Porcupines

Zoro.png

This was the 6th time that our GSD had gotten into a porcupine and probably the least amount of quills he got. I shot 5 of them, albeit after the dog found them first. It always seemed to be either before heading to work around 6am or before bed after 10pm and we have a large portion of our backyard fenced. I think we had visited 4 animal hospitals during his time, unfortunately we lost him end of March 2019 at 9yrs old due to a ruptured spleen. He was always a happy dog, even after playing with those damn porcupines. I used to try to pull the quills if I could but I could never get them all as he wouldn't always sit still.
Smokey-seven, are those your dogs?

Yeah, I found out about the snipping the ends after the last incident. And yes they will keep going as our other shepherd got hit once along with the one above and about a month later one started coming out from the opposite side where she was initially stuck. The vet said we were lucky it went across the front of her chest and didn't puncture a lung, it just kind of stayed under the skin.

Damn. I ain't never seen one in mASS. Ever. Saw a couple driving to SE Ohio for a wedding a decade ago. Mostly in PA and WV. We also saw a baby bear trying to climb a fence to get onto the highway. But I digress.

hate to say it, but I think I would prefer porcupines over skunk.

I've dealt first hand with more than 5 skunks. Leave them alone and you are fine. Mess with them and you stink for a while.

Damn. I ain't never seen one in mASS. Ever.

I've bird hunted in MA for more than 40 years. I've put down more than 10 Porkies and proud of it!

Damn. I ain't never seen one in mASS. Ever. Saw a couple driving to SE Ohio for a wedding a decade ago. Mostly in PA and WV. We also saw a baby bear trying to climb a fence to get onto the highway. But I digress.

You saw a couple porcupines driving to SE Ohio for a wedding? Did they tell you they were going to a wedding or were they just dressed for one?

Porcupines don't exactly go looking for a fight, if only because they're slow as heck.

I crossed paths with the grandfather of all quill pigs in Wisconsin, thought it was a young bear at first glance. We had our german shepherd on a short lease because he had a history of tangling with skunks, and were glad of the leash. Porcupines can live for +25 years, this guy must have been up there, was entirely done up in shades of gray. Hard to gauge how big he was inside that mass of quills, but just head to tail he was longer than our adult german shepherd.

I've got a few little ones on my property here in NH, but as long as they don't try to eat my house or tools (apparently they like the salt) I'm a live-and-let-live kind of guy.

Destructive little beasts! I shot one up in Vermont when I was an Appleseed instructor, that varmint chewed the siding on several buildings at that club.

feeling sorry for the doggies.[hmmm][shocked][angry]

For those that have any feeling for protecting Porcupines or not shooting them while hunting, then you have never seen this in real life.

View attachment 324875
I've seen it in real life. My last dog had it about as bad as the dogs in the pic.. Plus she had quills in both paws. That ended up in a $150 vet bill. But on the plus side the dog never went after one again. Or a skunk either. One run in was enough for her. And no, I don't shoot them. In fact, the porkies feed from my compost bin most of the year.

Porcupines don't exactly go looking for a fight, if only because they're slow as heck.

I crossed paths with the grandfather of all quill pigs in Wisconsin, thought it was a young bear at first glance. We had our german shepherd on a short lease because he had a history of tangling with skunks, and were glad of the leash. Porcupines can live for +25 years, this guy must have been up there, was entirely done up in shades of gray. Hard to gauge how big he was inside that mass of quills, but just head to tail he was longer than our adult german shepherd.

I've got a few little ones on my property here in NH, but as long as they don't try to eat my house or tools (apparently they like the salt) I'm a live-and-let-live kind of guy.
Yeah, going for a groundhog we trapped a huge ppine - filled the trap. A trap meant for coyote. He was fine. I released him and he waddled off. Amazing number of quills are still up for grabs. (Karma?)

My dog is usually quick enough to only get one or two in the face. Ive been able to pull them myself without a vet visit.

im hoping shes learned her lesson from the last time. Never sure though.

Ive also ran into a few walking in to the stand while archery hunting. One was in my tree and in my way. It got an arrow

My lab has found a few while bird hunting.
luckily for him (and me) they all had climbed up a tree before we got there.
I’m just waiting for the day... that or skunk.

Our female Akita killed a huge skunk in my backyard.

Skunk must have weighed 20 pounds.

Dog took a direct hit to the head - man, what a stink!

You aren't looking very hard. LOL, They are all over that state. I kill everyone I can, They are destroy valuable timber, by girdling the trees. Where I live now I drag them off into the woods for the coyotes to get quilled.

No porcupine story here - but I had an issue with something going after my chickens. Ended up getting a skunk in the hav-a-hart trap. That stunk.

Back
Top Bottom