Possessing gun is illegal in Ct but legal in Maine

Hey guys,
I'm 20 years old and live in Maine. In Maine I can legally possess a handgun, and I do. The problem is I'm going to be living in CT for a while but my place of residence will still be Maine. I don't have a license to carry in Maine and I'm not looking to carry in Connecticut I just want to have it with me in my apartment for protection. Am I SOL since I'm not of legal age to possess in CT?

I dont know where you are getting your info, but Federal Law says 21 years old to buy a handgun or handgun ammo. 18 years old you can buy a long gun. Is the pistol in your name that you bought it? I would double check details before posting any more about this. Just a suggestion.

MY bad, MLABoss is correct re/ possession. I always looked at is as a purchase.

Last edited:
I wish people wouldn't propagate misinformation.

Federal law requires you to be 21 only to get a handgun at an FFL. Most states allow possession and ownership as long as you're 18. 18 year olds can buy handguns in private sales or receive then as gifts.

Hey guys,
I'm 20 years old and live in Maine. In Maine I can legally possess a handgun, and I do. The problem is I'm going to be living in CT for a while but my place of residence will still be Maine. I don't have a license to carry in Maine and I'm not looking to carry in Connecticut I just want to have it with me in my apartment for protection. Am I SOL since I'm not of legal age to possess in CT?

From this link: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616

"No person may obtain a Pistol Permit, Eligibility Certificate, or possess any handguns if they are less than 21 years of age, subject to a Protective or Restraining Order, or if they have been convicted of a felony, or convicted in Connecticut of any of the following misdemeanors:"

You're under 21, you can't have a handgun in Connecticut...

Seems to me once we have all expressed our moral outrage over this egregious violation of young and confused, unless he wants to risk getting involved in a major legal hassle which could jeopardize future gun ownership, maybe the best thing is simply leave the gun in Maine for now. He is not going to be in Connecticut forever and it would appear that if he were in possession of the gun in the Nutmeg State he would be breaking the law. It is not a question of whether it is a good law or a bad law, but whether:

A. You encourage violating the law on an open Internet forum, read by anyone and everyone.

B. Is it worth the risk being caught, arrested and prosecuted and does the young man have the financial resources to fight this and more importantly what are the odds of actually prevailing?

There are times and places to take risks and fight battles. This does not appear to be one of them. Prudence and patience, eventually you will age out OP or return to Maine and problem solved. It's not forever and given the anti-gun climate in Connecticut these days hardly worth the aggravation or the risk.

Mark - I have no problem encouraging people to break unjust laws. As long as they know the risk and have the financial means to defend themselves.

Given that the OP is 20 years old, I'd suggest he just leave the handgun home until he turns 21.

I'd also suggest that if he's going to be in CT for more than a year, he get a RESIDENT pistol permit. If he's making a home in CT, he is a resident. You can be a resident of many states. In this case he is DOMICILED in Maine, but is a resident of CT when he is there.

One other thing for the OP. You CAN possess a long gun, as long as its in compliance with the AWB. You can even carry a long gun with you in your car. As long as its not loaded. You can have a loaded mag. It just can't be in the gun.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-205.htm

In fact, there aren't really any restrictions over what you can or can't do with a long gun. You just can't buy one unless you have a PP or long gun certificate. But you can posses one.

Don

Back
Top Bottom