Portland, ME- Drop some knowledge on guns, beers and lobster rolls

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The girlfriend wants a lobster roll so we are headed out tomorrow from Philadelphia to get her some lobster. Hopefully im not incredibly naive, Maine should equal lobster rolls I trust??? Here’s what I know, if you have any tips let me know.

1)Guns - Once I hit NH I can strap up, I’m covered by both constitutional carry and my PA LTC. Same goes for Maine with the exception of some parks but I think I’m good in Portland.

2) Beers - We are going to Bissell Brothers Brewing and making the short trip up to Maine Brewing. Not into the Belgian style anymore so Allagash is out. There are dozens of other breweries in Portland, any tips for exceptional IPAs?

3) Lobster rolls - I gotta deliver the goods here, is there a cool shack selling the best lobster rolls I should know about?

4) We like dive bars, if you have any suggestions throw them my way.

Thanks NES!

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Can’t help ya too much. I only drive thru Portland because it’s in the way of where I’m going.
Carrying and beers doesn’t sit well with the Popo. Portland is rather very Liberal.
Old Port should have a few dives. DeMilio’s on the waterfront had decent food last I was there 7 or so years ago.
There is a nice place for beers and food on Rt1 on the tidal river that you can see from 95. I want to say it’s in York on the York River. Newer brown contemporary building.
The clam place by Kittery Trading Post can be crossed off your places to stop.
North of Portland has a few places to avoid for food. Some of the worst we’ve ever had.

Reactions: JRT

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Can’t help ya too much. I only drive thru Portland because it’s in the way of where I’m going.
Carrying and beers doesn’t sit well with the Popo. Portland is rather very Liberal.
Old Port should have a few dives. DeMilio’s on the waterfront had decent food last I was there 7 or so years ago.
There is a nice place for beers and food on Rt1 on the tidal river that you can see from 95. I want to say it’s in York on the York River. Newer brown contemporary building.
The clam place by Kittery Trading Post can be crossed off your places to stop.
North of Portland has a few places to avoid for food. Some of the worst we’ve ever had.
I could not find a carrying while intoxicated law. I know it’s a thing in some states but it didn’t seem like Maine has one.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not find a carrying while intoxicated law. I know it’s a thing in some states but it didn’t seem like Maine has one.
Yeah, America don’t give a f*** if you are drunk and carrying...it’s normal operations.

Portland and south coastal Maine is largely liberal. It’s also in mask shutdown BS, haven’t been to Portland in a while but during normal times it’s a great place to get a hotel and drink like a sailor! Portsmouth is in NH which is better but it’s also one of the most liberal places in NH, so kinda the same deal.

your best bet for a good lobster roll is at a small place probably an hour from the coast, pick any shack. Anything near the ocean they’ll whack ya.
No gun laws in NH or ME so do as you please, but in ME you are supposed to tell the cop that pulls you over that you’re carrying....in NH it’s implied.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah, America don’t give a f*** if you are drunk and carrying...it’s normal operations.

Portland and south coastal Maine is largely liberal. It’s also in mask shutdown BS, haven’t been to Portland in a while but during normal times it’s a great place to get a hotel and drink like a sailor! Portsmouth is in NH which is better but it’s also one of the most liberal places in NH, so kinda the same deal.

your best bet for a good lobster roll is at a small place probably an hour from the coast, pick any shack. Anything near the ocean they’ll whack ya.
No gun laws in NH or ME so do as you please, but in ME you are supposed to tell the cop that pulls you over that you’re carrying....in NH it’s implied.
That’s actually an awesome tip, I don’t plan on getting pulled over but I would not know to inform. I’ll mostly be walking and Lyft.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually an awesome tip, I don’t plan on getting pulled over but I would not know to inform. I’ll mostly be walking and Lyft.
Hopefully you don’t plan on getting pulled over anyways.... and no need to search you either, but I guess it’s the law. NH and ME are constitutional carry, nobody cares, you do you. No loaded rifles, but you can toss your loaded pistol on the seat, no issue. Don’t be a dick to cops and they’ll be cool.

lancecolonel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
York river landing is the place @Asaltweapon is referencing. They usually have a huge selection of brews on tap. You can hop off 95 at exit 3, visit KTP, drive a few miles up rt 1 to the landing then drive another couple miles north and hop back on 95. I hear that red's eats is a tourist trap (can confirm that Bob's clams next to KTP is) so maybe avoid that place.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Um. Having lived here in NC for nearly 4 years, you know how I get fresh lobster meat? Algore’s internet! And I make her the best lobster roll the planet has ever seen. It’s amazing what you can get on the inter webs.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
York river landing is the place @Asaltweapon is referencing. They usually have a huge selection of brews on tap. You can hop off 95 at exit 3, visit KTP, drive a few miles up rt 1 to the landing then drive another couple miles north and hop back on 95. I hear that red's eats is a tourist trap (can confirm that Bob's clams next to KTP is) so maybe avoid that place.
York river landing is superb!! My mom lives nearby so it’s a favorite place.
If you want to go there, don’t get off any ‘exit,’ go to the rest stop, first one in Maine. There is a discrete exit off of that rear stop that shoots you onto Route 1.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobster roll - The Oceanside Store on Long Sands beach in York. Just south of Liquid Dreams surf shop.
Stop at Goldenrod's up the road by Short Sands for amazing saltwater taffy. Fox's out on Cape Neddick is an old school lobster and seafood restaurant with idyllic views of the Maine coast. Service is very pleasant too. My wife and kid would always take me there for a lobster on Father's Day.
Fox's Lobster House : 8 Sohier Park Road, York Beach, ME 03910

Last edited:

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I know the Brain-Trust is strong here, but why not look up and read the ACTUAL statutes and laws... better yet still, print a copy and bring with you...

Also, I’d be traveling with a copy of FOPA as you pass through NY, CT and MA driving from PA... that’s quite the gauntlet you’re gonna run, I hope the lobster rolls are worth it...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Portland sucks, but the old port is full of dive bars. Maine lobster is Maine lobster. they take one, boil it and give it to you. None of the restaurants have a culinary edge in how they boil sea roaches. Also, re: loberster rolls, guess what? they all use frozen lobster from sysco so it's literally all the same. I've worked in like 6 different southern maine sea food restaurants and none of them are cooking fresh lobsters then chilling it to make lobster rolls.

if you want a good steak on the way up there, stop in Wells at the Steakhouse. reasonably priced and pretty good. it's not Ruth's Chris or Mastro's but it's good.

Kennebunkport is a fun town to walk around.. Federal Jacks has good food and beers. not a dive, more of a brew pub with pub food.

dlarge

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Portland sucks, but the old port is full of dive bars. Maine lobster is Maine lobster. they take one, boil it and give it to you. None of the restaurants have a culinary edge in how they boil sea roaches. Also, re: loberster rolls, guess what? they all use frozen lobster from sysco so it's literally all the same. I've worked in like 6 different southern maine sea food restaurants and none of them are cooking fresh lobsters then chilling it to make lobster rolls.

if you want a good steak on the way up there, stop in Wells at the Steakhouse. reasonably priced and pretty good. it's not Ruth's Chris or Mastro's but it's good.

Kennebunkport is a fun town to walk around.. Federal Jacks has good food and beers. not a dive, more of a brew pub with pub food.
Have to fully disagree.

Portland is very fun. Lots of great places to eat. Lots of great breweries. Plenty of good scenery.

All that said, I wouldn't go right now. All that COVID rule bullshit ruins the spontaneity.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yep. Lobster rolls were invented so the pounds could sell the dead ones. Sysco mightve taken that to distribution level

arsco

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maine brewing is a fun spot. there is a small independent brewer if you head toward LLbean before grittys. im pretty sure the guy is a vet. bar top is all spent brass. was a cool spot I hope they are still open

Reactions: JRT
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have to fully disagree.

Portland is very fun. Lots of great places to eat. Lots of great breweries. Plenty of good scenery.

All that said, I wouldn't go right now. All that COVID rule bullshit ruins the spontaneity.
I lived in southern maine for quite a while....maybe I was just too close to it. I can think of a million seaside towns in Maine I'd rather go to than Portland.

dlarge

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I lived in southern maine for quite a while....maybe I was just too close to it. I can think of a million seaside towns in Maine I'd rather go to than Portland.
Yea no offense but you probably were. Sure, it's a bit touristy. But for a weekend trip once a year? Who cares.

Full disclosure, I lived in Boston for 8 years, and while I wouldn't ever live there again, very rare weekend trips are so much fun.

Top Bottom