• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Positive respones from state Reps

Sent a email this morning and just got this in reply

Dear Shawn,

Thank you for contacting me. You accurately point out the flawed approach of the Governor and anti-gun groups.

You can count on me to protect our sacred Second Amendment rights. I am watching this issue closely and I will not support laws that make criminals out of law-abiding citizens yet do nothing to keep people safe.

Don't hesitate to contact me anytime. I appreciate your time and participation.

Kind regards,
Shaunna

Shaunna O'Connell
State Representative
Third Bristol District

My rep pretty much told me the same thing. I called him at 8Am this morning.

Honestly, the only way to stop this tyranny is to start making a phone call. Emails are alright, but a phone call holds more weight. On top of that, show up on saturday to the state building. I will be there and plan on making my stand.

Anyone who has had some well received letters, would you mind posting them so others who aren't so eloquently spoken could have some ideas? Thanks!

I got cold shoulder from Mark Montigny and Christopher Markey, sent emails, got no reply at all, can anyone share an impressive letter?

If I don't hear back via email I'm calling. I DEMAND to know where they stand on this issue so that I can vote accordingly next time around.

You must have had a good letter, can you share it with the rest of us to give us some ideas/phrases?

Its was really just short, sweet and straight to the point

Said that this new bill will just make criminals out of everyday citizens and that this one gun a month and one mag will hurt the small gun buiness owners in this state, And it will gorce people to sell personnal property theybwork hard for or face going to jail. We need to focus one enforcing the laws we have now

Sent emails to Brian Dempsey and Kathleen O'Connor-Ives this morning telling them to reject this blatant political BS.

Knapik, Michael (SEN) <[email protected]>

12/27/12

to me
I appreciate your email. I am sure you are aware of my long-time record in support of the 2nd Amendment, and, as such, I would oppose any knee-jerk response to the tragedy in CT. I am hopeful you receive similar emails from your other elected representatives.

Knapik, Michael (SEN) <[email protected]>

12/27/12

to me
I appreciate your email. I am sure you are aware of my long-time record in support of the 2nd Amendment, and, as such, I would oppose any knee-jerk response to the tragedy in CT. I am hopeful you receive similar emails from your other elected representatives.

I think Mike and Don Humason are safe backers no matter what. I still contacted both just in case.

You are lucky to have Shauna O'Connell as your State Representative - she seems to have a good head on her shoulders considering she was one of the only politicians willing to stand up for abuse of the EBT card system. She is no where near my location and I still called her office and thanked her for spearheading efforts to crack down on abuse of the EBT card system.

I am definelty contacting my representatives regarding this sickening legislation. Any chance of posting your email as a template to send to our representatives?

I got this from Rep. Peterson.
Rich,

Rest assured that I will continue to do all that I can to fight against the Governor's proposal, as it doesn’t make too much sense. We are looking to enact changes that would have positive effects on the Commonwealth, not necessarily 'feel good' pieces.

George

Rep. George N. Peterson, Jr.
House Assistant Minority Leader
State House, Room 124
Boston, MA 02133
T: 617-722-2100
[email protected]

legislative aide: David Muradian
[email protected]

My rep pretty much told me the same thing. I called him at 8Am this morning.

Honestly, the only way to stop this tyranny is to start making a phone call. Emails are alright, but a phone call holds more weight. On top of that, show up on saturday to the state building. I will be there and plan on making my stand.

+1 on the call comment. Holds much more weight than email according to a number of sources.

I was up until 2 am last night. I emailed all but 15 members of the MA legislature. I will complete the list of MA elected officials tonight, while calling my reps as well as some influential reps not of my district. I'd suggest every NES member do the same.

This is my first post. I will be going green today and donating to Com 2A. This has me fired up. I have never emailed a legislator in my life but cant sit idle any longer. Below is my letter to Rep Dwyer. I used some good info here (Ruger and knowledgeable members) to piece it together. I will let you know the response I receive

Hello Representative Dwyer,

I am writing to you today to voice my concern over Governor Patrick's proposed gun laws in his State of the Commonwealth address last night. I am a 39 year old professional raising a family in Woburn. I want to acknowledge that I am not a current owner nor have I ever owned a firearm of any kind. I am just a concerned citizen who has witnessed our constitutional rights as citizens become eroded.

As a life long resident of Massachusetts, I was afraid that what Governor Coumo pushed through in New York would quickly be copied in states like Massachusetts. The New York Law was done without a proper and public hearing. We are all saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on lawful and responsible owners are misguided. Violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004. In addition, the recent mass shooting was a very high profile yet very rare event, and should not be the basis for a series of new laws based on an emotional response.

Virtually all gun crime in this country has been committed by people who are already ineligible to possess guns. Further restrictions on what is legal to own would have no effect on the crime rate. Massachusetts has existing laws which are not being enforced (Bartley Fox) and the Governor's proposed changes would outlaw a huge percentage of the legally owned guns in the state, while having no impact on violent assaults.

I believe your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Best Regards,

Here's a copy of my letter that I am emailing and snail mailing to my reps if anyone is looking for ideas.

Representative X;

I am writing to you as a voter and resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I am deeply concerned by Governor Patrick's new proposed Gun Legislation. In a state that already has some of the most restrictive gun laws this new legislation further chips away at the rights and liberties granted to use by the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment of the United States Constitution.

I was deeply horrified by the atrocities committed in Newtown, CT. I am in support of legislation that would have meaningful and effective action to help prevent future tragedies without infringing upon the rights of law abiding citizens. No such action exists in this new legislation proposed by Governor Patrick. These new laws will do nothing to prevent the violent actions of unstable criminals. The only effect the will have is hindering the ability of lawful Americans to protect their families and their freedoms. Nearly all gun crime in this country is committed by people who are in illegal possession of firearms, they will not be affected by these new laws. Instead of creating new laws, the existing ones should be enforced. Further restricting Massachusetts citizens’ rights to keep and bear arms will only serve to make them easier targets for those who have intent to cause harm regardless of any law enacted or enforced. Firearms are inanimate objects and to blame them for the action of people's free will and punish lawful citizens is not the solution.

The right to bear arms goes far beyond hunting and sporting. Throughout history disarmed citizens have become subjects to tyranny and enslaved by their government. While this may not yet be an immediate threat today, any action to reduce the ability of the citizens to keep the reach of the government in check, which was founded by freedom loving men to serve them, further erodes the principles and liberties for our future generations. These laws proposed by Governor Patrick will turn me and many other innocent people like myself into felons with a flick of a pen. I as a citizen, brother, husband and future father respectfully urge you to please stand with me and many others like me in the defense of our Constitution and the future of this state and great nation. Please vote no on any new legislation that seeks to strip the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights from the people whom you are sworn to serve.

Respectfully,

I believe the legislation hasbeen filed as linked below.
http://www.mass.gov/governor/legislationeexecorder/legislation/an-act-to-strengthen-and-enhance-firearms-laws.html
Please review and let me knowyour comments.

Thank you

-

From: Turner, Cleon -Rep. (HOU) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:34 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Gun control proposals

Itis difficult to comment on legislation that has not been filed or is not yetavailable for review.

Cleon H. Turner
State Representative
First Barnstable District

I got a middle-of-the-road response from Jeanne Shaheen. She expressed that our gun rights are important but that we need to consider multiple factors including possible magazine restrictions. Not sure I'd count on her fighting for us.

i just made my two calls to the Reps in my Zip. One call was detail note taken by a secretary type person, the other was voice mail so i maxed out the recording.

I plan to follow up with letters later today using info on this post.

thanks guys!

AG

I wrote my Republican State Rep and Goal Endorsed Dem State Senator two weeks ago and haven't heard anything back!

I got a canned response from the gov (i posted that in a different thread) I also sent out emails to a few others as well i have more to go

Just sent another email expressing my disappointment with the pols continuing to scapegoat law-abiding gun owners for the tradegy last month in CT.

i just made my two calls to the Reps in my Zip. One call was detail note taken by a secretary type person, the other was voice mail so i maxed out the recording.

I plan to follow up with letters later today using info on this post.

thanks guys!

AG

Whats maxing out the recording? Short and to the point is sometimes best. Long could be annoying.

Back
Top Bottom