Portable pistol safe for automobile

Attended a class last week at work on armed assailant and I'm told if there is a breach to Run Hide Fight. So that got me thinking after what happened in Fl on Wednesday and this idiotic advice from our safety officer I should start carring going to work and since I can not bring my pistol inside the building to leave my pistol in my car. So I'm in the market for a quality portable pistol safe.
Questions;
I understand with the convoluted MA laws ch140 131C and 131L as interpreted I am better served that the pistol be unloaded.
So my question is can I store loaded magazines for that pistol in the same safe or do I need a second safe? I drive an SUV so I do not have a trunk.
Looking at this as a possibility any thoughts?Transporter Portable Safe by Console Vault FREE SHIPPING

I have one like this in my car and the wife's. Fits under the front seat, it's always there cable locked to the frame. Seldom use it since my kids have finished school and I'm not visiting any GFZ's. Generally, I leave it loaded.

SnapSafe Lock Box

Is your workplace a statutory gun free zone, or just governed by company policy?
Company policy they are just grappling on options at this point. Have a new car, no trunk so I have this new problem wanted to hear how others handle. If you have a trunk you really don't think much about it. I no longer bring my gun to work since I need to know how the law interprets storage of a unattended weapon in a locked car.

I have multiple keyed GunVault safes that I use.... I have a bigger one (Multivault - 2 levels) and a smaller one (Nanovault) and they've worked for me so far. Cable locked under the seat. or sometimes in the trunk (I have a hatchback). I also do not live in Mass (anymore).

I have two of the snapsafes keyed alike. I always keep one in the car just in case. I use the other for various purposes such as storage when staying at my girlfriend's house or when flying.

You're fine keeping it in the car, but it has to be unloaded (eject the mag and rack the slide so you don't have one in the chamber). No problem with keeping the loaded magazines in the same locked case.

However, if it's only company policy, and you don't have metal detectors you have to go through, then concealed means concealed. It's up to you to determine if it's worth the risk.

So why carry at all then? Are you under the false impression you could make it to your car to retrieve you firearm and then run back in to kill the bad guy? You might just as well find your safe place. Opinions may vary.[rofl]

Having an accessible firearm nearby is better than having one 20 - 30 miles away. It doesn't solve all situations (neither does one on your belt) but it does increase options.

OP:

The Console Vault

(I have NOT used this product but there are plenty to research)

You're fine keeping it in the car, but it has to be unloaded (eject the mag and rack the slide so you don't have one in the chamber). No problem with keeping the loaded magazines in the same locked case.

Why do you say unloaded? If driving I agree with you. If parked we are talking storage, not transport. Loaded and locked up meets storage requirements. If you are parking, locking up gun, returning to car, fetching gun from lockbox, driving off, then why unload?

Unloading and locking up off school property before driving onto school property i get. Otherwise...

Why do you say unloaded? If driving I agree with you. If parked we are talking storage, not transport. Loaded and locked up meets storage requirements. If you are parking, locking up gun, returning to car, fetching gun from lockbox, driving off, then why unload?

Unloading and locking up off school property before driving onto school property i get. Otherwise...

The MA law is ambiguous on this point. CH140 GL131c and 131L. I bet if you ask 10 LEO some will say mags need to be separate from gun and others may say the mag can be inserted to the weapon.
My post is talking about storage while at work in a locked car not transport.

Generally because it's in a car, and because that can questionably be transport. See the horseshit LEOs pull with DUI/OUI cases. If it's unloaded you can't be dinged for transport. Call it Massprudence.

Why does his question about vehicle storage options have to result with your attack on his premise?

My parting thoughts...

Get a gun safe for your car.....great idea..... But if the OP is counting on actually making it to his car to actually get his gun....no likely in a mass shooting situation!

Is the OP planning on returning to his office to save his fellow office mates? Again providing the OP actually makes it out of his work place to get to his car. What good is that gun going to do you in the car locked up?

All said there are several threads with great information about storage options....just need do a search.

Also some great threads about concealed carry options in the work place for those of us that carry at work regardless of company policy. Again a simple search.

But opinions may vary....

Back
Top Bottom