Portland, ME- Drop some knowledge on guns, beers and lobster rolls

dlarge

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Dude my honest advise would be to stop and stay in Portsmouth. You'll get good food and beer there. Minimal bullshit.

With no COVID that would not be my recommendation. Portland is far more fun. But nowadays? Doubt it's worth trying to navigate the rules/procedures/policies/etc...

Reactions: JRT

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Some excellent options for you to consider:

did the tour, great place, bought the hat...

Hands-down the best vodka you’ll ever taste. The blueberry really isn’t my jam, but you’ll be a fool not to bring two bottles back with you (note: available for local purchase in MA at select distributors)

Hands-down the best maple syrup (I know, weird, right?) No offense to the VT’ers... did the tour, spirits are nice too but the maple syrup is legit over vanilla ice cream or in your bourbon. You’re gonna wanna buy 3 bottles of this one... one for the GF so she doesn’t steal yours, and one for “hero points” for the GF’s mother after she tries it, so you can surprise her with a bottle at Christmas.

if you’re gonna make that trek, you might as well bring back groceries

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Portland sucks, but the old port is full of dive bars. Maine lobster is Maine lobster. they take one, boil it and give it to you. None of the restaurants have a culinary edge in how they boil sea roaches. Also, re: loberster rolls, guess what? they all use frozen lobster from sysco so it's literally all the same. I've worked in like 6 different southern maine sea food restaurants and none of them are cooking fresh lobsters then chilling it to make lobster rolls.
Not true at least at the place I was talking about..I was there before it opened and a fisherman and his partner carried in 2 gigantic bags of fresh shucked lobster meat.

lancecolonel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i can't be certain about these particular eateries but i do know a lot of places have reduced hours or outright closed "cuz 'rona". be sure to call before you stop by.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Does it HAVE to be a lobster roll? If you're from away, a really fun, Maine-themed thing to do is to run up to Boothbay Harbor, and go on a Cabbage Island Clambake. Cabbage Island Clambakes

Normally I won't be caught dead in Boothbay, but I make an exception for this; it's fun

Dude my honest advise would be to stop and stay in Portsmouth. You'll get good food and beer there. Minimal bullshit.

With no COVID that would not be my recommendation. Portland is far more fun. But nowadays? Doubt it's worth trying to navigate the rules/procedures/policies/etc...
How is Covid crap in Portland any different than Portsmouth?

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Not true at least at the place I was talking about..I was there before it opened and a fisherman and his partner carried in 2 gigantic bags of fresh shucked lobster meat.
This.
Maybe restaurants where they bring out a seasonal lobster roll on their menu for the tourists, they'll use meat from a distributer. But a seafood restaurant on the dock gets their lobster right there fresh that day, cooks it, picks it, serves it.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If you are bringing the wife and it is a food trip, you've got to have dinner at Fore Street. It is excellent. You need reservations, even pre-apocalypse. Not a jacket and tie place, but you will want to at least wear a shirt with a collar.
We have a resy here for one of the nights. We found it on some bloggers site about Portland. I’m probably most excited about this place.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
P.S., I don't think there are any dive bars in Portland anymore. Used to be you ha d a good chance of getting a bottle busted over your head or a case of the clap by walking into Geno's, Popeye's Ice House, or any number of neighborhood swill joints. Anything down in the Old Port is metro-lumberjack, hipster territory.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
P.S., I don't think there are any dive bars in Portland anymore. Used to be you ha d a good chance of getting a bottle busted over your head or a case of the clap by walking into Geno's, Popeye's Ice House, or any number of neighborhood swill joints. Anything down in the Old Port is metro-lumberjack, hipster territory.
This is why dive bars are the greatest. Act up and get beat down, it sorely missing today.

kevin9

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How is Covid crap in Portland any different than Portsmouth?
Other than the rulz, it's not.
However, the ME governor has taken the ronatardation to the top tier, requiring negative tests or 14 day quarantines for all entrants, unless you're coming from a few select states. AFAIK PA is not on the list. The OP of course will make his own risk-reward assessment WRT to such mala prohibita.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Other than the rulz, it's not.
However, the ME governor has taken the ronatardation to the top tier, requiring negative tests or 14 day quarantines for all entrants, unless you're coming from a few select states. AFAIK PA is not on the list. The OP of course will make his own risk-reward assessment WRT to such mala prohibita.
Do you know what the Austin Powers look alike can do with her 14 days. Right?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For the lobster roll, go an hour past Portland:

1447 Five Islands Rd
Georgetown, ME 04548
United States

After Labor Day, so weekends only.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the best lobster samwich i ever had in maine was at
Sarah's Cafe & Twin Schooners Pub in Wiscasset ME.
Some disagree and say go to Red's Eats across the street.

so you have a choice now.

Attachments

Top Bottom