• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Polymer80 pistol seized in Brockton

Interestingly, BPD isn’t charging for “unserialized firearm” or “ghost gun”. They specifically referred to it as a “Poly 80” gun. So they acknowledge p80s as a firearm, but you know how the moonbats will respond.

Looking at the picture, a few thoughts came to mind:
1) The rounds for the keltec look like six hardball and one hollowpoint. wtf?
2) Apparently there was no ammo in the P80's extended mag - because there aren't any pictures of it.
3) That extended mag has no scratches or scuffs on it - it looks brand new.

Interestingly, BPD isn’t charging for “unserialized firearm” or “ghost gun”. They specifically referred to it as a “Poly 80” gun. So they acknowledge p80s as a firearm, but you know how the moonbats will respond.
It could be serialized p80 serialized some and sells them to customers

Yeah it’s just a matter of time until 80%ers are history.
It will be, but we know this isn't going to solve the problem thanks to 3d printers.

This cat's out of the bag, and even if you make home manufacturing illegal it's not going to stop this problem. MA has some of the "best" gun laws in the country and we still see these things? Why? Because our gun laws work and p80's/3d printed stuff are easier to obtain. This might be a win for the antigunners who are saying "see, laws work" but in reality instead of a glock its a home built glock with no serial number, not a knife. This problem isn't going to resolve itself by making legal owners jump through more hoops, the guns aren't going to go away.

It will be, but we know this isn't going to solve the problem thanks to 3d printers.

This cat's out of the bag, and even if you make home manufacturing illegal it's not going to stop this problem. MA has some of the "best" gun laws in the country and we still see these things? Why? Because our gun laws work and p80's/3d printed stuff are easier to obtain. This might be a win for the antigunners who are saying "see, laws work" but in reality instead of a glock its a home built glock with no serial number, not a knife. This problem isn't going to resolve itself by making legal owners jump through more hoops, the guns aren't going to go away.
What "problem" is that? Gunz?

Yeah it’s just a matter of time until 80%ers are history.

And Mary Jew Wanna. Because if you want something stopped, just make it illegal. No one ever breaks a law.

And let's talk about how they seize his cash and weed. Aren't both cash and weed legal in this state??? I've got some in my pocket right now. Cash, I mean.

I'm not saying this guy ISN'T probably a dirtbag, but so far we've got 2A overreach, and seizing of what appears to be legal items in the state and claimed as a "crime." (I assume the amount of weed exceeded state limits, which is 10oz - I had to look that one up.)

I'm wondering, after we've made MJ legal, is it really in the police's best interest to be busting pot dealers???? I mean, who was the last pot-head that went on a shooting rampage??? [Pothead runs into mall with AK-47] "OK, I'm really pissed off. If someone don't gimme no Cheetos or a grill cheese sandwich in the next 2 minutes, I'm gonna start popping people!"

Looking at the picture, a few thoughts came to mind:
1) The rounds for the keltec look like six hardball and one hollowpoint. wtf?
2) Apparently there was no ammo in the P80's extended mag - because there aren't any pictures of it.
3) That extended mag has no scratches or scuffs on it - it looks brand new.
He was about to take that brick of cash to buy enough ammo to fill that mag before getting caught. I think he would have been a little short with current pricing.

I am amazed how often I hear about 3d printing as THE solution. Have you tried to print a part that was even close in strength to P80 frame? PET crumbles just by looking at it. PETG terrible stringing effect in hollow parts. Nylon smells to high heavens and requires some serious printing heads plus enclosures plus dehydrators. After you settle on a material, then you have to deal with inconsistent layer adhesion.
At best, 3D-printed frames are a gimmick. Not practical at all and yes, I have seen Defence Unlimited videos of a semi-auto 3d printed gun.

I am amazed how often I hear about 3d printing as THE solution. Have you tried to print a part that was even close in strength to P80 frame? PET crumbles just by looking at it. PETG terrible stringing effect in hollow parts. Nylon smells to high heavens and requires some serious printing heads plus enclosures plus dehydrators. After you settle on a material, then you have to deal with inconsistent layer adhesion.
At best, 3D-printed frames are a gimmick. Not practical at all and yes, I have seen Defence Unlimited videos of a semi-auto 3d printed gun.
Some people have this nailed down pretty well, reddit.com/r/guns has some users that do a great job, but yeah, 3d printing is extremely finnicky.

Some examples:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/jzik44/magdump_monday_3d_printed_glock_frame_emptying_a/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/kvxcoq/3d_printed_glock_26_frame_testing/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/kxaq1b/testing_3d_printed_hipower_frames_twohanded/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/hfn6gh/3d_printed_vz61_skorpion_receiver_testing/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/jdvzyn/the_first_3d_printed_scorpion_evo_has_been/

These guns are getting extremely practical, but they need a huge amount of learning and discipline on the 3d printing side to get any sort of reliability. You and I know these frames don't last forever, but at $4 a frame it's going to take at least a hundred frames before you were better off buying the glock branded firearm.

I can't stress enough though, these aren't plug and play items, these are end game "I know my shit" kits, but that's only for today. 20 years from now is a different story.

I can't stress enough though, these aren't plug and play items, these are end game "I know my shit" kits, but that's only for today. 20 years from now is a different story.
Well said! Couldn't agree more. When I was playing with this stuff, I asked myself: "Can I conceal carry this every day and feel confident that it will not fail me in the time of need". I could not answer this question in a positive and moved onto other 3D printing projects that are just as useful such as CNC machines that can turn a hunk of aluminum into a frame.

Well said! Couldn't agree more. When I was playing with this stuff, I asked myself: "Can I conceal carry this every day and feel confident that it will not fail me in the time of need". I could not answer this question in a positive and moved onto other 3D printing projects that are just as useful such as CNC machines that can turn a hunk of aluminum into a frame.
Ghost gunner > 3d printer

If I could figure out how to get one and not be on a list I'd have one by now.

Consumer 3D printing is still in its infancy, so the fact that one can have a working pistol lower or entire CZ Scorpion is pretty damn impressive, even if it only lasts a couple hundred rounds before failure. We're practically through with proof of concept and beta phase at this point, meaning every next step in printing technology will only further legitimize 3D printing as a real solution.

There is a new FDM technique called continuous fiber reinforcement that is starting to find its way into industrial applications, where it is said to be a cheaper alternative for aluminum in a lot of scenarios. I think in a year or two's time, it will trickle down to the consumer market. If and when that happens, you'll no longer have any strength or delamination concerns with FDM. You'll make parts with similar strength to fiber reinforced compression molding, with something as simple as a dual extruder FDM printer.

But that being said, I don't think any of this is done with practicality in mind. The "why bother" part is because it's an exercise in freedom and a skill worth knowing.

I'm waiting for prices on metal 3D printers to come down. If something like this drops down to, say 10K, this becomes a viable small business tool!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdiwBiw5dyo

All those metal sintering and the like are really freaking cool, but having to potentially chemical bathe and anneal after a print makes the technology trickle down a challenge. It's then not just the printer and the print material, but a vapor chamber and specialized oven that can maintain perfect temp. So I'm thinking even a "cheap" consumer solution would still be out of reach for many. If I were going metal, I think I'd want a 5-axis CNC machine. If those could break into $3k and below (currently wishful thinking), then I'd be all over one of those.

And Mary Jew Wanna. Because if you want something stopped, just make it illegal. No one ever breaks a law.

And let's talk about how they seize his cash and weed. Aren't both cash and weed legal in this state??? I've got some in my pocket right now. Cash, I mean.

I'm not saying this guy ISN'T probably a dirtbag, but so far we've got 2A overreach, and seizing of what appears to be legal items in the state and claimed as a "crime." (I assume the amount of weed exceeded state limits, which is 10oz - I had to look that one up.)

I'm wondering, after we've made MJ legal, is it really in the police's best interest to be busting pot dealers???? I mean, who was the last pot-head that went on a shooting rampage??? [Pothead runs into mall with AK-47] "OK, I'm really pissed off. If someone don't gimme no Cheetos or a grill cheese sandwich in the next 2 minutes, I'm gonna start popping people!"
It's not the evil weed, it's the tax revenue they are evading that makes this a double super serious crime.

Back
Top Bottom