• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poncho Liners and such

poncho liner is amazing. i am sitting here typing on my couch with one draped over me. never referred to them as woobies, to my knowledge, that's an army thing. we always called them poncho liners.

Best piece of kit pretty much ever. Second would be the smoking jacket. I intend on having both of them in my casket when I go.

Still have mine. Also still keep a poncho in my range cart to cover my gear on the line.

We usually called them "Green girls."

When I got to 3rd ID in Germany I had a "Marne Blazer" made. It was the standard issue rain coat with a poncho liner cut up and sewn into it. Obviously back before Goretex was invented....

I have a poncho liner in each office, one in the back of each car, and my son has one on his bed....

"When I got to 3rd ID in Germany I had a "Marne Blazer" made. It was the standard issue rain coat with a poncho liner cut up and sewn into it. Obviously back before Goretex was invented...."

"GrafenWoehr Parkas." Soldiers still ask for them from time to time...

Cho liners got the name Woobie after the movie "Mr. Mom came out. it twas the mame his 4 year old had for his baby blanket.
so anyone in before the late 80s ( i think) has no idea what a woobie is...

Last edited:
I've heard the poncho / poncho liner combo referred to as a "Ranger blanket".
A "Ranger sandwich" is a poncho and liner on the ground, two soldiers, and a poncho and liner on top of them. This allows one to rest while the other is on guard, and can silently wake the other soldier if something is up. Or kick him in the shins with your boot if he doesn't stand to.....

" in Germany I had a "Marne Blazer" made. It was the standard issue rain coat with a poncho liner cut up and sewn into it...

Yup! that nasty stinking rubber rain coat was transformed into a much coveted, dry and warm winter coat!

I thought the poncho itself was useless, it was about as waterproof as a cotton shirt.

Poncho liners were great in the field and proved to be very useful in garrison on the weekends as well...[grin]

Paratroopers on the beach well after sunrise south of Venice, Italy after an all night beach party, circa 1987.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

I still have one that I carry in a stuff sack in my truck. I regret giving my other one to some kid from Calgary while we were bumming around Europe after my "European out"/ETS. Of note, the kid in the third photo was a recent high school grad, tall skinny kid from Houston that worked in the battalion S-2 shop with me. He stayed in, got a commission and was badly wounded in Afghanistan as a company commander. Shot 5 times during prolonged firefight. Now a Major or LTC and still on active duty. I raised him from a pup but unfortunately we did not keep in touch.

The poncho liner pics are from the morning after. The 4th pic is from the afternoon before the party started....
Airborne!!

The poncho liner was also a very valuable item when trading gear with foreign soldiers.

Everybody liked them and wanted one for themselves.

Just got my new gear issue from my Marine Corps Reserve unit. There was indeed a way to improve upon the design...i thought of it, i swear...but they did it!

My new one has a zipper to make it into a lite sleeping system/liner for 3 season system to increase insulation loft. Pretty cool. Also, somehow they made is SOFTER...if i didn't need for the field i'd have probably rolled it up.and had my way with it already.

Googled poncho liner and would you believe Amazon sells them (genuine military issue) for $37.99 and free shipping. Who'd have thought?

yes, the ziper has been done for years locally. GI's took them down town to the local seamstress. glad the Marines are issuing it this way..
We folded them in half and the stitched the bottom and 3 feet up the side. This way it kept it from migrating open. Still allowed you to get out quick, did not add weight or bulk like the zipper.

Where can I get a real field jacket?
Old woodland pattern or early 3 color desert?
Extra large size now. Dont Judge!

A real one? Ebay - they haven't been an issue item for a long time, haven't seen a real one in a surplus store in a while. There are a bunch of importers selling new copies, though. Alfa Ind. was one of the bigger DoD contractors of M-65s that's still around. They still sell them, but I believe those are now imported, too.

I've got the two patterns you're looking at, but they are both large, and I'm not getting rid of them. Sentimental reasons, really. I've got an OD green M65 they issued me in basic during the transition to BDUs as well.

A real one? Ebay - they haven't been an issue item for a long time, haven't seen a real one in a surplus store in a while.
I was actually just at Banana's down here on the South Shore a few days ago. They definitely had some.

Back
Top Bottom