• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Portable water filter system for chemicals

Check out First Need portable filters from General Ecology, Inc. I've used mine in some nasty, mucky, bug filled water in the 100 Mile Wilderness (Maine AT) and on a 2 week treks in the southern Rockies. Not as compact or light as others but it's a serious filter that removes pretty much everything- bacteria, cysts, even viruses. Check the specs, but it should remove chemicals as well- it is tested by checking to see if it completely removes blue dye from water.

On one of two Rockies treks, about halfway through our 120 miles everyone else's MSR's and Katadyn's gave up the ghost and were either clogged or broken from trying to force water through clogged elements. The First Need filter was the only survivor and became our only source of purified water for several days. Conditions were near drought and the water sources at times really sucked- like barely a trickle of brown water in a stinky mudhole.

https://generalecology.com/images/files/pdf/200385A FNXLEspec1012.pdf

They have larger systems as well, though I have only used the portable one. It's not too complicated to backwash this filter if/when it requires backwashing. I highly recommend it.

Check out First Need portable filters from General Ecology, Inc. I've used mine in some nasty, mucky, bug filled water in the 100 Mile Wilderness (Maine AT) and on a 2 week treks in the southern Rockies. Not as compact or light as others but it's a serious filter that removes pretty much everything- bacteria, cysts, even viruses. Check the specs, but it should remove chemicals as well- it is tested by checking to see if it completely removes blue dye from water.

On one of two Rockies treks, about halfway through our 120 miles everyone else's MSR's and Katadyn's gave up the ghost and were either clogged or broken from trying to force water through clogged elements. The First Need filter was the only survivor and became our only source of purified water for several days. Conditions were near drought and the water sources at times really sucked- like barely a trickle of brown water in a stinky mudhole.

https://generalecology.com/images/files/pdf/200385A FNXLEspec1012.pdf

They have larger systems as well, though I have only used the portable one. It's not too complicated to backwash this filter if/when it requires backwashing. I highly recommend it.

I assume this is a micron filter, removing particles < 0.4 um or something. if that's the case I don't think it'll remove chemicals like the OP is asking for. You need a carbon filter for that, like a Brita filter.

You're probably not worried about chemicals while hiking.

I checked over the specs on the general ecology products. The "in home" units show test results for chemical & biological contaminants, but the portable unit only shows data for biological.

I did see this note in the data for the "Seagull IV" in-home unit...
Note: SEAGULL IV systems do not remove beneficial dissolved salts and essential minerals.

That makes me wonder what other not-so-beneficial "salts & minerals" might make it through.

You just need carbon to filter chemicals - that's why dirt is such a good filter. :)

Agreed - carbon works very well for most chemicals given enough residence/contact time within a processing vessel (ie. filter housing) at a given flow rate. If the OP is looking for a basic water filter (ie. Katadyn Hiker Pro), carbon filters typically work fine but something like TBA (think aged/broken down MTBE from gasoline) can't readily be treated with carbon.

Back
Top Bottom