• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Portable Reloading Set-Up / Reloading At The Range

Ranger007

NES Member
I am sure this might have been covered. I did a search and was not successful, so if there is a thread please point me to it.

I’ve been pondering this for quite some time. I got to thinking how convenient it might be to be able to seat projectiles at the range. I know bench rest shooters do this and some other disciplines too. Curious if anyone here does this and perhaps can share what has/does work and what does not. I am thinking for initial load developement this might be worth it for me to explore.

View: https://youtu.be/QifWLBl8HrY

Hood Double Ram Press with JLC Insert | Bullet Central

Here's a list that should cover what you need:
  • Arbor press
  • LE Wilson or equivalent chamber dies: de-capper / neck sizer (assuming bolt action or some type of single shot) and a seating die
  • Hand-held priming tool- for the money I like RCBS. Sinclair makes a nicer one $$$ but I can get same results with the RCBS
  • Some type of accurate powder drop- I like Harrell
  • Small digital scale
  • Plastic mallet for the de-capper / neck sizing die
  • 0000 steel wool to wipe powder residue from the cases between shots
  • Calipers to check your OAL
You will want brass that has either been trimmed or is new and not close to max length. With the above set-up you can load rounds all day.

Here's a list that should cover what you need:
  • Arbor press
  • LE Wilson or equivalent chamber dies: de-capper / neck sizer (assuming bolt action or some type of single shot) and a seating die
  • Hand-held priming tool- for the money I like RCBS. Sinclair makes a nicer one $$$ but I can get same results with the RCBS
  • Some type of accurate powder drop- I like Harrell
  • Small digital scale
  • Plastic mallet for the de-capper / neck sizing die
  • 0000 steel wool to wipe powder residue from the cases between shots
  • Calipers to check your OAL
You will want brass that has either been trimmed or is new and not close to max length. With the above set-up you can load rounds all day.
Thank you. Yes this is for a bolt and single shooters. Roger on the brass and that’s my intent. Recommendation on a good small digital scale?

I installed my Hornady progressive onto a piece of 2x6 so I could lock it up when not in use. When I want to use it, I just clamp it to my workbench. Side benefit is that it’s super portable to any where you want to work ;)

i use to do it years ago. i c-clamped a rcbs partner press to the shooting bench but did the powder measuring inside the back of my full size bronco. had the brass sized and primed before i got to the range. so just toted the bare minimum...powder, loading block, various bullets, scale, calipers, etc. i had the luxury of backing the truck right up to the shooting bench then. seriously, a pain in the ass. i only did 2 calibers, 25-06 and 7mm int.
30315-966f2c89c968a27c507fdafc1770b844.jpg

For my needs I am leaning towards an arbor press and perhaps a Harrel.

Attachments

• 8F6BA13C-F02B-4E80-80ED-B12773F2D676.jpeg
    8F6BA13C-F02B-4E80-80ED-B12773F2D676.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 24
  • D5A5AC5C-3301-43EC-97C7-EE2216BD9344.jpeg
    D5A5AC5C-3301-43EC-97C7-EE2216BD9344.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DDDB8C88-400C-4E6E-A19A-6EF6214A993B.jpeg
    DDDB8C88-400C-4E6E-A19A-6EF6214A993B.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom