• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Portland officer dies after accidental shooting

we are all taught at the academy, 40+ hrs of firearms safe handling and marksmenship skills, also taught keep finger out of trigger guard til ready to shoot, always be aware of your muzzle and the direction it is pointed in... so how do you like the AD theory now??

People forget what they were taught 20 years ago. People mess up, particularly when they are fatigued. They get into bad habits. They do things without thinking. And sometimes they just do dumb things.

Since he shot himself in the leg, it sure sounds like an AD/ND to me, not suicide.

I'm not arguing wether it was suicide or not, more likely not suicide... once again there is no room for carelessness when it comes to firearms, if he was fatigued he should have waited til he was more vigilant.....

Thats why its important for in-service training to include basic firearms safety, how would this scenario have played out if the wife or one of the kids took the bullet????

I know enough about training at the academy level. I was a firearm's instruction at both my municipality and at the county level were we taught hundreds of recruits a year. I understand very well the curriculum of firearm's training in those institutions. Sitting in a class for a few hours doesn't guarantee that anyone will never have a ND. To look at the facts available in this case an think that it was an intentional act is without merit. I commanded a lot of LE officers from the patrol level up to Lt. I knew which ones were at risk for an event that could negatively affect their career or home life. While not absolute, anyone who spends time with these people know them better then their families in many cases.

I don't know what level or your experience in LE, but unless you have some info that isn't available to the general public, it looks like this one is sadly nothing more than a mistake on the part of the officer.

I'm not arguing wether it was suicide or not, more likely not suicide... once again there is no room for carelessness when it comes to firearms, if he was fatigued he should have waited til he was more vigilant.....

Drew: I'm an NRA certified firearms instructor, NRA and IDPA certified range safety officer. You won't find any argument coming from me that people need to be vigilant when handling firearms.

But the reality is that people screw up, particularly when they are tired. I'm not saying this as an excuse for what happened, but rather as both a possible explanation and a warning to others that we need to be ever more vigilant when we're tired. John Farnam addressed this a while back:

A student experienced an ND in his motel room recently. The single, errant bullet penetrated to an outside wall and impacted into a hill behind the motel. Fortunately, it resulted in property damage only, along with a large dose of embarrassment.

The accident occurred at the end of a long and exhausting day of shooting.

The student was tired. He took his backup pistol out of its holster and began to unload it, then became distracted by a news bulletin on TV. When he " dry-fired," the pistol unexpectedly discharged.

This kind of accident can happen to anybody, and those of us who carry and handle guns regularly needn't think ourselves exempt! The two causative factors, operating simultaneously are always:

Fatigue, and Distraction.

Sometimes, we're just too tired to be handing guns! This student told me later that he had decided to wait until morning to continue with maintenance , but then changed his mind.

When loading, unloading, performing a chamber check, and performing user-level maintenance, we need to have an attention span sufficient to complete the process. Interruptions will provide the deadly catalyst! As with parallel parking a car, handling guns requires that we pay full attention to what we're doing throughout the procedure.

[edited]

Every time you touch a gun, you are presented with yet another chance to have an accident. Be alert. Follow the correct procedure without interruptions. Use a Safe Direction bag. The consequences of your errant bullet causing injury are too grievous to do less.

Full text of the Farnam article is here: http://www.defense-training.com/quips/2005/12Sept05.html

I think Farnam's advice is very important -- we should not assume that this could never happen to us simply because we are well-trained and consider ourselves to be safety conscious. Plenty of folks who thought the same of themselves have had NDs. All it takes is a moment of inattention.

Last edited:
I have over 5 yrs in LE and over 10 yrs as an armed professional, have spent over 8,000 in traing tuition fees and probably dbl that in ammunition cost in training alone... in my 30s now and been around firearms since I was six... still have a lot to learn.... just what i was taught in the 8 hr basic pistol course I took will stay with me the rest of my life... couldnt even imagine the alternative...

I'm looking at the whole picture, you have all made valid and great points... as a certified safety instructor and CCW/Armed Professional Instructor as well as range safety officer, I think we as responsible adults need to remove ourselves from any destraction while handling any firearms.... especially when other people are around....

Back
Top Bottom