Poncho Liners and such

Any one remember the Poncho liner. some call it the Woobie, Which is a reference to the child's blanket in Mr. Mom.
Who Still Has There's? If So It Has to be one of the best pieces of military gear ever....If my poncho liner could Talk.........

I'm old enough to remember (and was issued & used them) but I like being dry so I moved on after Gore-Tex was invented. These days I'll use most any kind of waterproof-breathable rain gear. Cabela's DryPlus works very well and costs less than Gore-Tex.

I've still got two of them, the one issued in 1994 that's been everywhere, and it's unused backup from 1998. I did move the ties around so it can be made into a halfass sleeping bag. Great piece of gear, mine's with me now. Not much call to use it in the FL panhandle, but you never know. [wink]

Still got mine, still use it. It's great for low-drag camping, say April-early October. That, plus that weird tube-shaped scarf you can roll up and jam over your whole noggin, are the two best pieces of snivel gear they ever came up with.

Last edited:
I took one and folded it in half and stitched the bottom and about 2.5 ft up the side together. This made it much better at keeping your feet warm, still allowed you to get out of it quickly. also kept you from slipping out of it.. I have seen zippers sewn in to them also, but that added weight and bulk.

I remember and wish someone would use the old patterns and update them with the newer cutting edge materials, could you imagine a waterproof breathable poncho with a primaloft liners and lets make them in updated camo, or better yet plain black, tan, green etc... I would love to have an M65 Field jacket that was Gortex/Dry Plus hell even a regular nylon/blend vs cotton and again a liner made of one of the new superlight insulations like climashield, polarguard, thinsalate etc...

woobies are the bomb diggity. wrapped myself up in mine the other day out in the woods. extra layers can never hurt when it's that chilly.

I have mine that I had in Vietnam. It was like a security blanket then and remains a valued possession even though it sits in my duffle bag. The thing had the ability to keep you warm and even in the heat not over heat you. I just can't get rid of it.

I still have mine and take it when I am going to be in a hotel. Keeps me from having to touch some skanky bed.

I found it wasn't all that warm out in the field, but it was better than nothing. It worked better when actually combined with a poncho to keep the wind and dew off you.

I still have mine and take it when I am going to be in a hotel. Keeps me from having to touch some skanky bed.

I found it wasn't all that warm out in the field, but it was better than nothing. It worked better when actually combined with a poncho to keep the wind and dew off you.

you mean you can actually use these to line ponchos...!

i was issued one by the USMC and one tactically acquired at combat training. absolutely one of my favorite pieces of gear. one of them is on my bed right now (yeah, i'm single...what of it!)

I still have a USGI Poncho Liner.

Like others have said, it is a great piece of gear!

Warm, lightweight, dries quickly.

I'd strap two of them (and the poncho) under my butt-pack to use them as light sleeping bag.

Now a days, I have added Velcro on two sides and use it as a sleeping bag liner. It helps to protect and keep the main sleeping bag clean - I only need to wash the poncho liner at the end of a few nights out.

i've never washed mine...lol...didn't even know it needed it.

Dirty gear (knit hats, socks, shirts, coats, pants, sleeping bags, poncho liners, etc.) has a hard time retaining its insulation value.

With the fabric and filler clogged with body grime, you lose that space to trap warm, dry air.

To maximize the insulation value you need to have the filler material fluff up and reach its maximum loft.

The filler can get matted down by body grime or dirt from the ground.

Probably not a big deal bundled up on the couch watching a movie, but it can make a big difference in the back-country.

What's this poncho liner of which you speak? We had helmet liners, field jacket liners. I still have a jacket and liner..wish I could get more. In 4 years of active duty, I never heard of a poncho liner.

Back in the 60's I had ponchos that loved to collect water on the inside during humid/wet weather, but I never heard of a liner. I hated that damned poncho. It was always as wet on the inside as it was on the outside.

The only thing it was remotely useful for was the floor of a shelter half...if you could find someone that had the other half and could actually make a tent.

What's this poncho liner of which you speak? We had helmet liners, field jacket liners.

The poncho liner is made from the same materials and filler as the field jacket liners (another great piece of kit).

It is about the size of a bed sheet and can be used as a blanket, light sleeping bag, sun shade and probably a few other things.

Here is a picture of one:

US%20woodland%20camo%20poncho%20liner.jpg

I never used one in a pancho, but I used a couple for blankets at Camp Eagle. Nice and warm during the wet times. Had to leave 'em behind, though.

On Queenfish the XO and COB(Chief of the Boat) decided to replace all the wool blankets on the boat with poncho liners on the racks. It looked cool. The liners weren't as warm as the wool blankets. It all ended when Squadron saw them. Not very flame retardent. We took" most" of them over to Koneoe to a Marine unit so they were put to good use. I have used a poncho and liner to sleep on the beach in Hawaii admittedly after a beer or two, worked great.

I have 2, the one i was issued in '92 and a second one bought ten or so years ago. I have it on now while watching tv since my place is about 57 degrees.

I had 2 at the time of my ETS. I gave one to a friend when we were backpacking around Europe and the other one is in a stuff sack under the seat in my truck.
Great piece of gear....good for sleeping on the beach, hay fields and maybe some military uses too...Never used it to line a poncho though.

Back
Top Bottom