• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Positive respones from state Reps

E-mailed all my reps after already sending letters yesterday before I had heard about the 7 round mag limit. So far just an auto-email response from Sen. Keenan.

Shaunna O'connell is a pretty straight women. Rare in Mass. politics I believe she will do what is right. I have sent letters to Straus, Rodericks and Keating. At this time no responses. I don't really expect any!

Gobi, Anne - Rep. (HOU)
12:32 PM

Thanks for the email ######. There are a number of people who use tragedy for a platform to grandstand. I expect a number of bills to be proposed this session. I have been a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment and have an A+ rating from GOAL. I am also the co-chair of the Sportsmen's Caucus that I started last year. As co-chair I am organizing a meeting to have Jim Wallace from GOAL as well as a member of the Department of Public Safety to give all legislators a presentation on current firearms laws in Massachusetts. I don't think my colleagues understand what is already on the books. I am hoping that this will help to diffuse some of the knee jerk reactions.

I welcome your comments.

Take care
Anne Gobi

This is my first post. I will be going green today and donating to Com 2A. This has me fired up. I have never emailed a legislator in my life but cant sit idle any longer. Below is my letter to Rep Dwyer. I used some good info here (Ruger and knowledgeable members) to piece it together. I will let you know the response I receive

Hello Representative Dwyer,

I am writing to you today to voice my concern over Governor Patrick's proposed gun laws in his State of the Commonwealth address last night. I am a 39 year old professional raising a family in Woburn. I want to acknowledge that I am not a current owner nor have I ever owned a firearm of any kind. I am just a concerned citizen who has witnessed our constitutional rights as citizens become eroded.

As a life long resident of Massachusetts, I was afraid that what Governor Coumo pushed through in New York would quickly be copied in states like Massachusetts. The New York Law was done without a proper and public hearing. We are all saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on lawful and responsible owners are misguided. Violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004. In addition, the recent mass shooting was a very high profile yet very rare event, and should not be the basis for a series of new laws based on an emotional response.

Virtually all gun crime in this country has been committed by people who are already ineligible to possess guns. Further restrictions on what is legal to own would have no effect on the crime rate. Massachusetts has existing laws which are not being enforced (Bartley Fox) and the Governor's proposed changes would outlaw a huge percentage of the legally owned guns in the state, while having no impact on violent assaults.

I believe your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Best Regards,

That's Great!

Gobi, Anne - Rep. (HOU)

Thanks for the email ######. There are a number of people who use tragedy for a platform to grandstand. I expect a number of bills to be proposed this session. I have been a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment and have an A+ rating from GOAL. I am also the co-chair of the Sportsmen's Caucus that I started last year. As co-chair I am organizing a meeting to have Jim Wallace from GOAL as well as a member of the Department of Public Safety to give all legislators a presentation on current firearms laws in Massachusetts. I don't think my colleagues understand what is already on the books. I am hoping that this will help to diffuse some of the knee jerk reactions.

I welcome your comments.

Take care
Anne Gobi
this is the best response I have read

Gobi, Anne - Rep. (HOU)

I welcome your comments.

Take care
Anne Gobi

They need more than just one presentation.

But this is at least positive news.

I've emailed and called them. I got a positive response from Rep. Randy Hunt.

A canned email from the governor, what you'd expect.

No response from the others, they have VM, messages taken down by whomever answered, and email.

I was polite, brief, and to the point in each case. The emails I sent were my own words.

Listening to music on hold for Senator Moore

No Senator Moore however his aide says he is pro 2A and doesn't agree with some of the items on the proposal (mmmm). They apparently have drafted an official response that will be emailed to me. As for State Rep Fernandes, well both him and his aide aren't available. I've emailed and left a voice mail....

Talked to Ferguson's aide who said she always votes for 2a rights. Called and left a message for Zlotnik.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,

This is what I sent to Senator Moore and Rep. Kuros last night after watching our Governor display his economic and Constitutional legal prowess on television. I admit, this is my first direct reach out to a politician in quite some time other than giving financial support when needed.

Good evening Senator Moore and hope all is well, (version for Kuros is the same)

I've just listened to our Governors State of State Address as well as gone through his upcoming legislation for the state of Massachusetts in regards to changes to our current firearms laws. To say I'm deeply concerned at this point would be an understatement based on what I understand.

Within the newly proposed language of the Governors Bill is to classify magazines that I currently own and have paid for with my legal income illegal within the state of Massachusetts. I'm deeply disturbed with the proposed change to the language to basically un-grandfather firearm magazines and potentially the rifle/pistols themselves that I have legally purchased in the state of Massachusetts according to our current laws.

This needs to be rectified. If the Governor wants to classify firearms and magazines going forward as unacceptable to the State of Massachusetts I can understand that. I do not accept the legality of it based on the Constitutional 2nd Amendment but I am also a firm believer in States Rights over the Federal Government. Any legislation that does not grandfather in existing owners is an absolute failure in my mind.

I was born in Massachusetts, attended school in this state and now raise a family here as well. I am a Vice President of a major Technology Analyst Firm in the Commonwealth but am now considering leaving the state I called home for over four decades. Our current political class has forgotten their founding and in doing so classified law abiding citizens who believe in firearms as segment that can be demonized and marginalized for political gain. I will not have it.

My appeal to you this evening will be one of my last. My wife and I who currently raise two daughters now face a crisis of conscience. We have taught our young girls about our state and country and the great things they have done in history. We have also taught them to be honest and understanding and obey rules and laws. With the current proposed legislation by our Governor certain members of the Massachusetts legislature I no longer recognize my home.

Please fight for the rule of law and not the political will of the day

Sent a email this morning and just got this in reply

Dear Shawn,

Thank you for contacting me. You accurately point out the flawed approach of the Governor and anti-gun groups.

You can count on me to protect our sacred Second Amendment rights. I am watching this issue closely and I will not support laws that make criminals out of law-abiding citizens yet do nothing to keep people safe.

Don't hesitate to contact me anytime. I appreciate your time and participation.

Kind regards,
Shaunna

Shaunna O'Connell
State Representative
Third Bristol District

Great to hear.. we all need to call them and continue to remind them how important this is...

Who is the Senate Majority leader, Senate Assistant Majority Leader, House Majority Leader, House Asst. Majority Leader??? Cant find them on the legislature website.

We should ALL be contacting the Leadership of both the Senate and House. Including Senate President Therese Murray and Speaker DeLeo.

This is my first post. I will be going green today and donating to Com 2A. This has me fired up. I have never emailed a legislator in my life but cant sit idle any longer. Below is my letter to Rep Dwyer. I used some good info here (Ruger and knowledgeable members) to piece it together. I will let you know the response I receive

Hello Representative Dwyer,

I am writing to you today to voice my concern over Governor Patrick's proposed gun laws in his State of the Commonwealth address last night. I am a 39 year old professional raising a family in Woburn. I want to acknowledge that I am not a current owner nor have I ever owned a firearm of any kind. I am just a concerned citizen who has witnessed our constitutional rights as citizens become eroded.

As a life long resident of Massachusetts, I was afraid that what Governor Coumo pushed through in New York would quickly be copied in states like Massachusetts. The New York Law was done without a proper and public hearing. We are all saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on lawful and responsible owners are misguided. Violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004. In addition, the recent mass shooting was a very high profile yet very rare event, and should not be the basis for a series of new laws based on an emotional response.

Virtually all gun crime in this country has been committed by people who are already ineligible to possess guns. Further restrictions on what is legal to own would have no effect on the crime rate. Massachusetts has existing laws which are not being enforced (Bartley Fox) and the Governor's proposed changes would outlaw a huge percentage of the legally owned guns in the state, while having no impact on violent assaults.

I believe your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Best Regards,

We need a template. Mind if I use this as a starting point?

My rep is Keiko Orrall. I called her office and was told she had no intention of supporting any additional gun control legislation. Same response from my Senator, Mike Rodrigues. I called Speaker Bob Deleo and Senate President Therese Murrys offices also. Deleos office said the phone was ringing off the hook today, so hopefully he gets the message. Called Patricks office just cuz..... I got the feeling they didn't appreciate me sharing my opinion.

Emailed Representative Peake and Senator Wolf. Rep Peake has a (A GOAL) rating and although Sen Wolf has no rating I know from calling his office during the past election he supports law abiding gun owners and stands behind the second amendment.

Got one myself tdy:

"Stephen,

Thank you for sharing your perspective on gun legislation now under consideration by the General Assembly.

I have long been committed to the Second Amendment, along with all our constitutional protections. I will not support legislation which further curtails the rights of law-abiding gun owners. In my opinion, the proposals now under discussion would do nothing to prevent future tragedies.

I am pleased to have been appointed to the mental health subcommittee of the Sandy Hook Commission--that is the area where I think we must begin to address the root causes of violence in our society.

I will try to keep you informed of our progress on this issue, and I invite you to contact me at any time.

Joe"
The Honorable Joe Markley
Connecticut Senate
Legislative Office Building, Room 3400
Hartford, CT 06106

Just got off the phone with State Rep Fernandes. We talked for 20mins+. Unfortunately, I cannot say that he is on our side. He essentially said; I'm a constitution lawyer and know and respect 1st & 2A and the whole Constitution. However, all proposals and ideas will be left on the table and looked into. I'm roughly quoting; if there's anything that can be done to curb gun violence, he's going to look into it and if it's based in reality (ie can be backed as effective) he will have to consider it. He likened gun ownership legislature to drunk driving legislature and said the past 30 years prove that legislation has curbed drunk driving and deaths. He also quoted reports that say less guns = less gun violence. He even touted the excellent results of the Patriot Act and how it curbs terrorist acts which of course we don't know about since it's not public info. As to the exact content of the proposal, he hasn't looked into it yet.

I maintained my composure through out and respectfully disagreed. I offered my help and the help of others to partake in his "discovery" process where he's deciding if he's going to back it or not. I offered to provide him with data, studies & opinions. He was open to this and asked me to contact him as this unfolds.

Very disappointing to say the least. Also, this conversation drew my attention to something: most Reps will say they support and defend 2A, but in their mind they think it's acceptable to "reasonably" legislate and control. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of reps are telling you they're pro-2A then turn around and sign more gun control legislation.

I need a drink.

Back
Top Bottom