Portland building owner apologizes for hiring armed guards during protest

The two security guards wore vests and carried rifles, according to photos captured by citizens and shared on social media, alarming many protesters who passed the building as they were leaving the evening’s rally outside the police station. The presence of the two security guards, armed with rifles and without police insignia, caused a stir that may have contributed to further confrontations with state and local police a block away later Tuesday night, which led to 10 more arrests. Allan Labos, who owns the building at 193 Middle Street, said that he hired a security outfit “on short notice” Tuesday after damage was reported to commercial properties during a charged protest in the area one day earlier. He now says it was a mistake. “In hindsight, I overreacted based on information [we] were getting via news outlets,” Labos said. “I truly apologize to the community for sending out the wrong message. was only trying to protect livelihoods.”

Portland Police Lt. Robert Martin told the Press Herald that police were aware there were people armed with rifles during the event but did not know which businesses they were protecting or whether they had been hired by a property owner. The protest Monday drew an estimated 1,000 people and started peacefully but became violent and destructive in the early morning hours. Police in riot gear arrested 23 people, all but one for failing to disperse. Hamdia Ahmed, a young activist who organized another protest Wednesday, said she heard about the armed guards Tuesday when she was trying to make sure protesters were getting home safely. Teenagers who were trying to get home were afraid to walk past the building, so Ahmed and others provided rides and directed foot traffic around it. She said the few people who are damaging property are not representative of the movement, and the presence of armed guards adds to a false narrative that black youth are dangerous. Caitrin Monahan of Portland was with Ahmed that night. Monahan said she asked the guards who they were and why they were there. They told her they were there to protect businesses but refused to give more details. She estimated that they redirected 30 young people so they did not have to walk by the guards. “This was just a huge escalation that I don’t think had to happen, and it’s a trauma that people are going to carry with them,” Monahan, 28, said. The protest was one of six that have taken place in Portland since May 29 as other, sometimes more violent demonstrations have been held across the country following the death of George Floyd while in the custody of Minneapolis police. Protests in Portland have mostly been peaceful, although an additional 10 people were arrested Tuesday for failure to disperse after that protest ended.

He should've stuck with the part about information he had at the time indicated such was warranted; then added in order to feed his family and maintain the livelihood of employees he takes the viability of the business he has worked so hard for very seriously.

My guess the people offended by it mostly are from out of state and are just not accustomed to seeing guns.

He doesn't own anything without the fortitude to protect it.

If/when the bodies start hitting the ground here, I'll apologize to nobody.

The presence of the two security guards, armed with rifles and without police insignia, caused a stir that may have contributed to further confrontations with state and local police a block away later Tuesday night

LOL, so much BS.

This got me thinking ... as an immigrant, maybe I can claim a permanent disability from these riots. I cant work because I feel judged by everyone. That might even work. Then I can dedicate my life to collecting money and going to the range every day.

Nobody can do or say anything that will trigger or offend ! The second someone does they are considered racist.

In a related story, the owner of the building has issued an RFP for removing all urinals and replacing them with "panty-drying stations".

(No, this is NOT my audition to write for the babylon bee)

Eh, its Portland. Figures. If armed security guards (like you commonly see outside banks in most lib cities) are going to "traumatize" them, then there is pretty much no hope those folks are going to amount to anything in this life. Quite sad.

Was it the Ganja Candy Factory Warehouse???

1591586808874.png
1591586844646.png
1591586730063.png
1591586748628.png

Back
Top Bottom