Portland, ME- Drop some knowledge on guns, beers and lobster rolls

knoxy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I lived in southern maine for quite a while....maybe I was just too close to it. I can think of a million seaside towns in Maine I'd rather go to than Portland.
Yeah same. I grew up in So. Maine and am living back in the area. From a local perspective i cant stand Portland. Moonbats have infested the place.

Definitely walk around the Old Port for a variety of bars. OOB has a bunch of dives but after Labor Day alot of places close down.

There are some lobstah pounds in Pine Point in Scarborough. It's a short trip off RT 1 not far from portland. They're usually serving up lobster roll and other stuff on the dock.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Also, I’d be traveling with a copy of FOPA as you pass through NY, CT and MA driving from PA... that’s quite the gauntlet you’re gonna run, I hope the lobster rolls are worth it...
Why go to Maine when you could stop in NH?

Maine is full of maniacs, not good.
Also don’t stop in NY, CT, or RI.
Your only hope for normality is NH.
Yeah... NY, CT, RI & MA are a walk in the park compared to NJ. Be VERY careful there. They ban cop-killer bullets (hollow points). You can be as in compliance as you like w the guns re FOPA transport but you could get jammed up on the ammo, even if stored in a separate locked container. Dunno what the FOPA transport legalities are with respect to ammo but they will screw you and ruin your day even if you end up winning the legalities later.

Reactions: JRT

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Portland & Portsmouth are similar. I’d give the edge to Portland but I prefer NH to ME generally and not sure it’s worth the extra 50 miles. Also easy for me to say since it’s a relatively short drive for me either way. Both have decent restaurants & breweries. I’d check which has less COVID BS going onq

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Best lobster rolls in my opinion are places that have different sizes and they tell you the weight.

I haven't gone this year, but there is a place in Ogonquit on the pier I guess it's called where the lobster rolls are 4 oz 8 oz 3/4lb and one pound rolls. I usually get a 1lb roll with no mayo or whatever, it's just lobster meat on a sub roll and I get a side of butter..They have whole lobsters, chowder and some sort of clams in a basket as well..It is kinda expensive there but it is located in a nice area and you can walk along the cliffs on a path lined with incredible homes overlooking the ocean after the meal, the walk ends at a pretty big beach. The walking path is called Marginal Mile or something, my GF loves it.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
York river landing is the place @Asaltweapon is referencing. They usually have a huge selection of brews on tap. You can hop off 95 at exit 3, visit KTP, drive a few miles up rt 1 to the landing then drive another couple miles north and hop back on 95. I hear that red's eats is a tourist trap (can confirm that Bob's clams next to KTP is) so maybe avoid that place.
Dat’s da place. Been in 4-5 times and never disappointed (other than I still gotta drive or I’d stay) from the beer selection and menu.
OP, The rule/law is carrying in a licensed premise IIRC.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland & Portsmouth are similar. I’d give the edge to Portland but I prefer NH to ME generally and not sure it’s worth the extra 50 miles. Also easy for me to say since it’s a relatively short drive for me either way. Both have decent restaurants & breweries. I’d check which has less COVID BS going onq
they just instituted a mask mandate here in Portsmouth. Things are otherwise mostly normal till some Karen gets in your face about a mask.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The girlfriend wants a lobster roll so we are headed out tomorrow from Philadelphia to get her some lobster. Hopefully im not incredibly naive, Maine should equal lobster rolls I trust??? Here’s what I know, if you have any tips let me know.

1)Guns - Once I hit NH I can strap up, I’m covered by both constitutional carry and my PA LTC. Same goes for Maine with the exception of some parks but I think I’m good in Portland.

2) Beers - We are going to Bissell Brothers Brewing and making the short trip up to Maine Brewing. Not into the Belgian style anymore so Allagash is out. There are dozens of other breweries in Portland, any tips for exceptional IPAs?

3) Lobster rolls - I gotta deliver the goods here, is there a cool shack selling the best lobster rolls I should know about?

4) We like dive bars, if you have any suggestions throw them my way.

Thanks NES!
So how many cheesesteaks are you bringing in trade? Dellasandros preferred.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Giant insect of the ocean on a hot dog bun.
Easy to make as PBJ
Just harder to catch the little buggers.
Have a good trip. Off season is the best time to hit the tourist towns.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Holy Donut
Last time I was up in that area I seen a donut shop with a massive line of cars, that must be the place.

What makes that place better than a Chinese donut shop that makes them fresh all day ?

I love donuts :)

If you say they have chocolate raised the size of a Frisbee I'm riding my bike up there tomorrow and getting 2 lol

Baby Billy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ate on a docked boat restaurant in Portland. It was ok. Didn't have any lobster rolls. There was a good chowder place on the same street as the docked boat restaurant.

Also went to that donut shop. It was walking distance. I don't eat donuts so I didn't get the attraction. But apparently people like it.

Lobster rolls and donuts I'll pass on every time.

AJK129

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll likely see more cops in the 10 minutes you're in NH than the entire time in Maine.

Holy donut is worth it.

Reactions: JRT

Orvanic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Top Bottom