• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Portable water filters for preppers.

Sportsmans Guide has a filter system that will filter 4,750 gallons of water for $80.99 if you are a member of the Buyers Club.

Scroll down to " YOU MAY ALSO LIKE"

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/lifestraw-personal-portable-water-filter?a=1743244

i have one of those, I got it for $48 on Woot (plus $5 shipping). I needed one of those cause not sure my kids can use the $15 straw type.

Wait for it to show up on woot again.

http://sport.woot.com/offers/eartheasy-lifestraw-family-1-0-purifier-4

Last edited:
Me, I'm a fan of Katadyn products. They cost a fair bit more but they are the gold standard.

Me too. I have one of these for a long day on the trail, and love it. I've filtered some pretty rough (relatively speaking) looking water, and was very happy with it. Coupled with a few life straws in various locations, and I feel I'm in pretty good shape for water. The larger unit the OP is talking about is pretty good for a camp situation, but doesn't seem too portable, as it looks like it takes up a lot of room.

Sawyer Mini (review here) is the way to go if there is no chemical contamination in the water.

Otherwise, Katadyn Vario with the carbon filter. Buy some extra filters, though, to give you more capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always good to see nice deals on stuff.

I'll chime in for when someone really needs some serious filtration- I highly recommend General Ecology:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Ecolo...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00AI91958

I'll spare the technical details which can easily be found, but on three separate treks into the deep bush this filter has saved our bacon when all the others were clogging or breaking down. Take your pick of major brands you can buy from REI (other than this), and I have seen them give up the ghost on extended 2 week treks. Once on the Maine AT in the buggy water of the 100 Mile Wilderness, and 2X out west in the southern Rockies when drought conditions left us with nasty, dirty water sources at most campsites. I think the light duty stuff is OK if your source is pretty clean. In my case, by the end of the hiking treks out west my General Ecology was the only filter still working, supporting water for several people. I had to backwash it a couple times to keep it flowing.

Always good to see nice deals on stuff.

I'll chime in for when someone really needs some serious filtration- I highly recommend General Ecology:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Ecolo...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00AI91958

I'll spare the technical details which can easily be found, but on three separate treks into the deep bush this filter has saved our bacon when all the others were clogging or breaking down. Take your pick of major brands you can buy from REI (other than this), and I have seen them give up the ghost on extended 2 week treks. Once on the Maine AT in the buggy water of the 100 Mile Wilderness, and 2X out west in the southern Rockies when drought conditions left us with nasty, dirty water sources at most campsites. I think the light duty stuff is OK if your source is pretty clean. In my case, by the end of the hiking treks out west my General Ecology was the only filter still working, supporting water for several people. I had to backwash it a couple times to keep it flowing.

Thanks. I already have a "Life straw" and a couple others. Just read the reviews of this and ordered one to add to the shelves...

Thanks. I already have a "Life straw" and a couple others. Just read the reviews of this and ordered one to add to the shelves...

Welcome. It's a great filter. A little bulky for backpacking but less weight than carrying the fuel to boil & more convenient than boiling all of your water. I have had mine for years and have only replaced a couple cartridges. It does a good job of removing any minerals & tannins, so brownish sulfur smelling water ends up clear and odor free. I have pumped from some really nasty stuff when I had no choice, though I 'prefiltered' with a bandana to keep the unit's pre-screen clear for a longer time.

I have thus far avoided going to India for work but need to sometime soon. I'll probably pack the 'First Need' filter for that trip, just in case. It's the only one that will filter viruses and other very small, dangerous things like crytosporidia.

Sawyer Mini (review here) is the way to go if there is no chemical contamination in the water.

In the review:
...the Sawyer Mini filter, as with almost all filters out there, doesn’t filter chemicals so you need an extra step to be absolutely positive that the water you’re drinking is safe. The Berkey SPTREP Replacement Filter for GSPRT Sports Bottle is what he’s talking about. Run the Sawyer first and then into the Berkey so it lasts longer.

Start at 11:40 for the commentary on chemical filtration with the Berkey SPTREP Replacement Filter:

I picked up a couple of these from Amazon for removing chemical contamination from the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumb question, but how do you run it through the Sawyer Mini first and then the Berkey bottle, doesn't the Sawyer work on suction?

How's the Sawyer Mini compare to the Lifestraw? I have a few of both.

Dumb question, but how do you run it through the Sawyer Mini first and then the Berkey bottle, doesn't the Sawyer work on suction?

How's the Sawyer Mini compare to the Lifestraw? I have a few of both.

The Sawyer works on pressure. You squeeze the water through it from a pouch. You can suck directly on it like the Lifestraw. But, if it were chemically contaminated water, you would squeeze the water through the Sawyer into a clean container and then use the Berkey as a straw to drink from the container.

Start the video in Post #14 at 2:45. He discusses the difference between the Sawyer and Lifestraw. Sawyer wins for him (and me).

Last edited:
The Sawyer works on pressure. You squeeze the water through it from a pouch. You can suck directly on it like the Lifestraw. But, if it were chemically contaminated water, you would squeeze the water through the Sawyer into a clean container and then use the Berkey as a straw to drink from the container.

Start the video in Post #14 at 2:45. He discusses the difference between the Sawyer and Lifestraw. Sawyer wins for him (and me).

Oh ok cool, that's a big plus for the Sawyer then, don't think the LIfestraw can be squeezed. I also heard the Sawyers were better, got those after I got the Lifestraws.

I just picked up a Sawyer and fooled around with it in my kitchen. It's super easy to use and I like that it's got a standard bottle thread on the input side. I'm thinking you could easily make a larger scale system by using a large container for dirty water and letting gravity force it through the filter. Kind of like they do with this system:

https://sawyer.com/international/products/sawyer-pointone-filter-with-bucket-adapter-kit-3-ft-hose/

For base camp it would be nice to be able to use it to make a larger batch of drinking water and not always treat it on demand. Or have a larger reserve (bucket) of dirty water and use a valve to dispense as you need it. Either way it would be pretty convenient to let gravity do the work.

I know they say not to let it freeze. I wonder if you force air through it when you're done if that'll help keep it from getting damaged in colder temps. Off to the Google (or the DuckDuckGo as the case may be).

Back
Top Bottom