• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Portable reloading set up for loading at the range

Had a very good friend pass two years ago and his brother wanted me to come up and look at his reloading stuff to see if there was anything I wanted as he knew his brother would want me to have anything I could use.

He already had a RCBS Rock Chucker in his reloading room and I took the RCBS Junior and dies, bullets, brass for 41 Magnum my friend had just purchased since he got one.

I have had portable reloading before but this time I decided to try something unique and this is what I came up with:

ttSecdvh.jpg

Note: The 1/4" base plate does not need to be clamped to a bench. It is sitting on indoor/outdoor carpet on the steel topped table and doesn't move.
mz1ia9uh.jpg

The 3/4" mounting rods were all turned on my lathe and all are within .002" overall length and turned square on the ends and tapped for 1/4X20 socket head cap screws.
4mFaIECh.jpg

This is the botttom of the plate showing the cap screws exposed on the bottom. The caps sink into the carpet and grip it adjacent to the case mouths indicating where they contact the carpet. The rubber side of the carpet is down.
uFkoR0Hh.jpg

The bowl at top right has a magnet on it for primers to be held in. Vice is bolted to base plate to hold L E Wilson case trimmer. Note the tool handle in the full up position does not contact the table so no pinched fingers.
AIywoBKh.jpg

The top plate is 3/8" plate. Note the collet bullet puller at left rear. It is secured to the 3/8" plate with a 7/8X14 threaded hole and the puller is carried there and there is another hole on the other side for the seat die to be carried in. See first picture for location of second die hole.

The three cases on the right are 30.06 cases with, two on left have had their shoulders set back. The case on the right has been trimmed to length and neck expanded to make 8X60 Mannlicher cases that I made up for a friend who has the rifle. Case on the right is fireformed. I have been making him cases and loading his 8X60 ammo for 35 years.

This whole set up is very rigid. I carried this rig to Virginia last year and reloaded my friends 8x60 ammo. It weighs about 60 lbs I guess so it's weight keeps it in place.

Last edited:
Not to bad at all, if it works that's all that matters. My buddy built a rig that mounts to his trailer hitch.

yes I have seen loading tools and several vise's at Camp Perry on trailer hitches. Best thing about this is you can load on a tailgate by just placing the carpet down and sitting it up on it and doesn't move. It will also sit in back of a station wagon. You can also clamp a lamp to one of the legs

The hand presses are a bit simpler option, but they may not be what you seek. I reloaded for a few years with only a Lyman Hand press; several thousand rifle and pistol reloads. Lee Loaders can even be more primitive/simpler yet.

The PAC tools were very good but I never got around to getting one. Guy that trained me had one. Nifty little device.

Nice job.
I'm going to remember this for when I retire and have a lot of time at the range.
I have made riser stands for all my presses,I think the base of the press at about 4' is a comfortable height for me.

I load standing up so my bench is higher than normal. Had a buddy whose bench was about 4 1/2 feet and it seems like it would be OK but I already had mine built.

Back
Top Bottom