• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Polymer V Steel/Metal Frame

I was looking at the CZ 75 in a polymer frame. I'm interested in buying it, but I'm not sure. All of my handguns have steel frames. I know steel frames but I like how light the polymer is. I know Polymers have been around for a while and I have read some pro's and con's on other sites regarding them. Some polymer frames can develop stress cracks, but that is rare.

Any of you have an opinion?

Wayne

I was looking at the CZ 75 in a polymer frame. I'm interested in buying it, but I'm not sure. All of my handguns have steel frames. I know steel frames but I like how light the polymer is. I know Polymers have been around for a while and I have read some pro's and con's on other sites regarding them. Some polymer frames can develop stress cracks, but that is rare.

Wayne

The polymer vs steel frame debate is looooooong over...Beaten to death.....Buried......Dug up....Beaten again....burned........Buried again. . Polymer guns work and like you said stress cracks are rare......And are likely to occur only on cheap ass guns you shouldn't be buying anyway. If polymer frames were an issue do you think all the leo agencies and now even the army would be using them?

Last edited:

Wayne

I like the steel frames more than the polymer to shoot- both the weight and balance and the ergonomics just seem better.
The polymer, however, is cheaper, and lighter so if you're planning on carrying it, or paying for it, you should consider the P07/09 family.

The plastic is lighter but you will give up some accuracy. Personally, in a frantic situation a plastic gun may feel too light, something like getting a huge strike on a light fishing rod.
I like steel or aluminum. I think the heavier weight will give me more control and really, your not going to feel like your holding anything when someone all of the sudden starts shooting at you.
Like my drill Sargent use to say, "You think you're tired? I'll bet if bullets start hitting all around you, you wont be tired for the next 3 days."

Back
Top Bottom