• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poncho Liners and such

the kitten loves the one you gave him, he also sometimes curls up inside that pack. loves the smell of afghanistan for some reason. he's an odd duck.

It was indeed a fine smelling place! Im glad hes rocking out on the woobie, theres no better item to sleep on lol

Last I knew mine was somewhere in South East Asia. Never used it much. To slippery to be of any good humping through the boonies. Coludn't keep the thing wrapped on a pack with canvas straps. It kept slipping out. Nice at night though when I had it and when it wasn't monsoon season.

Last I knew mine was somewhere in South East Asia. Never used it much. To slippery to be of any good humping through the boonies. Coludn't keep the thing wrapped on a pack with canvas straps. It kept slipping out. Nice at night though when I had it and when it wasn't monsoon season.

Dude, say the word and one will be in the mail, Ill even wash and dry it first!

Pentagon Issues Shocking Poncho Liner Recall; Well-Loved “Woobie” Now Banned

From my cold, dead [STRIKE=hands]hands[/STRIKE] body! [wink]

LINK

In a dramatic revelation that is sure to rock active duty military and veteran communities all over the world, the Pentagon quietly released guidance that directs Central Issue Facilities across all US military activities to recall the “poncho liner,” a stuffing-filled nylon blanket which is perhaps the most popular and widespread piece of military equipment ever issued, and for commanders to ban the use of ones purchased on the civilian market. These unprecedented actions are reportedly being taken due to troop safety, budgeting, and climate change concerns.

My buddy bought 3 and made underquilts for his and his son's hammocks. My brother in law did the same.

- - - Updated - - -

From my cold, dead [STRIKE=hands]hands[/STRIKE] body! [wink]

LINK

Article 107 News is a satire site, and you shouldn’t think anything we post is real. You should, however, mercilessly mock anyone who does. If you want real news, go to our sister site, The Havok Journal or see our friends over at Task & Purpose
lmao

We usually called them "Green girls."
When I got to 3rd ID in Germany I had a "Marne Blazer" made. It was the standard issue rain coat with a poncho liner cut up and sewn into it. Obviously back before Goretex was invented....

In was in 2/30 based at Schweinfurt in 67 & 68. TC on an M114. Quickly took a poncho and wool blanket to local seamstress and had a jacket made. Warm and dry. Sort of. Tracks were refrigerators and heaters never worked.

Poncho liners started showing up in Vietnam in early/mid 66 IIRC. Heavy canvas shelter halves with stakes and poles were quickly ditched.

Last edited:
Mine, by the mid seventies had so many rips, tears ,stains, cigarette burn marks, I had to survey it. Forgot all about them till about ten years ago. Went out and bought a couple more. . . . Perfect for summer sleeping. They still rock !

Poncho liner was a coveted piece of gear. That and the field jacket liner. I came in at 1995 and the field jacket was long gone but the liners were still around and with no field jackets issued, they were plentiful. Used to wear the liner under my cammies, like one would with the old poly-pros, and tuck the collar/lapel area under the cammies so it didn't show.

Two other peices of gear come to mind. The fleece and boat sweater. I was issued a nice polar-tech OD green fleece with the EGA on the tag over the back of the shoulders. This was new to me my first time in Irag (2003) I still wear it often. I've stiched and repaired that thing so many times.....

The boat sweater was a wool blend, brown turtleneck sweater with 4 buttons up top, was popular on submarines. They discontinued it and guys on the boat would wear the new black fleece jacket for a boat sweater. We could still wear our old brown ones but few did preffering the fleece jacket. I wore mine though. Mostly out of comfort and nostalgia. I still wear it around the house often, its like my comfy Mr. Rogers sweater.

The Marines didn't issue the greatest gear compared to whats out there today, but a few items never needed improving upon anyways.

my original poncho liner from '94 is long gone..... Bosnia deployment saw to that.... i have a replacement i bought before ETSing that has rarely been used....

this thread reminds me... i need to get a liner for my field jacket.... they had us turn ours in when we were issued Gortex parkas....

still have the Gortex too.... great raincoat....

Back
Top Bottom