Polymer Lowers, Good Or Bad?

I have been looking around at some polymer lowers recently and am wondering if anyone has tried them on a build? From what I read online, they have problems with cracks in the receiver, light primer strikes (if components are polymer), not being able to take regular wear and tear, and poor performance in cold weather. Those are just the most common problems that have come up. I see these lowers are quite cheaper than metal ones. Clearly, they should be cheaper because it is easier to produce, but does the lesser cost represent lower quality?

I personally would only use a polymer lower for a .22 platform. I've also heard of them cracking, although I have never seen a photo of one that has cracked.

I agree with using them for a .22lr platform, if the price is lower than a metal one, but I was more looking into .223/5.56, 300blk, and 7.62x39 chambered rifles.

IMG_20130304_205217.jpg

cavarmslower3.jpg

IMG_01221.jpg

Had our FMK polymer lower start showing cracks in record time with a slide fire stock...originally thought plastic on
plastic was a good idea. Not...

IMO polymer lower = bad
View attachment 95095
Mine only lasted about 300 rounds of xm193
did it split right up the buffer tube detent spring hole?

- - - Updated - - -

Some poly lowers got a metal block in the buffer tower that's really the only weak point on them ..

The Omni Gen 2 have these in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally would only use a polymer lower for a .22 platform. I've also heard of them cracking, although I have never seen a photo of one that has cracked.
A local firearm store here in RI had OMNI Gen 1's on sale a few months back for $145 for a complete lower, all I had to do was slap my .22lr upper on it and I had a great plinker for cheap money.

I got a poly lower a while back when there was nothing else available. I just installed the lower parts kit yesterday. Given the extra work custom fitting it for a standard lpk, it is not worth it.

I probably won't even finish it at this point. I would rather wait for a group buy on blems or get another quality aluminum lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What would you save? $30 at best? On the overall cost of the rifle you're talking less than 5% of the total value to risk the integrity. I am sure most are fine, but some crack and they're definitely less robust. If it cracks think of the hassle to replace it, and the additional cost. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I'm curious what brand were the ones that failed?

I have a new frontier armory one that I think is okay, but haven't shot yet due to no range. It will probably end up as a 22 platform.

I will agree that given the choice between a metal lower and polymer in the same price range, I would go with metal, unless there was a specific reason to want to use polymer. The reason could be weight or just wanting to do one of those polymer 80s that are out there now.

For the price difference, don't see the point. If you're trying to build the lightest possible rifle, then maybe.

For the price difference, don't see the point. If you're trying to build the lightest possible rifle, then maybe.

This. My 5.56 m4orgery is close to twice as heavy has my .22 w/ poly lower.

I built if for fun and introducing newbies to shooting. It's an easy transition from the .22 to the .223, but some people find the .223 intimidating at first thanks to the MA approved muzzle break.

I prefer my .22 to be as close in weight to my 5.56 as possible for more realistic practice drills and handling. I got the Performance Center 15-22 for that reason, but it is still two pounds lighter than my WW. My current 5.56 build will split the difference between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aero sells "blem" lowers for $59. And they aren't even blemished. Same as Palmetto State Armory.

I would never buy a polymer lower, not even for a .22LR platform.

I second this. Bought my first from them and never was able to see what the blemish was. Got my second on the way. I'll probably never buy a non-blemished upper or lower (cosmetic) if I can help it. A scratch or ding here or there, or a color variation doesnt mean a whole lot to me. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom