• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poor retention

Can I just heat this up and put more pressure where the arrow is pointing? Right now it is pretty weak.

Attachments

• FAD95FB4-72E1-4DDE-9C31-13E5EB3AC0C2.jpeg
    FAD95FB4-72E1-4DDE-9C31-13E5EB3AC0C2.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 48
Crossbreed has video instructions on how to adjust retention with a heat gun or hair dryer. Or, I'm pretty sure they'll do it for free if you send it back.

Still, it's a hybrid, so retention is going to be dependent on your shape, where you wear it and how tight you buckle your belt. My first holster was a Crossbreed MiniTuck. It hasn't left the closet in years.

Last edited:
Kydex is heat formed whether you use a full or half shell.
And it's a pretty low temperature plastic. To just soften the trigger guard with hot air, you need to cover everything else with a wet towel or it will all try to revert to a flat sheet.

Side story about "plastic memory ". Probably in the 1940s my dad put an old toothbrush in a pot of boiling water to soften it to make (I forget what) out of it. A few minutes later, in the pot was a straight, round rod of plastic with bristles. Apparently toothbrushes were formed from round rod pladtic stock back then.

And it's a pretty low temperature plastic. To just soften the trigger guard with hot air, you need to cover everything else with a wet towel or it will all try to revert to a flat sheet.

I was caught off guard with how fast and how little hot air is required to make adjustments to kydex, so your point is worth heeding. Just used a normal hair dryer and ended up mangling a holster by over heating it. Thought I was going to need a heat gun, so I wasn't expecting it to go soft so fast.

OP it's never going to retain how you want it to.
Likely true. I gave up on mine after an afternoon of getting in and out of a small, low car who's seat put a lot of pressure on the gun I was wearing at 4:30. That evening I found the gun was shifting in the holster enough that it disengaged the safety on my MA compliant LC9s.
Also, I won't mention names, but we have a member that liked Crossbreed hybrids so much that she didn't abandon it until after the 2nd time it dumped her gun in the toilet[rofl]

My first holster was a Crossbreed MiniTuck. It hasn't left the closet in years.
Not my first holster but same result, I found it while packing for my move a few weeks ago. Interesting concept but I prefer a full Kydex AIWB now (Vedder Light Tuck w/ Clinger cushion).

Check out tucker gun leather "the mini". I never understood carrying a subcompact in a giant two belt clip/loop holster.

Back
Top Bottom