1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Pontiff Protecting Pederasts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by endus, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. endus

endus

The Catholic Church is at it again...trying to cover its ass and avoid responsibility for institutionalized sexual abuse.

http://gawker.com/the-new-york-catholic-church-paid-lobbyists-2-1-millio-1779601553

People keep telling me how Christian morality is the foundation of our country, how there can BE no morality without Christianity/religion, and how all of this is in the Church's past. Yea, don't think so.

2. tk421991

tk421991

Christian and Catholic are not synonyms.

2 people like this.
  3. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

Religion is not the problem. Perversion of religion by bad people is the problem. Same goes for those that blame guns for bad things.

2 people like this.
  4. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Never trust a catholic priest....ever.

5. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

and some sick **** pedo priests don't represent the body of the church.

1 person likes this.
  6. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

The fact that many people can't live up to their own values doesn't diminish the importance of those values.

2 people like this.
  7. Chet0729

Chet0729

This thread wont end well.
    IBTL

8. new guy

new guy NES Member

The church has done itself no favors with the handling of any of this. If anything they've facilitated it and covered it up , so they're just as guilty. The church itself of course, not your average catholic.

2 people like this.
  9. Carl in Ct

Carl in Ct

This old argument again? The Catholic church does not speak for or represent Christianity, nor do the psychos who bomb abortion centers, etc, etc. As far as morality goes, no you don't have to be Christian to be basically moral. That said, the basis for what western society defines as moral originated from basic Judeo-Christian values such as the Ten Commandments. The first four deal with our relationship with God and His expectations with that so I will skip ahead to #5 and go to #10.

[TABLE]
    [TR="class: monotype"]
    [TD="class: monotypebig"]5[/TD]
    [TD]“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="class: monotypebig"]6[/TD]
    [TD]“You shall not murder.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="class: monotypebig"]7[/TD]
    [TD]“You shall not commit adultery.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="class: monotypebig"]8[/TD]
    [TD]“You shall not steal.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="class: monotypebig"]9[/TD]
    [TD]“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="class: monotypebig"]10[/TD]
    [TD]“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

In plain English, commandments 5-10 form a large part of the basis for western morality;
    Respect your parents/elders
    Don't commit murder
    Don't cheat on your spouse
    Don't steal
    Don't slander/liable/gossip
    Don't lust after your neighbors' spouse or their belongings

In the New Testament Jesus Christ preached that we should love our neighbors whoever they may be (all men are created equal), love others as we love ourselves (the golden rule), turn the other cheek (forgiveness), go the extra mile (grace), if someone sues you for your coat give them your shirt as well (mercy). Those are more basic tenants of western morality found in the Bible.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that you have to be religious in any faith to practice morality today but to say that Judeo-Christian values had nothing to do with the formation of western culture/morality is not accurate and frankly looks like an attempt to take a shot at a belief system you don't agree with. It's fine if you don't like Christianity, or religion in general, I would never want to restrict your right to feel that way and openly speak out about it.

Yes, there have been misguided and sometimes horrible people who did horrible, immoral things and called themselves Christians and even tried to say they represented the Christian church. They did not, even if they may have the official backing of the Catholic or some other church. Again, no church, person or group of people speaks for all of Christianity, not the Catholic church, not the Pope, nobody. Only God Himself can do that and He so that through his Word.

So please don't assume the Catholic church represents Christianity or try to rewrite history to pretend that the Judeo-Christian morality/tradition wasn't an important and positive part of the formation of western civilization because there are bad people who claim to be Christians and even hide behind the corrupt Catholic church. That kind of logic is like saying black people are thugs because you saw a black person robbing a convenience store. That's racist and wrong but yet you seem to want to assign that same line of reasoning to your opinion of Christianity.

7 people like this.
  10. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I didn't close this thread, but I feel cheated, I didn't even get to post this....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.