action rifle or 12 gauge shotgun in the trunk, but not a pellet gun.
Apparently true, unless he has a hunting or sporting license and a permit from the COP (see above). Like many MA laws this makes obviously no sense.

Non-large capacity rifles/shotguns need only to be unloaded for transport, and require a minimum of a trigger lock for storage in a vehicle. However, applying the stricter standard for transportation/storage of large capacity firearms ("contained within a locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container") would be prudent.

Not true according to MGL C269 S12b.

Unloaded. This appears to be one of those things that is permitted because it is not prohibited.

Apparently true, unless he has a hunting or sporting license and a permit from the COP (see above). Like many MA laws this makes obviously no sense.
Since the FID is a gun permit issued by the chief, it looks like your son might be legally OK. At one time, not so long ago, you DID need a FID for an air rifle and a LTC for an air pistol. The authors of Chapter 180, in their zeal to ban semi-auto high-capacity "assault weapons", seem to have forgotten all about air guns.

Some sort of sideways questions to ask on this topic- can adults legally obtain mail order air guns in MA? Are full-auto air pellet guns legal? Are suppresors MA legal on air guns?

Some sort of sideways questions to ask on this topic- can adults legally obtain mail order air guns in MA? Are full-auto air pellet guns legal? Are suppresors MA legal on air guns?

As far as I know, air rifles aren't regulated in this state except for the 18+ age requirement. Since they aren't classified as rifles/firearms (except in MGL 269-10j) there should be no problems having them shipped to MA; there are many many companies who will do so. Full auto pellet guns are just as legal as full auto airsoft guns.

my son is absolutely jonesing over this gun:

MP-661K-Page.jpg

And apparently it can be equipped with a supressor for even quieter operation. Since it isn't technically a firearm, I figured it was available and OK to own, but in this god-forsaken state I wasn't sure.

Watch out on any suppressor however, BATFE has taken a new stand wrt suppressors, even fake ones (e.g. GSG-5 issue) that could get one in trouble.

GAMO co. is selling a pellet gun in Ma. , in stores including Dicks I believe with a built in Suppressor , and labeled as such. Interesting to see if they get hassled.

Yup, the call it the "whisper" series.

pyramidair.com is a great online resource for all things air. If you go there check out the .45 and .50 cal, wow! IIRC the .45 can get up to 730FPS, pretty powerful stuff for an air gun

My understanding, is that the Whisper air gun has the supressor attached to bypass any concern that it might be detached and modified to use on a true firearm. I'd be wary of any detachable supressors...

Not as I read it. According to the MGLs (mostly Chapter 131 Sections 11-18) a hunting or sporting license is not an FID. For example, this section indicates the conditions under which a minor 15 to 17 may receive a hunting or sporting license which are different from the conditions for a minor of the same age to receive an FID.
If he has an FID (which the OP indicated he does) and is in possession of real firearms, an officer will not care about an air rifle. First of all, if he is carrying the guns unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car, the chances of him even having contact with a LEO is slim to none. LEOs will ask for a FID or LTC. He presents it and he will be fine. For added good measure, have him install a trigger lock on the air rifle during transportation. Second, if the father is afraid that his son might get hassled for the air rifle, then have him apply for a MA S1 sporting license. Since the FID is good for 6 years and the S1 is good for a year, he will be covered until he reaches the age of 18.

We tested out the Gamo Whisper Socom Tactical last night. Here's an interesting tidbit.

First we tried Raptor pellets that came with the rifle. These claim to shoot at 1200 fps. It was as loud as a .22. Not much of a "whisper".

Then we tried some pure lead pellets. They were relatively quiet, especially as compared to the Raptor pellets. The difference is the lead pellets are subsonic, traveling at 1000 fps. You lose the crack of going supersonic.

There was a remarkable difference in noise levels.

Best,

Rich

I'm not so much worried about the consequences as pointing out what I thought was an interesting paradox in the laws. A 17 year old with an FID card can lawfully transport a high powered rifle, ammunition or a 12 gauge shotgun but is not legally able to transport a pellet gun.

I would trust that most LEO's would also see the absurdity of this and not waste their time, and the reputation of a young man with a clean record, over something this silly.

Thanks,

Rich

If he has an FID (which the OP indicated he does) and is in possession of real firearms, an officer will not care about an air rifle. First of all, if he is carrying the guns unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car, the chances of him even having contact with a LEO is slim to none. LEOs will ask for a FID or LTC. He presents it and he will be fine. For added good measure, have him install a trigger lock on the air rifle during transportation. Second, if the father is afraid that his son might get hassled for the air rifle, then have him apply for a MA S1 sporting license. Since the FID is good for 6 years and the S1 is good for a year, he will be covered until he reaches the age of 18.

About 20 years ago in NYS a friend got his car searched and he had a 10/22 and a wrist braced slingshot in the trunk. He got a weapons charge for the wrist braced slingshot the rifle was legal. Fortunately it never amounted to anything, not sure if it got plead down or a good word was put in by an LEO. At the time slingshots were legal but not wrist braced ones.

About 20 years ago in NYS a friend got his car searched and he had a 10/22 and a wrist braced slingshot in the trunk. He got a weapons charge for the wrist braced slingshot the rifle was legal. Fortunately it never amounted to anything, not sure if it got plead down or a good word was put in by an LEO. At the time slingshots were legal but not wrist braced ones.

That's what I'm talking about... the absurdity of some things.

I don't know if an FID would constitute a "permit" - as you correctly point out, because an air rifle isn't considered a gun for licensing purposes the FID may not apply.

Since the FID is a gun permit issued by the chief, it looks like your son might be legally OK. At one time, not so long ago, you DID need a FID for an air rifle and a LTC for an air pistol. The authors of Chapter 180, in their zeal to ban semi-auto high-capacity "assault weapons", seem to have forgotten all about air guns.

Not as I read it. According to the MGLs (mostly Chapter 131 Sections 11-18) a hunting or sporting license is not an FID. For example, this section indicates the conditions under which a minor 15 to 17 may receive a hunting or sporting license which are different from the conditions for a minor of the same age to receive an FID.

I had a discussion with a friend, who also happens to be a licensing officer, about this issue today.

The "sporting license" referred to is actually the combo fishing & hunting license issued for those activities, NOT an FID card.

We concluded that this appears to be an "artifact" that was overlooked when Ch. 140 was totally re-written. I don't think that anyone looked at Ch. 269 S. 12B when they drafted "Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998".

We couldn't come to a conclusion that every LEO would give the kid a "pass" with just an FID card . . . that would be a logical outcome, but not everything in the world of firearms is logical.

Back
Top Bottom